Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: UC Berkeley Study Determines Lane Splitting Is Safe  (Read 9320 times)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
Re: UC Berkeley Study Determines Lane Splitting Is Safe
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 04:36:45 AM »

Lane splitting nowadays is like playing Russian roulette if you ask me, too many distracted drivers (or I should say phone holders steering down the road) these days. I never agreed with it period, same thing as cutting in line. Remember what happens to the kids that cut the lunch line? I can see why some people open doors and close the gap. I hate traffic just like the next person, but just because I'm on a bike doesn't make me anymore special than other motorists sitting in line waiting their turn. I know air cooled engines don't enjoy bumper to bumper traffic and that's exactly why I avoid it. If I have to go somewhere and can't avoid it no matter what route I take, that's when the bike stays home and what an air conditioned car is for.     
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 07:51:30 AM »

Lane splitting nowadays is like playing Russian roulette if you ask me, too many distracted drivers (or I should say phone holders steering down the road) these days. I never agreed with it period, same thing as cutting in line. Remember what happens to the kids that cut the lunch line? I can see why some people open doors and close the gap. I hate traffic just like the next person, but just because I'm on a bike doesn't make me anymore special than other motorists sitting in line waiting their turn. I know air cooled engines don't enjoy bumper to bumper traffic and that's exactly why I avoid it. If I have to go somewhere and can't avoid it no matter what route I take, that's when the bike stays home and what an air conditioned car is for.   

thats the typical attitude of someone not from california.  most people that live in california are aware of the practice and are used to it.  studies have shown that by allowing bikes to 'filter' that it actually enables all traffic to move at a faster pace.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 11:05:35 PM »

Also I believe studies have shown that lane splitting it is safer for riders by making collisions from the rear of motorcycles less likely to happen if they are allowed to go to the front on stopped traffic at red lights.

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »

When I lived in Southern California I split lanes quite often. When I was on my Road King it was a little more difficult because I had the wider beach bars.  Most if the time you will have a CHP motor cop filter through. I would try to get behind them and ride at a safe distance behind them. It was like parting the red sea. Nobody is going to squeeze them and if they could they opened the gap.

It can be a nerve wracking experience. Another reason to need to keep moving is the valley heat. Sit completely stopped with an air cooled engine and it's not a happy time for you or the motor. A 95 degree day in concrete it ashphalt is hot.
2015 CVO Limited

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 11:54:04 AM »

I agree, lane splitting in stop and go traffic is fine.
At speeds above 30 mph, not so much!!
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »

I agree, lane splitting in stop and go traffic is fine.
At speeds above 30 mph, not so much!!

It appears that various States agree and are now considering the issue.   Oregon Considers SB694 Lane-Splitting Bill

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 02:10:24 PM »

What will always elevate the danger is the uneducated cagers that we're sharing the road with.  They're either mad because you're still moving or trying to let you know that you're breaking the law when you're actually not.  They are breaking the law by squeezing you or opening a door.
2015 CVO Limited

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »

Also I believe studies have shown that lane splitting it is safer for riders by making collisions from the rear of motorcycles less likely to happen if they are allowed to go to the front on stopped traffic at red lights.

Most overused phrase in the news today. Studies show that you want them to show. I don't care if it is deemed safe or not if i want to do it I will and I may also choose not. Studies have shown that every one is going to die from something. :D

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »

It would be nice if it was adopted in all states. That won't happen in my lifetime, but it would be nice.

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 12:59:28 AM »

This is going on in BC - Canada right now as well, trying to get it passed.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:05:55 AM by screaminCVO »

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »

I read a few LA Times accounts where it appeared drivers intentionally opened doors or cut off the zone when a bike or bikes was coming up the lane just to be mean. I viewed many riders lane-splitting and generally the space was nowhere near as large as the photograph in Greg's initial post indicates. I can see why they allow it though, traffic there is horrific and we'd probably all do it if riding there on a daily basis. It appeared most drivers were polite about this and allowed as much room as they could if they viewed a scoot coming up.

I agree totally...In Germany years ago I seen a bike do this in stalled traffic when the 4 wheeler decided to open his door to stretch his legs...not pretty
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.