Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Change Tips for Fxr2/Fxr3/Fxr4  (Read 9566 times)

elvislee

Oil Change Tips for Fxr2/Fxr3/Fxr4
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:20:52 AM »

I am for the first time getting ready to change the oil on my Fxr4 myself and not having the local wrench do it. Am going to read through the manuals I have but wanted to post this topic in the event any one owning one of these bikes wants to add there .02 cents as to the do's and dont's with any experiences you may have had in this area.

RedFXR2

Re: Oil Change Tips for Fxr2/Fxr3/Fxr4
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:08:38 AM »

Some of this may be obvious but I'd say to warm the engine up before draning the old oil.  Remove the dip stick from the oil tank.  The drain hose for the oil tank is behind the left side cover.  It's a rubber hose that clamps to a keeper until it's needed.  Loosen the clamp and have a catch pan or jug ready--tilt the hose into the pan to drain the oil tank.  Re-attach the hose to the keeper when the tank is empty.

The spin-on filter is at the front of the motor at the front motor mount.  You'll need something to conduct the old oil into a catch pan without it getting all over the frame and motor mount and generally making a mess.  I have a shaped plastic trough from Drag Specialties just for this purpose, but you can use a piece of cardboard (a file folder works well) or a cut to fit liter soft drink bottle.  Anything that fits around the filter up to the base, and extends beyond the left side of the frame to a drip point.  This is all when the bike is leaning on the side stand.

I partially fill the new filter with new oil before installing it.  About 1/2 to 3/4 full.

Another trick is to purge the old oil completely before adding the new.  Draining the tank and filter mount by gravity will allow a small amount to stay in the case, not open to the oil tank or the filter drain points.  After removing the old filter. clamp the oil tank drain hose back into place and fill the oil tank with about 2 1/2 quarts.  With the filter removed, and the catch trough in place to the drain pan, start the motor and let it idle.  The last of the old oil will be pushed out through the filter mount, and into the drain trough and pan.  You'll be able to tell when new oil is coming through and all the old oil is gone.  It will only take a minute or so.  Watch the oil tank of course so it doesn't run dry but it will only take a short period of time and the oil flows slowly, so don't be nervous.  When fresh oil is coming through the filter, shut the motor off, let the draining stop, attach the new filter, top up the oil tank and you're good to go.  Oh, and I always stop about 1/2 quart short of the full mark on the dipstick to prevent blow-by to the air cleaner.

Hope this helps. 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 09:11:50 AM »

Some of this may be obvious but I'd say to warm the engine up before draning the old oil.  Remove the dip stick from the oil tank.  The drain hose for the oil tank is behind the left side cover.  It's a rubber hose that clamps to a keeper until it's needed.  Loosen the clamp and have a catch pan or jug ready--tilt the hose into the pan to drain the oil tank.  Re-attach the hose to the keeper when the tank is empty.

The spin-on filter is at the front of the motor at the front motor mount.  You'll need something to conduct the old oil into a catch pan without it getting all over the frame and motor mount and generally making a mess.  I have a shaped plastic trough from Drag Specialties just for this purpose, but you can use a piece of cardboard (a file folder works well) or a cut to fit liter soft drink bottle.  Anything that fits around the filter up to the base, and extends beyond the left side of the frame to a drip point.  This is all when the bike is leaning on the side stand.

I partially fill the new filter with new oil before installing it.  About 1/2 to 3/4 full.

Another trick is to purge the old oil completely before adding the new.  Draining the tank and filter mount by gravity will allow a small amount to stay in the case, not open to the oil tank or the filter drain points.  After removing the old filter. clamp the oil tank drain hose back into place and fill the oil tank with about 2 1/2 quarts.  With the filter removed, and the catch trough in place to the drain pan, start the motor and let it idle.  The last of the old oil will be pushed out through the filter mount, and into the drain trough and pan.  You'll be able to tell when new oil is coming through and all the old oil is gone.  It will only take a minute or so.  Watch the oil tank of course so it doesn't run dry but it will only take a short period of time and the oil flows slowly, so don't be nervous.  When fresh oil is coming through the filter, shut the motor off, let the draining stop, attach the new filter, top up the oil tank and you're good to go.  Oh, and I always stop about 1/2 quart short of the full mark on the dipstick to prevent blow-by to the air cleaner.

Hope this helps. 

HeHe!!! Oil Changing 101!!! Pretty damn thorough there! Nice job Mike! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:18:24 AM »

Thanks, Howie.

One more thiing I should mention.  Make sure you get a oil filter for a Evo and not a Twin Cam motor.  The TC filters will fit just fine but have a stiffer anti drain back spring in them.  Evo's use very low oil pressure as normal and a stiff spring could keep oil from passing through the filter media.

Some HD dealers will insist they are interchangeable but they're just trying to make a sale.  The part number from HD (chrome version) is 63796-77A.  Custom Chrome equivalent is 25-250.

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 05:41:56 PM »

...your Oil Filter (chrome) Pn: is out of your Fxr2 Parts Manual?. I have bought my filter already and they are listed as PN: 63798-99, Oil Filter (chrome) out of my Fxr4 Parts Manual.

The 63798-99 filter is for a TC.  The 63796-77A is for a Evolution.  I don't doubt that your parts manual states the TC  number.  I've been told that HD themselves believed the filters were interchangeable when the TC motor was introduced.  It wasn't until some time later that Technicians figured out that the TC filter wasn't passing oil through the filter media.  HD stuck with their story because they wanted to go to a single part number for oil filters, and Evo's had been superseded by TC's anyway, so it was in the company's interest that Evo's wear out.  Generate more customers for new bikes.

So, I leave it up to you.  Me, I use Evo oil filters, either from HD or the aftermarket.  I know it's hard to go against what your parts manual says, that's why I leave it up to you.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 05:52:42 PM »

Blaine, the "-99" part number is the TC filter.  Don't use it on your Evo.  You want the one Mike mentioned above.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »

Thanks guys (Brian and Mike). I'll take the two I bought already back and exchange them for HD PN:63796-77A. I'm glad I posted this thread; I wasn't going to but said what WTH...I'll write that PN in my Parts Manual for future reference...Freaking HD jerkoffs  >:( Thanks again  :2vrolijk_21:

Eastern Performance usually offers the K&N filters for either Evo or TC at pretty good prices if you buy them in qty 4 or more.  Some like their filters better than the HD branded units if for no other reason than the ease of service allowed by the nut on the end of the filter.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 06:32:15 PM »

Hey Thanks Don...I'll check the K&N out and see how they price out. I remember a while back looking at them somewhere and actually didn't even think of them till your post; and a good idea...Thanks :2vrolijk_21:
Here you go I like making it easy for others to spend their money - K&N Chrome Oil Filters Lot of 4, for Harley EVO & XL

Something I learned from Don. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 07:01:47 PM »

Hey Thanks Don...I'll check the K&N out and see how they price out. I remember a while back looking at them somewhere and actually didn't even think of them till your post; and a good idea...Thanks :2vrolijk_21:

No problem.  Eastern is where I order mine.  In the past they've even knocked the price down a tiny bit more for ordering eight.  Since the occasional local buddy comes to Twolane's Garage and Taco Shack it pays to keep a few on hand.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 09:33:17 AM »

Great information on the FXR's  That's why I always check out this site!

JW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 09:57:58 AM »

Here you go I like making it easy for others to spend their money - K&N Chrome Oil Filters Lot of 4, for Harley EVO & XL

Something I learned from Don. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Thanks Gary! Ordered a dozen Evo K&N's myself from them yesterday! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.