Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Tires for my FLHRSE4  (Read 18813 times)

08roadkingse

• CVO1: 2008 Road King CVO
Re: Tires for my FLHRSE4
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 10:52:14 AM »

My whole front end has issues. THe front brake is almost useless due to a hammering on the front wheel when I pull the brake at any speed, I mean BAD. There's a clunk if I grab it hard and the front tire is all cupped.

It's going in next week, I'll report back the end results.

Good luck to all
'08 FLHSRE4
SE 11:1's, Woods .575 Cams, SERT, Heavy Breather a.c., Bassani pipes, Mustang seat, Extended custom bags, custom paint, removable tourpak, Hoppe Fairing w/ klockwerks windshield, 13" wild 1 apes, heated grips, Misc. chrome bling

'05 Deuce (or "the other woman" per/wife)
128hp 113, HD rad. paint, chrome everything, 200 leds on remote, onboard comp. air shocks, my bar hopper

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 11:06:37 AM »

My whole front end has issues. THe front brake is almost useless due to a hammering on the front wheel when I pull the brake at any speed, I mean BAD. There's a clunk if I grab it hard and the front tire is all cupped.

It's going in next week, I'll report back the end results.

Good luck to all
Ask them to put a dial indicator on the rotors. Spec is .008  My front end was also shaking when using front brake and runout was the problem. Good luck.

Howie

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 11:52:13 AM »

GH Howie that is BS!!! Harley will most likely cover the tire. I pushed my dealership to send tire to Harley when Val's first tire E3 radials had a weird wear pattern. Everyone at the dealship said the same thing to many miles. Guess what Harley covered 2 tires and the 3rd one a D407 looks is worse than the E3's. I sure it will be covered under warranty. The problem is no one ever reads the maunfactures waranty ploicy. They think it is based on mileage. It is not!:

"If, during the first fifty percent (50%) of tread wear, the tire becomes unserviceable for a condition covered by this warranty, it will be replaced with a comparable new Dunlop tire. You pay only for retailer services, such as mounting and balancing. If, after the first fifty percent (50%) of tread wear, the tire becomes unserviceable for a condition covered by this warranty, your Dunlop motorcycle tire retailer will replace it with a comparable new Dunlop tire at a cost calculated in the following manner:

After 50% wear:
Either your original buying price substantiated by invoice, or the retailer's current selling price, times (x)
Fifty percent (50%)
Plus (+) all applicable federal excise taxes, and local taxes and all charges for retailer services such as mounting and balancing
A CASH REFUND WILL NOT BE EXTENDED IN LIEU OF THE ABOVE.

GH tell your dealer to apply for warranty!

:pumpkin:
Brad

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 12:08:35 PM »

GH Howie that is BS!!! Harley will most likely cover the tire. I pushed my dealership to send tire to Harley when Val's first tire E3 radials had a weird wear pattern. Everyone at the dealship said the same thing to many miles. Guess what Harley covered 2 tires and the 3rd one a D407 looks is worse than the E3's. I sure it will be covered under warranty. The problem is no one ever reads the maunfactures waranty ploicy. They think it is based on mileage. It is not!:

"If, during the first fifty percent (50%) of tread wear, the tire becomes unserviceable for a condition covered by this warranty, it will be replaced with a comparable new Dunlop tire. You pay only for retailer services, such as mounting and balancing. If, after the first fifty percent (50%) of tread wear, the tire becomes unserviceable for a condition covered by this warranty, your Dunlop motorcycle tire retailer will replace it with a comparable new Dunlop tire at a cost calculated in the following manner:

After 50% wear:
Either your original buying price substantiated by invoice, or the retailer's current selling price, times (x)
Fifty percent (50%)
Plus (+) all applicable federal excise taxes, and local taxes and all charges for retailer services such as mounting and balancing
A CASH REFUND WILL NOT BE EXTENDED IN LIEU OF THE ABOVE.

GH tell your dealer to apply for warranty!

:pumpkin:
Brad

Hi Brad, on the phone now with HD Customer Service. They are not budging on warranty. Reasons are my aggressive driving and/or poor air pressure. What a crock!!

Howie

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 12:20:26 PM »

GH-Not bashing you but when you checked your TP at my house it was low both front and rear and (We looked in owners manual for the correct setting) :) by the time you got to my house you were at the end of your trip. What I'm sayiing is if your TP was low from the start that would cause excessive wear and the reason HD won't cover it.

When you get the new tire check TP offten and keep'em it pumped up.

Wayne

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 12:42:26 PM »

GH-Not bashing you but when you checked your TP at my house it was low both front and rear and (We looked in owners manual for the correct setting) :) by the time you got to my house you were at the end of your trip. What I'm sayiing is if your TP was low from the start that would cause excessive wear and the reason HD won't cover it.

When you get the new tire check TP offten and keep'em it pumped up.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne but tire pressure is checked often.

Howie

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 12:45:18 PM »

Just had front rotors warrantied for runout on the SERK. Front tire cupped badly. Asked dealer to warranty because tire is cupped not worn. Dealer says tech services says its a wear problem and they will not warranty it. 8700 miles on tires hoping for another 1k on the rear. How the hell can they get away with not covering this tire. Sounds as if it's a known issue. To replace a front before the first rear change is bullsh!t IMO. Any thoughts? I'm not looking forward to having to purchase a front tire evry 8k-9k.

Howie

...and as a side note I asked to have the filler cup inside the gas tank replaced due to the paint (powder coated??) flaking off. HD's response is because it's not a visible part and the paint chips will not cause engine problems or fuel filter issues they will not cover that either. Anyone else have this paint flaking problem??

I had both rotors replaced at 12K for a really bad shake. Crazy dealer didn't replace the pads during the replacement so I did that myself. Brakes worked great again but am starting to get the start of that same feeling again, oh so slightly, at 16K. I would talk to the dealer about your front rotors and blame them for the tire wear if possible. I replaced my front at 9K thinking it was just normal wear but now I think it was probably the front brakes wearing it out.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »

I had both rotors replaced at 12K for a really bad shake. Crazy dealer didn't replace the pads during the replacement so I did that myself. Brakes worked great again but am starting to get the start of that same feeling again, oh so slightly, at 16K. I would talk to the dealer about your front rotors and blame them for the tire wear if possible. I replaced my front at 9K thinking it was just normal wear but now I think it was probably the front brakes wearing it out.
That was part of the discussion I had with HD customer service but their position is there is no way for warped rotors to have had any bearing on cupped tires.

The owner of the Dealer told me to get over it and just buy a new tire. There is 2-3/32 of wear left on the tire according to the dealer. Not really sure how far to go with this. What a hassle.

Howie

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 12:52:15 PM »

Hi Brad, on the phone now with HD Customer Service. They are not budging on warranty. Reasons are my aggressive driving and/or poor air pressure. What a crock!!

Howie

Did they ever see you ride aggressively or document that you had low tire pressure when  (IF) they checked it?  If not, they cannot claim either...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:00:32 PM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »

That was part of the discussion I had with HD customer service but their position is there is no way for warped rotors to have had any bearing on cupped tires.

The owner of the Dealer told me to get over it and just buy a new tire. There is 2-3/32 of wear left on the tire according to the dealer. Not really sure how far to go with this. What a hassle.

Howie

If I remember correctly Dunlop's spec for replacement for 1/32.  I never go that far anyway.  2/32 and I'm ready to change a tire.  Especially if it's more than just around town putts ahead of me.

If you're to 2/32 you've used up most of the tire.  Not saying they're not being assholes.  Just wondering if it's worth the hassle of fighting over.  Might be some benefit to letting them know in very pointed terms that you think they're full of chit, but that it's not worth the hassle this time, and that they're on notice that the next warranty question better not be so damned difficult.

Might not gain a thing.  But leaving them potentially on egg shells for a possible next time is at least some benefit.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2008, 12:57:56 PM »

Did they ever see you ride aggressively or document that you had low tire pressure when  (IF) they checked it?  In not, they cannot claim either...

Ahhh one would think.... but it seems not!

Howie

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2008, 12:58:56 PM »

Did they ever see you ride aggressively or document that you had low tire pressure when  (IF) they checked it?  In not, they cannot claim either...

Maybe they can't directly Bill.  But the cupping from low tire pressure is a pretty distinguishable pattern.  And it does look a bit different than, say, cupping from weak shocks/suspension.  I have no faith at all that the dealership really recognizes what they're looking at.  It's just an excuse to them.  But there is a look to it that is instructive.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »

If I remember correctly Dunlop's spec for replacement for 1/32.  I never go that far anyway.  2/32 and I'm ready to change a tire.  Especially if it's more than just around town putts ahead of me.

If you're to 2/32 you've used up most of the tire.  Not saying they're not being assholes.  Just wondering if it's worth the hassle of fighting over.  Might be some benefit to letting them know in very pointed terms that you think they're full of chit, but that it's not worth the hassle this time, and that they're on notice that the next warranty question better not be so damned difficult.

Might not gain a thing.  But leaving them potentially on egg shells for a possible next time is at least some benefit.
Thinking the same thing Don.  :2vrolijk_21:

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2008, 01:01:55 PM »

Sure, there are things that can be indicators of certain abuse, but if it is just a person on the phone, how can they make that argument?
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2008, 01:04:04 PM »

Sure, there are things that can be indicators of certain abuse, but if it is just a person on the phone, how can they make that argument?

Because it's what on the script they've been instructed from....  ???
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 25 queries.