Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damaged paint question  (Read 3501 times)

rjmorris

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary
Damaged paint question
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »

My FLHTCUSE8 in typhoon maroon received paint damage due to rocks on the front fender, bat wing faring, and one saddlebag lid. I was hoping insurance would simply replace the parts, minus my deductible, and we'd be done with it. But, not to be. They want to send the parts off to CPV (Custom Painted Vehicles) for repainting. I am worried about the match and the durability. The CPV website shows everything to be perfect and that they can do anything.

Anyone have any dealings, good or bad, with CPV? I'm trying to gather information before I call the insurance company and become "that guy".

Thanks for your input.

Rusty

Xtreme Dimension

• Xtreme Dimension
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Custom Motorcycles
Re: Damaged paint question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »

My FLHTCUSE8 in typhoon maroon received paint damage due to rocks on the front fender, bat wing faring, and one saddlebag lid. I was hoping insurance would simply replace the parts, minus my deductible, and we'd be done with it. But, not to be. They want to send the parts off to CPV (Custom Painted Vehicles) for repainting. I am worried about the match and the durability. The CPV website shows everything to be perfect and that they can do anything.

Anyone have any dealings, good or bad, with CPV? I'm trying to gather information before I call the insurance company and become "that guy".

Thanks for your input.

Rusty
Hi Rusty-
This is part of what we also do here at Xtreme Dimension... but I must say-
It is important you do what you are most comfortable with and if you decide you would like us to take care of it, I will be glad to-
Good luck either way -
Joe Z

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »

Hey Rusty, If I were you I would call your insurance company and Become THAT GUY. I can't say anything good or negative about CPV because i have never dealt with them. I can however say that Joe Z at Xtreme Dimension does absolutely stunning work and his cutomer service is second to none. He painted my Swinebox Tourpack and it matches so well no one wants to believe that it was not painted by Harley themselves.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »

If the insurance company will not replace the painted parts you should be able to pick the painter of your choice to repair them.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »

I would always be leery of an insurance company that steers it's customers to one particular repair shop.  Does this insurance company provide a lifetime guarantee if you use their repair shop, like some claim to do with auto repairs?  Or does this insurance company just have a sweetheart deal with that one company so they get a low price and then leave you stuck to handle any quality issues yourself with that repair shop?  Just a couple things you might want to know.

If it were me I'd get my own estimates.  First, the cost to replace all the damaged parts from one of the discount dealers.  Then the cost to repair from places that are highly recommended by other CVO owners who have actually had paint work performed on their CVO's.  And finally, the cost (and warranty) from that place the insurance company wants to use.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 10:02:37 PM »

Not that it will help you in this case but just wondering what insurance company you are dealing with.  Might help others in determining which insurance company to choose.  I had some cosmetic damage to a bike several years ago and my insurance company, Foremost, took what the dealer estimated for new parts and installation labor with no questions.  Sometimes you don't really know what you have in the way of insurance until you have a claim.  Good to know beforehand if possible imo.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

rjmorris

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:32:49 AM »

Thanks for all of the sage advice so far. This is a great forum. My current insurance is with Dairyland. Kind of depends on them if I keep two CVO's insured through them. I will talk today with CPV to see what their warranty is as well as how they actually do the repairs.

Joe Z at Xtreme Dimension, I will contact you as well. I would feel much more comfortable using someone that has such a good reputation among his peers. Your work that I have seen online is stunning!

I'm still not ruling out trying to get new parts, the difference is not that great between repairs and new.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:49:13 AM »

MSRP for new parts:

57000076DQK     FRNG/FLHT, TYPHN MAR/BLK DIAMOND    MSRP  $793
58900004DQK     F/FENDER, TYPHN MAR/BLK DIAMOND      MSRP  $1015
90200399CRP     COVER ASY,RH/S'BAG,BLACK DIAMOND     MSRP  $449

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rjmorris

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »

Thanks Jerry. I have the prices for the new parts. That is what the repair shop's estimate is based on. Insurance company thinks it is too much. To repair the damaged parts is about $700 less.

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »

They are great.  My wife's Street Glide had damage to the fairing and fender.  You can't see where the repairs were done.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »

They are great.  My wife's Street Glide had damage to the fairing and fender.  You can't see where the repairs were done.

Which "they" are you talking about, the shop his insurance company wants to force him to use (CPV), or Xtreme Dimension?

Jerry

rjmorris

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »

Wow! Insurance companies are funny. Received a call today that they (my insurance co.) are sending me a check for the total amount of the original estimate (less the deductible). Not sure what prompted them to do this. Maybe the appraiser called and told them I wasn't going to accept repaired parts, I don't know. I just know that I haven't talked with anyone else other than the local appraiser (who is a Harley rider) about this. I was waiting on paperwork from the insurance company before I started squeaking. Good way to end the week! Thanks for all of the input and suggestions.   :bananarock: :bananarock:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »

Glad it all worked out to your satisfaction. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

1BdBagr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »

BTW, you can save some money by using Surdyke.com.....install the parts yourself. Save a ton of money that way.
Tim
someday i'll have a CVO...

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.