Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tach install  (Read 10542 times)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
tach install
« on: January 15, 2008, 08:31:28 AM »

got a tach for cheap on ebay,,no instructions though,where does the tach wire go,,,,? coil?? or is there a wire somewhere I neeed to connect to,,,,1998 dyna wide glide (carburated)...thanks ,headpan
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: tach install
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 09:24:47 AM »

Depending on the bike there is a wire under the dash that is for a tach hookup (my 00 softail had one). If not the coil will work also. I have a manual for a 98-99 Softail (I know you said Dyna) that I could look in the wiring diagrams for a tach lead.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:09:20 AM »

I thought the coil would work, thanks bro :2vrolijk_21:
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 07:38:17 AM »

On my '98 Fatboy, it went to the coil (HD tach that developed issues).
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »

what kind of tach Gecko??,,I had one on my 86 softail for 18 years and worked flawlessly till i sold the bike,,the one I got on ebay was defective ,,the needle bounced and was out of tolerece by 200 rpm..sending it back 2day,,,I liked the 2-5/8 one ,,but if there is issues with them,i will get the older /bigger one like on my old softail..I knew the tach went to the coil,,but was told about a hidden wire under under the dash(that I did not have)....
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 05:12:22 PM »

Shortly after warranty expiration - naturally - the inside of the front bezel developed what looked like moisture condensation.  Only it wasn't.  It dried to a cracked coating that clung to the face.  The needle froze at about the 1K point, and was not very responsive.  Those things are very difficult to break into by the way, all I ended up with was bloody fingers.  With nothing to lose I stuck the tube from a can of WD40 in the back and sprayed a little in.  That helped for awhile, but it hasn't worked right for the past nine eight years.  Doesn't matter that much though, you just wait until your feet start to vibrate off the floorboards and it's time to shift.  Redline is when both mirrors suddenly droop.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:45:27 PM »

HP,
Did you get your tach installed?  If not, I've got  97 WG that I put a moco tach on.  I'm pretty sure it went to a wire under the console.  I can check this evening for the directions.  I should have them.  Just let me know.

arctic
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 03:42:56 PM »

Not sure how many wires you have, but basic tach has three, installation can usually be made to the coil, but ECU controlled motors usually have a pin on the ECU connector for a tach.

Red - power,  connect to a Switched, fused power source.

Black - Ground

Grey? - Signal lead, negative side of coil.

There might be additional wires for a light, you may need to take off the back.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:00:27 PM by Talon »

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 10:48:26 PM »

Here's what the moco instructions tell us on 98 and earlier:  Your hot lead (red on the moco tach) goes to the speedometer power post inside console; ground (black on moco tach) goes to the connector on the back of the speedometer; and the signal (yellow on moco tach) goes to the coil primary which has a blue or pink wire attached to it.  On some tach kits, you're supposed to connect the signal wire to the ignition harness connector (should be connector #8 in the service manuals, under the right side cover), position #3.  There needs to be a splice made there.  I think I'd try just removing the pink wire from the connector and trying things to see how they worked.  For some reason, the FLHR's don't need that pink wire, yet everything else does?????  I'm not sure why that is, but that's what the directions state.  Hope this helps.  I like my tach on mine, not that I use it much, but think it looks good there.

arctic
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 08:43:26 AM »

I use the tach alot ,so far ,bought 2  off ebay that were broken..
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 11:49:35 AM »

I use the tach alot ,so far ,bought 2  off ebay that were broken..
That blows.

What for a tach are you after? What size, manufature, face color??????????

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 06:22:31 PM »

I finially got a 3-1/2 inch tach that H-D made from 84-96,,,the only issue is it has a red needle ,,my speedo has a white needle,,but F/it,,,I know that tach is durable,I can deal with the different color needles,like i said earler ,I bought (2) ..newer style 2-5/8 tachs,,one was suposubly new,the second one didnt even work ,just lited,,was told there is alot of faliures on those tachs.,dont have the coin for an auto meter,,got this tach in the box ,nos with mounting hardware for 70.00,,,gotta love ebay
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 24 queries.