Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2013 Road King lowering  (Read 5361 times)

tonykaos

2013 Road King lowering
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:41:48 PM »

I would like to lower my bike to flat foot, i have 29 inseam. i purchased the Progressive cartridges lowering up front but the dealer will not install them stating my bike is level. They just suggested the Brucus shocks but then said the ride would suck, okay, why .... I would like to switch to progressive 944 in back but not sure if it actually would lower the back, then they would put the Progressives on up front. Is the current shock eye to eye 13" or 12" any input oaths mod would really be helpful.
Also, looking to switch the battery to Yusa GYZ, good choice ?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2013 Road King lowering
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 08:36:51 AM »

Tony, didn't we see a thread from you not long ago about the same thing?  If you want the front end lowered with that Progressive kit and the dealership won't do it, I'd suggest you find an independent shop to do it for you.  As for the rear end, it is already lowered from the factory with 12" shocks.  The regular 944 will not lower the bike any further.  Any further lowering of the rear is unwise, and will seriously compromise ride quality/comfort as well as ground and cornering clearance. 

As I recommended before, get the seat modified or buy a new one that will lower you, as opposed to lowering the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mandrew13

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »

The 944 low will drop you a tiny bit more. It was just enough of a drop, in conjunction with a seat change, to get my feet on the ground. I have not had any problems with the lowered stance on corners, but that shock is a bit rough at times.
Have you looked at adding an air ride (dirty air, jnr, legend, etc)?  Those options would let you lower your stance in lots and still give you a quality ride height on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 02:55:25 PM »

Changing geometry of the bike i feel should be done as a last resort.  Have you considered a custom seat with a narrow nose.  Could drop you several inches without reducing ground clearance, a number that is not much to begin with on the HD line.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

tonykaos

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 02:59:22 PM »

Looked at quite a few seats and went to an upholstery shop not much there , I agree I don't want to change geometry bike handles well , and yes I have thick soles on my boots , I am going back to dealership on Thursday talk with "expert " try again to get front lowered just a bit then go from there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 05:52:36 PM »

A Corbin "close" seat did it for me. Moved me a little forward and narrowed the area where my thighs rest and I went from tippy toes to flat footed. After rolling the bars a couple of inches forward I am much more comfortable and still retain the stock clearance.
T-MAN 117 kit

tonykaos

2013 Road King lowering
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »

The bummer here in Hawaii is limited vendors, expensive shipping and labor, basically one dealership, that's why I rely on blogs like this , I would love to ride to Sturgis  and see the vendors or go to Arizona and get the exhaust installed properly , get a Corbin seat fitted and designed the way I want , many thanks for all the advice I really appreciate your help.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 01:40:21 PM »

The bummer here in Hawaii is limited vendors, expensive shipping and labor, basically one dealership, that's why I rely on blogs like this , I would love to ride to Sturgis  and see the vendors or go to Arizona and get the exhaust installed properly , get a Corbin seat fitted and designed the way I want , many thanks for all the advice I really appreciate your help.

I will gladly trade you cheap shipping and tons of vendors for your weather and scenery! ;D
T-MAN 117 kit

tonykaos

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 03:12:22 AM »

I do enjoy the splendor of the islands !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tonykaos

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 12:27:06 PM »

Ok  dealership measured bike on lift due to 18 wheel in back, bike was level, decided to go with 944 ultra lo and drop front to keep it even also change kick stand  to ensure safe lean angle while parked. Eventually will look for Corbin seat as well.  :drummer: Offered 944 for 580 plus install seems fair. ride may be a bit stiffer we will see and i will post the results . Thanks guys for all the feedback, I really appreciate your knowledge. :cherry:
Hmm, next maybe exhaust and dyno, !!!!

Mandrew13

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 03:23:06 PM »

Ok  dealership measured bike on lift due to 18 wheel in back, bike was level, decided to go with 944 ultra lo and drop front to keep it even also change kick stand  to ensure safe lean angle while parked. Eventually will look for Corbin seat as well.  :drummer: Offered 944 for 580 plus install seems fair. ride may be a bit stiffer we will see and i will post the results . Thanks guys for all the feedback, I really appreciate your knowledge. :cherry:
Hmm, next maybe exhaust and dyno, !!!!

$580 is a good price.
good luck.

tonykaos

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 03:53:40 AM »

OK finally back from the shop, yep. August was last post, waiting for one month to finally ride again. Bike at dealership waiting on parts: New battery, front cartridges and rear 944 ultra low,and a new low kick stand. Ride out the door lovely ride home in pouring rain, nice and FLAT FOOTED !!!!! Kick stand down to lift storage door turn and watch bike falling over the right side !!!!!! Flat drive way catch it as it falls pick it up roll it in storage and look at the angle, it just doesn't look right, way too upright. Can I bend the Yaffe  stand or what? I need,  I just don't want to wait another month to ride.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 07:24:24 AM »

Bend the kickstand....

Ping me makes a minus 1" and minus 2" kickstand. I'm running the -2 and could have gotten away with the -1.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 07:37:51 AM »

I've done the shock thing, front Monotubes, rear Progressives 944 and 440's, a new seat ,  then shaved the seat, and  jacked up my boots.....finally installed Legend Air Ride with a psi gage and now my problem is solved.
Letz Ride

tonykaos

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 01:10:36 PM »

yaffe kick stand on bike currently , sits near vertical , I keep the handlebars turned hard left , I had stock kickstand cut and shortened to increase lean angle , waiting for it to be re chromed and reinstalled. Bike handles 100% better, especially in the twisties, a little stiff out back but tracks true.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 22 queries.