Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: polished stainless bolts  (Read 5370 times)

ultrafan

• Junior CVO Member
polished stainless bolts
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »

who makes the best sets of polished stainless bolts?

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: polished stainless bolts
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:45:53 PM »

Wut the hell was that maneuver

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:49:57 PM »

Kewel!!!

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 03:26:55 AM »

2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

ptnlinda

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 07:05:52 AM »

Another Company I have had dealings with is Diamond Engineering. Service was good last time I used them.

http://depss.com/
2015 FLHTKSE
Fuel Moto Jackpot Headers
2" Muffler Cores
Thunder Max ECM
Detachable's Kit
Stainless Fasteners throughout.

kr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 07:37:49 AM »

Used AlloyBoltz on my last two bikes.  Their Show Polished bolts are beautiful and service is excellent.  Beyond their kits, specify any other bolt and they will make it for you. For example, I replaced the rear footpeg bolts, which needed the heads turned down to fit in the recess. They always know the correct specs. I worked with Michelle.
(813) 645-3185

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 01:19:27 PM »

Ultrafan,  I have been using a product called Hot Toppers since 1995. When I purchased my 09 I bought a "set" that covered pretty much every bolt head that mattered. They slip on and can be reused. They are made of plastic and last forever. Bonus is you don't have to pull any bolts and you can do the entire bike in about 30 minutes. (the "set " for my bike was around $120.00) My friends who have switched out their bolts usually end up with a rust mark in the middle of the bolt head caused by the hex wrench during installation, then they end up putting the small chrome buttons in the hex head to cover up the rust. The hot toppers I put on my 95 Heritage still looked good as new when I sold the bike to my cousin last year.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »

I put the shiny nutz on mine which are a version of the hot toppers. They were cheaper than the hot toppers but I noticed last week that they are starting to discolor and crack and peel. Especially the ones on the cam cover and the lifter cover bolts. I have purchased a show polished engine kit from alloyboltz while I have been offshore at work. However, I am attending the Lone Star Rally as soon as my hitch offshore is over and I will be checking out a product called badass bullets. They are chrome plated screw covers made from real bullet casings. If I wind up having the bullet covers installed I will have a show polished alloyboltz kit for sale.

Copyless

• GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCU (close to a CVO)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:58:47 PM »

Ultrafan,  I have been using a product called Hot Toppers since 1995. When I purchased my 09 I bought a "set" that covered pretty much every bolt head that mattered. They slip on and can be reused. They are made of plastic and last forever. Bonus is you don't have to pull any bolts and you can do the entire bike in about 30 minutes. (the "set " for my bike was around $120.00) My friends who have switched out their bolts usually end up with a rust mark in the middle of the bolt head caused by the hex wrench during installation, then they end up putting the small chrome buttons in the hex head to cover up the rust. The hot toppers I put on my 95 Heritage still looked good as new when I sold the bike to my cousin last year.CAHDBIKER

Bob shut down after 19 years of business, due to the Moco's demand that dealers could only use the China made bolt covers, at least that is the e-mail I received from him last year stated, 5 or 6 weeks before closing the doors, to allow any last minute purchases. I, too, was a long time buyer and user of the product, recently when I purchased the '15, I thought maybe I could find some still around, well I searched and finally did find some, and although they were higher in price than when Bob sold them ( and 5-6 times higher than the China versions), I bought them, well, because I know the quality of the Hot Toppers.  Just thought I would put out this info, just in case someone or even you  might want to purchase the toppers, you will not find the Hot Toppers any longer, and will not get any where near the quality of them.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 12:39:47 AM »

From a couple years ago:

I had a complete chromed stainless builders kit from Gardener - Wescott on my 2004 RG and now on my SERG.  I have never experienced any chipping or peeling and would not hesitate to put a set on my next bike.  The cadmium bolts HD uses are OK but nowhere near the same quality.   BTW, they are also toxic and being discontinued in many industries.   Most Harley dealers carry the Gardener - Wescott kits.  You can also get them online. 

I am not fond of the Hot Toppers.  While they may be easier to install the first time, you must reinstall them each time you work on the bike.  Just my opinion but I don't like to use a cover when I can use the real thing.  To each his own. 

GK
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:41:34 AM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

donvito

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 10:13:27 PM »

Another rave review for Alloy boltz, Michelle is awesome. I changed every visible bolt on my 07 RG to a grade 8 polished SS 12pt caps crews. Bike looks awesome, some were even marked ARP on some of them.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 08:56:54 PM »

Copyless, its too bad to hear that Hot Toppers closed down. On one of occasion I needed just 2 or 3 pieces( had some work done at an Indy shop and they didn't misplaced a few) and the man I spoke to on the phone, maybe it was Bob, agreed to throw a couple my way since I was such a fan of his product. I sent him a self addressed stamped envelope and they showed up as promised. It sucks that  HD has the power to control what you purchase. Maybe there are a few sets on EBAY for those that need them. Thanks for the info.CAHDBIKER

Bob shut down after 19 years of business, due to the Moco's demand that dealers could only use the China made bolt covers, at least that is the e-mail I received from him last year stated, 5 or 6 weeks before closing the doors, to allow any last minute purchases. I, too, was a long time buyer and user of the product, recently when I purchased the '15, I thought maybe I could find some still around, well I searched and finally did find some, and although they were higher in price than when Bob sold them ( and 5-6 times higher than the China versions), I bought them, well, because I know the quality of the Hot Toppers.  Just thought I would put out this info, just in case someone or even you  might want to purchase the toppers, you will not find the Hot Toppers any longer, and will not get any where near the quality of them.

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 07:35:44 AM »

when using SS bolts what does everyone use on the threads?

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 10:17:34 AM »

Antiseize compound
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »

when using SS bolts what does everyone use on the threads?

TN

They've got several different variants but I use the Permatex Nickel when working with stainless.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.