Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: race tuner and warranty  (Read 7362 times)

markp1965

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

race tuner and warranty
« on: October 07, 2015, 12:39:29 AM »

So I previously had a 2010 cvo streetglide I bought it used in 2011 added cfr pipes and a race tuner and I loved  the way it ran and never had a problem with it in all the 4 years I owned it ,  I just traded it in on a 2016 cvo streetglide and inquired about adding the cfrs and a race tuner and was told that if anything happens to the drivetrain that my warranty would be void , I guess this is normal,  first time buying a brand new bike , should I be worried ?? I'm sure 80 % of new owners add this kind of stuff right ?

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Re: race tuner and warranty
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:55:11 AM »

Congrats on the SG, I love the paint schemes on the '16s.

My dealer gave me the handshake warranty assurance program, hopefully I won't have to test the waters but basically what he said is that if the ECU fries, for instance, it's on me... otherwise they'd cover anything I didn't touch or directly cause. Obviously this is "off the record" and it's going to vary depending on your dealer and your relationship you have with them.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:57:10 AM by ACfixer »
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:50:19 AM »

So I previously had a 2010 cvo streetglide I bought it used in 2011 added cfr pipes and a race tuner and I loved  the way it ran and never had a problem with it in all the 4 years I owned it ,  I just traded it in on a 2016 cvo streetglide and inquired about adding the cfrs and a race tuner and was told that if anything happens to the drivetrain that my warranty would be void , I guess this is normal,  first time buying a brand new bike , should I be worried ?? I'm sure 80 % of new owners add this kind of stuff right ?

I had a SERT, Freedom Performance slip ons, and decatted head pipes on my 2012 SESG and the motor went. It was all replaced under warranty with no questions asked. Where in BC are you and which dealer do you frequent ?
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »

This is just one more of the many questions that cannot be answered with a definite yes or no.  Especially with Harley, everything "depends".  If you go strictly by the book, then any modification to the engine management system will void the powertrain warranty, as well as be illegal emission system tampering.  Funny how Harley gets away with selling those SEPST's and other non-street legal products to consumers to defeat the emissions systems. 

In reality, it all depends on what kind of failure you have, whether your dealership service department is run by a by-the-book person, and whether or not H-D itself insists on inspecting the bike prior to approving any warranty repairs.  And with a SEPST, they don't have to even visit the dealership to inspect the bike.  All they have to do is have the dealership connect the ECM to the computer and H-D can determine if an SEPST has ever been used on the bike.

You're correct in saying that probably the majority of Harley's on the road have some sort of tuning system or device as well as non-standard exhaust systems, and many have had failures and the warranty was honored.  But that doesn't mean everyone has that same experience.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

markp1965

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »

Im in Victoria and deal with Barnes Harley Davidson , I never really worried about it with my old bike but I just dropped $45,000 on this new one and now it becomes a little scarier but I dont think I will ever be happy riding it in stock form

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 11:27:56 AM »

Im in Victoria and deal with Barnes Harley Davidson , I never really worried about it with my old bike but I just dropped $45,000 on this new one and now it becomes a little scarier but I dont think I will ever be happy riding it in stock form

I just bought my new CVO Limited from Barnes in Langley. They're good to deal with. I put on Vance & Hines Monster Oval slip ons and the FP3 tuner. Let's see what happens.
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 12:44:16 PM »

I just bought my new CVO Limited from Barnes in Langley. They're good to deal with. I put on Vance & Hines Monster Oval slip ons and the FP3 tuner. Let's see what happens.
Barnes informed us that ONLY the SE pipes would NOT void the warranty on my Wife's new Switchback!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »

Takes like 30 seconds to reflash stock map. Why play with fire, just put it back before a warranty item. My dealer doesn't care but I still change it if I have a warranty/recall or whatever.
If a dealer tries to void your warranty or even mentions it, based on a  set of slip-ons, you should go somewhere else to begin with.

markp1965

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 02:09:43 PM »

thanks I love the new bike I got the white amethyst with black licorice flames absolutely stunning in person , performance wise though you can tell the bike is stifled compared to my 2010 with the pipes and race tuner  , my dealer didn't care about the pipes I was putting on but the race tuner was the issue , perhaps I should purchase an FP3 and then I can set it myself and from what I've read change it back to stock if I need to Thoughts ??

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »

thanks I love the new bike I got the white amethyst with black licorice flames absolutely stunning in person , performance wise though you can tell the bike is stifled compared to my 2010 with the pipes and race tuner  , my dealer didn't care about the pipes I was putting on but the race tuner was the issue , perhaps I should purchase an FP3 and then I can set it myself and from what I've read change it back to stock if I need to Thoughts ??

TTS or Power Vision offer the ability to save your stock calibration which you can reinstall before you take the bike in for warranty work.  IMHO either of those would be a much better choice than the Harley SEPST.

As for setting up the bike yourself with a Fuel Pak, it's your choice but in my experience the cheaper "solutions" are cheaper for a reason.  The other choices I mentioned offer canned maps just like V&H does, plus a basic "auto tune" feature, but they also offer many other capabilities the FP does not.  Do some in-depth research on the topic and figure out what's best for you.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 11:53:56 AM »

I have done what some mentioned here.  Every time it went in for engine related work I retuned the bike to stock, changed back the header and mufflers.  Kind of a pain but felt it was worth it for peace of mind.  Although there is likely away they could figure out you had different parameters tuned...
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »

When I bought my '15 back in June, I "called the dealers hand" about what the Harley literature all says.  I pointed out that their own literature says very clearly that the addition of certain parts would void the engine warranty.  The sales manager and my salesman both looked at me like I was crazy, but they took me more seriously when I told them I would walk away from the deal without proper assurances.  I got both an email and a handshake warranty (good phrase, Lance!) from the guys. 
I was told that with all the EPA regulations out there, the MoCo has to say something "official" in their literature concerning things like this in order to appease the "government gods".  Basically they said that what happens after the sale is between me and the dealer.  They said there was no way they wouldn't support my warranty and asked me what I thought would happen if the word got out that they wouldn't honor the warranty on a part they install regularly on new and used bikes alike and recommend to boot.  I basically got the same story about pulling a trailer.  They told me they couldn't install hitch for me due to the implications that went with it and that unless I was abusing the bike or the tranny in some provable way, and maintaining my service intervals, that they would still honor warranty.
Whether or not that proves true is still TBD.  My intention is to buy an extended warranty before the two year mark, but before I do, I'm going to get them to renew that "handshake warranty" with me.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »

My intention is to buy an extended warranty before the two year mark, but before I do, I'm going to get them to renew that "handshake warranty" with me.

that 'handshake warranty' isn't going to be worth the paper that it's written on.  if something needs to be done via esp, the dealer has to get prior approval from the company before they do any work.  the final approval is up to the esp company, and they may or may not send a rep out to inspect the bike before they are able to start the work.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 03:49:18 PM »

I was just informed that the 'handshake warranty' on my SG isn't valid, as Steve Drane is now Barnes. I guess there is absolutely no reason to buy locally anymore.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »

Just my humble opinion... but the "handshake warranty" is only good at your "local" dealer and don't mean jack if your bike break downs while you travelling (or away from that dealer).... if you are buying/using your bike "locally" only than I guess a "handshake" warranty is a good thing.... then again if the ESP warranty sends a rep to look/evaluate your claim the "handshake" warranty ain't going to mean jack unless that dealer steps up to the plate and fixes it on their dime when the ESP is denied. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 22 queries.