Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Saddle Bags Falling Off  (Read 51393 times)

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Saddle Bags Falling Off
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2013, 02:00:21 AM »

please, lets not start this debate again.  If you have had success with the bags, God bless you and best of luck.  If you have had the unfortunate experience of them coming off while riding, sorry for your pain, I recommend zip ties.  To those that have had a great experience with the locking system, please don't try to explain to me what I did wrong, or how great the system is, or that it is all rider error and in turn I won't try to convince you that all of us that have had this issue know something that you don't. 

The weather is still great outside, the sky is blue, I just finished a 3200 mile ride from Texas to California and back and would rather we focus on the things we can all agree upon rather than opening up this can of worms again and getting me all riled up.

Peace, love, happiness.....

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2013, 06:10:15 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »

please, lets not start this debate again.  If you have had success with the bags, God bless you and best of luck.  If you have had the unfortunate experience of them coming off while riding, sorry for your pain, I recommend zip ties.  To those that have had a great experience with the locking system, please don't try to explain to me what I did wrong, or how great the system is, or that it is all rider error and in turn I won't try to convince you that all of us that have had this issue know something that you don't. 

The weather is still great outside, the sky is blue, I just finished a 3200 mile ride from Texas to California and back and would rather we focus on the things we can all agree upon rather than opening up this can of worms again and getting me all riled up.

Peace, love, happiness.....
:2vrolijk_21:
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

RustyPD

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »

I have a new 2014 ultra classic with 2K miles and today my right saddle bag fell off on the freeway and needless to say its toast.. WTF?? Called the dealership.. "it happens".. I hope they replace it.. this is ridiculous and a poor design by Harley.

Big67GWL

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »

I bought a new 2011 CVO Convertible a little over 2 years ago. I had the right bag fall off immediately after the dealer installed Some Vance & Hines Pipes for me. First ride after that, right bag falls off. Did not even know it until we stopped for gas. iPhone 4 in the bag also as well as a jacket etc. Dealer said "not the first time that has happened" and that's it. They replaced the bag at no charge. I thought the mechanic did not properly put the bag on after the pipe installation. If the service manager had just said "you may want to just put a plastic zip tie on each time after you remove and reinstall the bags so this can't happen in the future" I WOULD HAVE! I have removed the bags and reinstalled them a few times with no problem. However, I removed both and reinstalled both during a routine cleaning. I have been paranoid to a certain extent ever since the first incident, but had not had a repeat since the first bag fell off.  After installing the bags this time I tug back and forth horizontally to make sure it is secure and the latch is good. The latch pops up! I reinstall the bags again making sure all three mount points are correctly installed and latch again making sure that the latch pin is in the correct position and the latch is latched. I perform the back and forth pull and the latch pops open again on one bag and not the other. Then I tell myself "I am not supposed to be pulling back and forth on the bag so it probably will be fine during a ride, I am just paranoid" I go for the ride and BOTH BAGS COME OFF! Now I have to go back to the dealer and get two more new bags free of charge. Anyone want to speculate how that is going to go? If only the dealer would have suggested plastic zip ties or had admitted that this is a widespread problem among this model, I would have done some research and used the ties.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:49:57 PM by Big67GWL »

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »

I have a new 2014 ultra classic with 2K miles and today my right saddle bag fell off on the freeway and needless to say its toast.. WTF?? Called the dealership.. "it happens".. I hope they replace it.. this is ridiculous and a poor design by Harley.

Rusty - YOU have a different bag and different model bike -  :nixweiss:

sorry to hear that you lost a bag  :coolblue:
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #171 on: May 27, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »

y
You can use Brukus saddlebag locks on yours. They work very well and are worth the extra time to take the bags off for peace of mind.
T-MAN 117 kit

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2014, 08:46:54 AM »

If the latch is popping up then the cylinder is not going into the hole. Check and see if maybe it's dirty and needs some wd40 to get it to spring out into the hole easier.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 04:43:00 AM by Mr. Warlock »
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Johnny D

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2014, 09:54:54 AM »

Wish I'd have seen this CVO forum when/before I bought my 2012 CVO soft tail convertible!!!  Now a 2-year old bike with a mere 7500 miles on it, the right side bag decided to fall off the bike on a recent ride… didn't even know it!!  Got to my destination and when I lifted my right leg to get off bike I saw my right side bag was GONE!?!?!  Luckily I was on a solo ride - when my girlfriend rides her bike with me, she insists on riding behind me -- could have been a major disaster!!
HD could give a rip and denies they have a problem (not sure why after how many years of this CVO forum posting they DO HAVE A PROBLEM)…  I know the right-side bag was secure when a I took off on the ride (open and closed the bag getting my jacket out)… of course, HD says it had to my "my fault"!  I had a BMW 1200C for 14 years prior which had similar, single lock removable bags - NEVER had a problem with those.
HD wants $1100 to replace the, now recovered, very messed up saddle bag… police found the bag and turned into the local HD dealership.  Out of principle - that primarily being safety - I'm taking this to the hilt.  I am working with an attorney, the State Transportation & Safety officials, and local police.  This HD bag problem could/will kill someone riding behind a motorcycle with similar saddle bags that DO have this problem.
IF YOU CAN HELP ME WITH YOUR SIMILAR STORY, please let me know.  Thanks!  JD

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2015, 02:22:38 PM »

has more to do with design flaws that caused saddlebags to fall off

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/harley-davidson-suffering-major-recalls-153052038.html

Enjoy!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 24 queries.