Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using the ride planner - yikes  (Read 2207 times)

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Using the ride planner - yikes
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:31:44 PM »

So I'm trying to plan a ride from Bryce Canyon to Cedar City, UT... the ride planner wants to take me the 80 mile direct route which would be fine if I was trying to find the fastest route. Since I'm obviously not trying to do that and want to take a nice 400 mile scenic route I have to add waypoints, that's fine... but when I export the ride then re-load it I get the fastest route again and the waypoints are all gone I can convert them to destinations, but then it divides my ride up into 50 mile segments, I just want the GPS to direct me to ride the course the I decided and I don't want to have to load a new ride every hour.

Help?

This is what I want to save...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:38:55 PM by ACfixer »
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

mark

Re: Using the ride planner - yikes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »

What device are you saving the ride planner route to...your Infotainment GPS?  I have a HD Garmin and the ride planner routes transfer fine to that.  However, I recently rented a 2015 with the Infotainment GPS and some routes transferred fine, but others did similar to what you're experiencing.  BTW, on that trip, we rented several bikes and I used the same flash drive to load the routes in each bike...some worked correctly and some didn't.  When I say this, what I mean is I'd load a route for the day in three bikes...the route may work correctly on one bike, but not the others.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:38:34 AM by Mark »

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »

What do you have turned on for avoidances and preferences set in your GPS?? I turn off all avoidances except gravel roads, and set for scenic rather than shortest or fastest. Yes, I think it's the stupidest thing in the world, but GPS units for some reason wont take a route verbatim, they insist on recalculating it based on the preferences set in the unit.

2015 CVO Road Glide

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 10:49:05 AM »

Sorry you're having problems.  I know it is frustrating working with these GPS units.  I don't have a Rushmore bike but I know several folks who have successfully used Garmin's Base Camp to plan their routes and then upload them to the internal gps on their Rushmore bikes.  Might try that.  It's a free program and saves files in the 'gpx' format.

The advice to check your preferences and avoidances is spot on.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Tibs

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

• CVO1: '15 Limited
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 11:24:59 AM »

The trick is to toggle the route preference to prefer highway on and off in the planner while putting in your waypoints so that it doesn't make sense to avoid the scenic route and you can find where it will do it.    My 200-300 loops around here have 16-17 waypoints in there.    I never save as destinations.

Most of my loops are right next to interstates.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »

Sounds like you are trying to force electronics to go where they do not want to go. Technology does not like to be forced. No matter how much I yell at this computer it does not do what i tell it to.

My advice is to write out the route and commit as much to memory as possible or at least the first two turns and then view the onscreen to follow what you know. Old time skills of map reading and following road signs should not be done away with to listen to a computer voice and follow without thinking.

Lucky Doug

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »

I guess I am still old school with primitive tools. Smart phone and a bluetooth communicator in my helmet.

Set up my ride on Google Maps and email it to myself. Pull up the email, click on the link, and away I go.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:04:14 PM »

Lance,
You've chosen a fantastic route, my friend!  Just make sure you drive thru the long tunnel southeast of Zion.  It's really awesome.
As to your GPS question, I've had the same problems as you've had.  Some of it I think may be traced to the settings you have (by default or by choice) on the GPS in your Boom!Box.  But there may be settings on the web page you haven't found or explored yet either.
When I tried it with several routes, I gave up.  I did get it imported into my Boom!Box just fine, but that's when the problems began, and even though I'd seen the route I wanted on-line, that's not the route that my GPS chose for me.  I'm thinking it may have been my internal setup doing that to me.  I finally turned it off. 
But...I'll keep trying.  This new GPS is a real turd nugget compared to the older Garmin's I've worked with, and I've had several.  Go back and read your bike's manual for the GPS.  Study the map maker a little more on line and read/watch the tutorials more closely.
Then when you have it all figured out, let the rest of us with less patience know how the darn thing works!    :D :D
Just kidding, Lance, and I know you know that.  I'll be spending a little more time with it this weekend on-line and with the bike.  I want to plug in a route to Memphis for us, so I want to learn what I can about it.  Maybe I'll have words of wisdom to offer soon.  (But what would be the odds of that?   :D  )
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 02:05:15 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.