Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tapping at gear capacity  (Read 1009 times)

Sadwings

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

Tapping at gear capacity
« on: October 07, 2015, 10:20:15 AM »

Good morning all,

I took the Road King out yesterday, and noticed a tapping noise at the change to the next gear…so I tested the every gear and after riding into the 6th, going about 70 mph…the tapping continued.  I put the bike on cruise control to feel around during my travel...nothing to be found, which leads me to the thought...its internal.
Its sounds like your old bicycle back in the day, with a playing card in the spokes.

The bike has less than 2000 miles on it.  It still under warranty, just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks

S

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Tapping at gear capacity
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 11:04:25 AM »

Does the noise stay with engine rpms?  Does it slow back down every time you shift up?

Or does it just start out from a stop and get progressively faster the faster you go?

If it's internal in the primary it will vary in frequency with the rpms of the motor.  If it just goes faster as you gain speed, it's probably in the rear of the bike with the final drive somewhere.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Sadwings

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

Re: Tapping at gear capacity
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:29:42 PM »

It starts with the engaging of the throttle...on all gears.  So yes, as the RPM rises, the stronger the tapping.

The tapping seems to up front, from what I'm guessing. 

Thanks for your input Dan.

S

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.