Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Riding the Ozarks Twisties down to Mountain View, Arkansas  (Read 12914 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: Riding the Ozarks Twisties down to Mountain View, Arkansas
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »

Thank you for that information and the link to the ferry. We will probably try to hit it when the colors get started. Its about a 4 hour ride to there for us that we can never seem to do in less than 8 hours....lol.
Mt Magazine is a very nice area, and if you have the extra time from there, go to Mena Ar and pick up the Talimina Dr over to Talimina Ok
Most great stores start with a bad decision

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2015, 10:25:03 PM »

Thank you for that information and the link to the ferry. We will probably try to hit it when the colors get started. Its about a 4 hour ride to there for us that we can never seem to do in less than 8 hours....lol.
Mt Magazine is a very nice area, and if you have the extra time from there, go to Mena Ar and pick up the Talimina Dr over to Talimina Ok

The Talimina Trail is an awesome ride, that's for sure.  We spent the night out around Talihena years ago while traveling on the bikes.  We had no idea that easter Oklahoma was so green and hilly and just plain beautiful.  Went to Heavener on another trip and saw the Runestone up there.  Strange thing that.  Have also been all up and down Hwy 259 thru Broken Bow and that area as well.  259 just south of Big Cedar was a surprise for us.  Very hilly and a great view from the top of that big overlook.
One of these days, gonna make it back to the Talimena.  And if you're ever in Mena for lunch, eat at the Skyline Cafe downtown on 88.  I think that's the place we ate at as I recall.  One of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had anywhere.  Also if your doing a round trip, Hwy 270 that runs parallel to the Talimena Trail is a nice road, plus there's a crazy little (very rustic) bar right on the state line on 270 before you cross back into OK.  I mean it's rustic, but they have cold beer and it ain't too expensive as I recall! 
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 11:55:29 PM »

Really nice. Thanks for posting.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 07:55:42 PM »

Thanks Guys .Tell me all the good roads as we will be there for a week riding almost all day everyday. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 08:11:55 PM »

Thanks Guys .Tell me all the good roads as we will be there for a week riding almost all day everyday. Billy

Shoot me a PM and I'll shoot some intel at you!
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 01:51:03 PM »

I believe I know the place you are talking about there in Mena and it is a great place for a burger. There are a lot of roads in the SE part of Oklahoma that you are talking about that are very scenic. We have done a lot of the unnamed county roads there and I  guess I will never understand how a new blacktop road can go for miles back into the hills only to just stop......lol.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 01:52:27 PM »

Are you seeing any color change up in your area yet?

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 02:48:39 PM »

Only with a couple of species that are known for an early change.  The real change won't happen in this area until late October or early November.
Last year we took the Jeep up to the Glade Top Trail in southern Missouri in the Mark Twain Natn'l Forest.  That was around Nov 10th and we had just missed the peak up there by days.  That's an unusually late peak for south Missouri. 
I'm hoping for cool/cold nights and sunny days with just a little more rainfall over the next week or two.  That may give us some nice color here for starters in about 2-3 weeks.
Harry

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2015, 09:04:57 PM »

With all the rain this spring and a the summer we had, I am hoping for a beautiful fall once the temperature starts dropping. If you think about it drop me a message when you see a good change in the leaves. Would sure like to make a 3 day weekend loop through there

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 09:36:18 PM »

With all the rain this spring and a the summer we had, I am hoping for a beautiful fall once the temperature starts dropping. If you think about it drop me a message when you see a good change in the leaves. Would sure like to make a 3 day weekend loop through there

I'll try to remember to do just that!  In the meantime, check out this website.  These are two brothers that have been reporting on the fall color change in the Ozarks for many years and in my opinion are experts on the subject.  They will have the timing down pat on when the change will occur, even by region.  It's the best real-time info I've found on the web about this part of the country.  And the website is huge and is a great asset to travelers thru this area.  Enjoy!

http://www.ozarkmtns.com/foliage/index.asp
Harry

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 10:03:51 PM »

Thank you! That page just got saved
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 25 queries.