Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Antenna module???  (Read 2503 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Antenna module???
« on: January 11, 2010, 01:25:32 AM »

I am trying to find a location for the module of my Gerbing heating system.  It seems quite large for the space under the seat.  The problem is that it needs to go just about where the forward part of the battery is located so the wiring is long enough to extend under the tank to the handlebar area for my dual controls.  And to have the 2 hookups exit just above the coil for easy access for hooking up.  The issue is the antenna module is attached there now just forward of the battery on a sliding sort of attachment.  My plan is to detach it, remove one wire-tye, and reposition it back behind the battery around the fuse area.  That should just barely give me room to squeeze in the Gerbing heating module in that space.  Does anybody have a viable idea why it wouldn't work to reposition the antenna?  Would it have an adverse affect on the security system, sensitivity, etc?  Don't really want to cut the plastic under the seat to make room that way, unless realllllly necessary, which it isn't.  My last bike was my learner bike, and this time I'm not doing some of those stupid things one does on their first bikes..........   yet!   ha!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:10:03 AM by porkypig »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Re: Antenna module???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:17:50 PM »

Porky

One of the first things HD tells you is not to mess with the antenna location. It's in the manual and on a sticker somewhere. We had an issue with the fob being read so we did move it but it was moved toward the tank a few inches only. It now works fine.

Moving the antenna further under the seat cushion may cause you issues as we had, not picking up the fob signal. Only suggestion I have is, if it won't fit, don't force it. Cutting the seat to make room is not an option either. Can your Gerbing stuff be put in your saddle bag during cold weather then removed for the rest of the riding season? Just thinking out loud.

If you do move the antenna, set your security code to easy numbers and keep the info card in your pocket. I have a feeling you'll be needing it.  :2vrolijk_21:

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »

Hey, Wiz, thanks for replying.  If you read my topic http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=43958.0
you will remember that I have tried to get the bike to unlock with my PIN code and it won't respond to the code at all. It has responded to allow me to change the code but when I try to unlock it without the keyfob being close by it won't allow it.  So, in that respect I guess I will wait until i get my 1000 miles on the bike and take it in for the 1000 mile check and have it fixed at that time.  Nearest facility is 85 miles away and it is cold lately.  But back to the issue with the antenna module, I can't understand why moving it 3 inches rearward may make it not know where the key fob is but you may be right.  the more they make these sofisticated, the more trouble they cause, seems like. 

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »

Yup, we read your post, she replied at the last. I'm telling you...that siren is loud in a garage don't care what ya say.

Two reasons I can think of for not moving it to the rear...

More electronic interference and a thicker part of the seat blocking the signal from the fob. This is why I moved ours forward.

What they will do is put your bike on the Digital Technician and change the code for you so have your numbers in mind when you go. Will only take a few minutes. Hopefully there are no other issues where the ECM programming is bad or a turn signal switch is mucked up.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 02:38:22 PM »

Can your Gerbing stuff be put in your saddle bag during cold weather then removed for the rest of the riding season? Just thinking out loud.

Do you mean the wiring?  None of it is long enough to fit into the saddlebags.  Otherwise I would put it behind the battery.  Not sure what I will do.  I am sure by the time i make the decision what to do, and how to accomplish it all, the warmer weather will be here and no need for the warm stuff this year.  ha!  Took a while a couple years ago how to mount the controls to the top of the handlebar clamp.  Now this handlebar clamp is different bolt pattern but may do similar design.  Always something isn't it?  But I still like this bike better than my 05 Heritage.  Can't wait for my first real out of town trip where it can get out an breathe.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 25 queries.