Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Love Jugs cooling fans  (Read 25615 times)

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Love Jugs cooling fans
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 02:13:06 AM »

So are all of these air fans basically PC fans adapted to various housings? Curious if there are any built for high temp usage. These could be 120mm or 92 mm fans and the other brand probably 80mm fans.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 02:29:07 AM »

According to the sites, the Love Jugs fans are from ATVs, so should be waterproof and fairly rugged.  The Big Sky fans are not computer fans, either.

Rode in 110 degree weather today.  Oil temp 260+ after exiting off freeway. :'(  I shouldn't complain; when my bike was stock and new last September, the oil temp hit 290-300 a few times.  I better get tough, we have three or four more months of this. :'(

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 05:18:11 AM »

Dang, that's pretty hot for sure. Glad I don't ride over here, it's been 120+ the last couple of weeks.

The reason I'm asking is from looking at the ebay photos of the back side of the system Love Jug's is selling. There are some hi output 120mm pancake fans that would meet the air flow for a system like this so it would just be a vibration concern. Not really pulling in hotter air than ambient. Not trying to bash this product or the other one I posted on but trying to determine how these things are made and what this IP55 thing is. An ATV radiator fan would be much larger than the ones these are using and it looks like the other system is using 60mm x 60mm fans. I guess the big thing would be where you live and how much traffic or parade riding a person does. Either one would probably do a good job.

IP (Ingress Protection) codes define how well an enclosure protects against the external environment.

As the number gets higher, the protection gets better.

The first digit defines the protection level against "solids", the second against "liquids". You MUST use both digits to define an enclosure.

For the first digit:
0 = No protection
1 = Protected against objects greater than 50 mm diameter
2 = Protected against objects greater than 12 mm diameter
3 = Protected against objects greater than 2.5 mm diameter
4 = Protected against objects greater than 1.0 mm diameter
5 = Dust protected
6 = Dust tight

For the second digit:
0 = Not protected
1 = Protected against dripping water (i.e. vertical plane)
2 = Protected against dripping water up to 15 degree angle
3 = Protected against spraying water
4 = Protected against splashing water
5 = Protected against water jets
6 = Protected against heavy seas
7 = Protected against effects of immersion
8 = Protected against submersion
2007 Softail Custom

CVOJIMMYC

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: MY BSR "shes a sweet ride too"
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 07:19:09 PM »

i'm gonna check em out, looks nice and functional too  :2vrolijk_21:
My favorite color is chrome

Sarge571

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 11:24:58 AM »

:worthless:

We purchased one of the LOVE JUGS Harley Cooling Fan in Florida for the ride home from Daytona and that was a big mistake.  These guys did absolutely no road testing on their fan.  Within 500 miles the center rubber mounting bushing tore loose and the fan fell off, almost causing an accident on interstate 95.  The Harley dealer replaced the mount with a heavier one, but almost immediately the fan began to shake apart due to excessive vibration.  We were assured that the fan was tested for thousands of miles, but ours did not last more than 600.   In my opinion the fan needs some significant re-engineering in order to be road worthy.

Sarge571

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 11:27:23 AM »

We purchased one of the LOVE JUGS Harley Cooling Fan in Florida for the ride home from Daytona and that was a big mistake.  These guys did absolutely no road testing on their fan.  Within 500 miles the center rubber mounting bushing tore loose and the fan fell off, almost causing an accident on interstate 95.  The Harley dealer replaced the mount with a heavier one, but almost immediately the fan began to shake apart due to excessive vibration.  We were assured that the fan was tested for thousands of miles, but ours did not last more than 600.   In my opinion the fan needs some significant re-engineering in order to be road worthy.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 12:22:40 PM »

X2 even!

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »

That's why I went with Jason's fans. Machined and welded parts instead of just finding computer fans and spot welding the metal together. Doesn't hurt that Jason is on active duty trying to make a business for his future and offers military discounts.  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Softail Custom

Sarge571

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »

Hope that yours lasted longer than ours did.  The mount broke on the way back from Daytona.  So we had a heavier mount installed only to have the fans vibrate to pieces.  If you want pictures, we should have taken pictures of my wife throwing the fans over the guardrail on interstate 95 after they fell off the bike. 

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 03:33:44 PM »

Good point. Reckon I better see how long these fans will last in Jason's mounts. He says send them back if the fans fail and he'll replace them. They better last longer than 600 miles though or he's gonna have some very unhappy people to deal with.
2007 Softail Custom

Sarge571

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »

What is this world coming to when you speak your mind about a product that did not work and receive very nasty e-mails from the people that manufacture the product.  I also do not appreciate being marketed by the other twin fan manufacture trying to capitalize on business.  If a product is good it will sell itself through word of mouth and by Harley offering to sell it through their dealerships.  It is also a dissapointment to find that some of the same manufactures are self promoting themselves through fake forum members.  Why can't people build a good product and have it stand on it's own merits instead of mudslinging.  If you make a good product it will make the test of time and people will buy it.....

Retired Disabled Vet
John 

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »

been there and done that with two recent large purchases.

The email you should have received, "we are sorry for your inconvenience, what can we do to help make this right?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 01:33:49 AM »

I did a through test with the Big Sky Fans a couple years ago and was extremely disappointed. First off, for the money charged, $105 bucks, I was in total shock when I recieved the parts. You get two fans, connector and wire. After I purchased  I found the exact fan on Google for $14 bucks, so if you are intent, search fans on Google.  Secondly, before and after I installed the fans I recorded several riding episodes with and without the fans running, all test were recorded during a 98 degree summer weekend. To make a long story short, I recordered hotter temps with fans installed regardless if fans were running or not. I also noted a drive through down town Napa, during a busy weekend with fans runnning, my engine temps quickly reached 305 degrees with apsoutely no cooling effect from the fans. As usual, I pulled off at a water hole and enjoyed my fav beverage.  The BigSky fans are a total waste of money, and I wouldn't put much more trust in the Jag Fan arrangement recently on the market.   TRUST ME.... DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE SNAKE OIL REMIDIES,,  THEY SIMPLY DON'T WORK.  If they did the MoCo would have them on every model..   Now for the Big Sky dealer guy,, if you feel like buying him an expensive drink,,  buy his fans,,  he'll be smiling at the bar waiten for another free drink.  :o bye the way
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:43:31 AM by cvobiker »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 01:43:22 AM »

Thanks to those of you for "exposing" an inferior product before any more of us here waste our money on it! I was just about to purchase when I read this thread...
Alan

hbens

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Candy Cobalt/Starlight Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 SESG Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »

I've used a Lenale cooling fan on both of my bikes. I took the one off before I sold the bike and I am using it on my 2012 SESG. On my first bike I was in Missouri in a traffic jam and my friends bike was overheating and pitching a serious fit. Mine was not thanks to the fan.
I have a Power Vision tuner which I have set up to monitor ET (Engine temperature I believe and not exhaust temperature).
When I'm cruising in traffic and the ET starts to climb with no end of traffic snarl in sight I turn the fan on. This fan keeps the ET down and has lowered the temp. Sure it blows some heat out the right side of the engine but when I'm sitting in traffic my leg is mostly out of the way of the possible heated wind created by the fan.
I'll deal with the heat of the blowing air to keep my engine cool. I'd rate my happiness with this product an 8 out of 10. I will buy one again if this one ever craps out. The down side of the product is having to relocate the horn which is small potatoes if you use the Lenale relocation kit. On my other bike I used a hidden horn which isn't available for the 2012 CVO SG so I ordered the horn relocation kit for $30.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity!

Dragula 2 into 1, S&S 640 EZ start cams pistons (10.8 compression) flywheel and Timken bearing, Vee Twin Racing Stage IV ported heads, K&N air cleaner, Power Vision with WBO2 auto tuner, king tour pak, solo & two up mounts, pass. floor boards, Headwinds spot/turn signal lights, zumo 660 GPS, ssaddlebag guard & pouches, Progress Suspension cartridg
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.