Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: When is a CVO not a CVO?  (Read 12349 times)

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
When is a CVO not a CVO?
« on: September 01, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »

Rode to town yesterday and stopped off at a local diner that is popular with riders.  There were about a hundred bikes there, and it is fun to grab a beverage and walk and talk about the bikes and other motorcycle topics.  Seems we all have stories about our rides and (in general) we like to share them.  As we walked and asked several people about their bikes, the question that usually comes back is “So what are you ridin’?” and the stories begin.

After twenty minutes or so I was looking at a tricked out touring bike; pipes, paint, chrome, seat, handlebars, wheels, grips, etc, etc, etc.  I was impressed and asked “What did it start out as?” and was surprised that the response was “It’s a CVO Street Glide”.  We all praised the guy and his bike, which is truly “custom” but as we took a table for lunch, the discussion surrounded the issue: “What is a CVO Harley Davidson and/or what isn’t.” 

There was nothing about that bike that looked liked it had ANY CVO DNA in it, or on it.  I guess if he took it in for service, a dealer could reference the VIN, and determine what it started out as, but there, on the street, it was no longer a CVO (if it ever was).  Moreover, trading it in as a CVO might not be viable since it is likely to be worth more (to him at least) but no longer fits a NADA (CVO) category.

So I thought I would post this as a question to everyone but especially to our most experienced members: Presuming we all start out with stock or primarily stock CVO’s, is there a point when we leave the title behind? Can we modify our CVO’s to the point when they no longer qualify? Or if you are born a CVO you die a CVO regardless of modifications?
Should we care? Does it matter? Well, it matters to me if I am buying your “Custom Vehicle” that isn’t a CVO.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
Re: When is a CVO not a CVO?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »

There are some CVO's I like and there are some custom bikes that I like.  So to me, it makes no difference of what something use to be, I'm more interested in what it is and what I could make it be.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 01:41:31 PM »

on paper, it will always be a cvo.

in reality, i suppose once you get rid of the paint, and the wheels, and done some cutting, then i think you've left cvo territory.  seats, handlebars, chrome doo-dads, those are all easily replaceable.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »

I have always thought a CVO had a colored painted frame ? example  mine is the  red colored frame
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 02:40:51 PM »

Rode to town yesterday and stopped off at a local diner that is popular with riders.  There were about a hundred bikes there, and it is fun to grab a beverage and walk and talk about the bikes and other motorcycle topics.  Seems we all have stories about our rides and (in general) we like to share them.  As we walked and asked several people about their bikes, the question that usually comes back is “So what are you ridin’?” and the stories begin.

After twenty minutes or so I was looking at a tricked out touring bike; pipes, paint, chrome, seat, handlebars, wheels, grips, etc, etc, etc.  I was impressed and asked “What did it start out as?” and was surprised that the response was “It’s a CVO Street Glide”.  We all praised the guy and his bike, which is truly “custom” but as we took a table for lunch, the discussion surrounded the issue: “What is a CVO Harley Davidson and/or what isn’t.” 

There was nothing about that bike that looked liked it had ANY CVO DNA in it, or on it.  I guess if he took it in for service, a dealer could reference the VIN, and determine what it started out as, but there, on the street, it was no longer a CVO (if it ever was).  Moreover, trading it in as a CVO might not be viable since it is likely to be worth more (to him at least) but no longer fits a NADA (CVO) category.

So I thought I would post this as a question to everyone but especially to our most experienced members: Presuming we all start out with stock or primarily stock CVO’s, is there a point when we leave the title behind? Can we modify our CVO’s to the point when they no longer qualify? Or if you are born a CVO you die a CVO regardless of modifications?
Should we care? Does it matter? Well, it matters to me if I am buying your “Custom Vehicle” that isn’t a CVO.

OWL

Once a CVO (born @ the MoCo with proper VIN)... always a CVO. We all modify our bikes in one way or another... other than the paint/bodywork the motor is what I would say is/are the most identifiable traits, but.... if either are changed it still carries the VIN of a Harley-Davidson CVO. Will changing the paint/bodywork hurt resale... all depends on what the purchaser is looking for (if he's looking at a CVO that no longer has factory paint/bodywork). However this could also be true for the things other than paint/bodywork we do to our bikes someone looking to purchase the bike might not like those mods either. It's all about personal preference and what a person is looking for.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 02:41:54 PM »

I have always thought a CVO had a colored painted frame ? example  mine is the  red colored frame
Not all are painted/powdercoated to match the bike. Mine like many others is powdercoated black.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 02:44:38 PM »

didn't realize that .. thanks  Fired00d
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 03:37:31 PM »

As far as title, yes once a CVO always a CVO.  BUT, there most definitely comes a point, I believe where if modified enough, for all practical purposes crosses over the line to be considered a full on Custom.  For example, if in the US, they made around 621 of my bike, a 2012 CVO RGC Maple Metallic/Vivid Black, but I then stripped it to the frame and rebuilt it (cut, rake, big wheel, motor, body parts, paint, etc, etc), then it would become 1 of 1.  Instead of 1 of 621.   
2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »

Once a CVO (born @ the MoCo with proper VIN)... always a CVO. We all modify our bikes in one way or another... other than the paint/bodywork the motor is what I would say is/are the most identifiable traits, but.... if either are changed it still carries the VIN of a Harley-Davidson CVO. Will changing the paint/bodywork hurt resale... all depends on what the purchaser is looking for (if he's looking at a CVO that no longer has factory paint/bodywork). However this could also be true for the things other than paint/bodywork we do to our bikes someone looking to purchase the bike might not like those mods either. It's all about personal preference and what a person is looking for.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I agree.  No different than yesterday's musclecars that were modded to suite the owners' tastes.  No matter how unrecognizable that (insert your favorite brand and model here) was when they were done, the VIN still dictates what something is. 

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 06:18:54 AM »

As far as title, yes once a CVO always a CVO.  BUT, there most definitely comes a point, I believe where if modified enough, for all practical purposes crosses over the line to be considered a full on Custom.  For example, if in the US, they made around 621 of my bike, a 2012 CVO RGC Maple Metallic/Vivid Black, but I then stripped it to the frame and rebuilt it (cut, rake, big wheel, motor, body parts, paint, etc, etc), then it would become 1 of 1.  Instead of 1 of 621.   

It takes a lot of work, money, and a plan to make all this happen, especially in one year.  I'm curious, why would someone with your abilities start off with a CVO?  Starting with a stock bike would have saved you 10k.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

hdtrader

• Full CVO Member
  • ...in the motorcycle riding business since 1964.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7 in Electric Orange and Black Diamond accented with H-D's Big City Lights Graphics...how did the MoCo come up with a description like that?
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 06:27:42 AM »

...the VIN makes it a CVO no matter what has been done to it.  You can build a regular Harley and make it look like a CVO but it will never be a CVO...the VIN Rules!
Randy
North Alabama...the Greater Tennessee Valley

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 06:42:18 AM »

...the VIN makes it a CVO no matter what has been done to it.  You can build a regular Harley and make it look like a CVO but it will never be a CVO...the VIN Rules!

+1

It's the VIN that makes it a CVO. No matter what you do to it later, it will always be a CVO because it was born as one.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 07:46:42 AM »

It's all in the Vin #
DND

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »

It takes a lot of work, money, and a plan to make all this happen, especially in one year.  I'm curious, why would someone with your abilities start off with a CVO?  Starting with a stock bike would have saved you 10k.

OWL

This was hypothetical.  I DIDN"T do it, BUT guys do it all the time.
2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »

This was hypothetical.  I DIDN"T do it, BUT guys do it all the time.

LOL, Phil... you're halfway to a BIG WHEEL already!

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »

+1

It's the VIN that makes it a CVO. No matter what you do to it later, it will always be a CVO because it was born as one.

Ken

I would agree with that. Would make things in life easier if our some of our "leaders" would use that same principal with humans??   :2vrolijk_21:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »

I agree that the vin number can tell it's origin, surprising that H-D never made a special Vin# series for CVOs (I guess closest is models that have badging one of 1800 etc.)Of course we all know CVO used to mean assembled in a different building in a different manner from the general assembly line, now it seems not much difference other than bells and whistles on same assembly line as standard bikes....
You might have a thousand or so CVO bikes in a particular model but the special paint sets might be even more rare when they come at 50 or 100 in a year. (Of course you can't order the limited paint sets on the assembly line to make your bike come with them.)
I know many think CVO is more valuable than a standard bike and it may hold it's value some but it also depreciates in most cases. This always makes me think about values of old cars and there are two trains of thought where the "purist" likes and values a vehicle that looks like it just rolled off the assembly line with as few mods as possible vs. the "hot-rodder" who likes the general style of an old car but wants it souped up with more power and all the modern conveniences.  Value is then dependent on the buyer.

jaymedic44

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO limited silver/ autumn

• CVO1: 2009 Cvo ultra
    • CVO2: 2006 cvo ultra
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO limited
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »

I've always added mods to my cvo's. my 09 has a cam, thundermax, Fulsac baffles, ez breather, legend air , progressive fork tubes, pm 21inch front wheel and on and on. The fun thing about any Harley , including a cvo, is making it your own. And not just another bike.
2014 CVO limited silver/autumn
2009 Cvo ULTRA 21 inch Pm wheels legend air ride progressive monotubs Fulsac exhaust
2006 Cvo ULTRA Autum Haze
2005 Heritage Softail World of wheels show bike
2004 Ultra Gold/Black
2003 Road King  Black/Silver
1999 Ultra Blue/Silver
1998 Road king Red/ Gold
1996 springer Custom
1974 Sportster

NYRdKngLouis

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »

A CVO is determined by the VIN number...to a dealer. A buyer, may buy and pay for the bike for it performance and/or looks.
The 2014 CVO Breakout has 3 colors schemes. Only one of those color schemes, the frame matches the tins colors. The other 2 schemes, frames are color...black. The one with matching frame/tins is the con\balt blue.

On other topic...
a 2013 CVO Roadking MSRP is $29,999
a 2014 CVO Roadking MSRP is $28,499

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 01:42:34 AM »

A CVO is determined by the VIN number...to a dealer. A buyer, may buy and pay for the bike for it performance and/or looks.
The 2014 CVO Breakout has 3 colors schemes. Only one of those color schemes, the frame matches the tins colors. The other 2 schemes, frames are color...black. The one with matching frame/tins is the con\balt blue.

On other topic...
a 2013 CVO Roadking MSRP is $29,999
a 2014 CVO Roadking MSRP is $28,499

from what I recall the 2014 doesnt have the ipod/audio setup... and $32,499 on HD website
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:47:09 AM by 2012_FLTRXSE »

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

davidw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 08:17:58 AM »

It's all in the Vin #

I love the CVO, but I wanted my own paint job! So I built a mock CVO, added features  CVO doesn't have, I ride with buddies that have CVO's gave them ideas for their bikes.
Another thing I didn't like about the CVO is the Road King modified gas tank, I thought it looked cheesy.
My insurance guy priced me a CVO quote, it was inspected by an adjuster before they insured it.
$32,000 replacement cost. The local Harley sales guy, says I could get $35,000 if I wanted to sell it.
Bragging rights for the VIN on a CVO yes your right,  the only way to see that mine isn't a CVO is the VIN. The reason I blog here is my love for the CVO. No disrespect here for the rest of you guys, bottom line Harley didn't have what I wanted, and if I was going to spend the big bucks, it was going to be what I wanted.

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 08:29:55 AM »

A CVO is not only about the paint and look of a bike.  My CVO has a 110, adjustable progressive shocks, hydrolic clutch, oil cooler and many other items which don't come standard on non cvo bikes.   A CVO is a CVO.... but who really cares as long as you love your bike.

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 10:03:42 AM »

Well it was bound to happen, and since this was my original post, I guess it’s time for me to jump back in.  The following thoughts are MY OPINIONS ONLY, I am NOT attempting to summarize or paraphrase any group of thoughts previously expressed on this topic.

MY understanding is that the CVO CONCEPT was to produce a limited issue group of motorcycles that were unique by the options and paint installed on a specialized assembly line at HD.  The CVO Concept was NOT intended to make the OWNER’S “ELITE”, that has become a negative association attached by (some) NON-CVO owners; I consider it nothing more than envy. 

I posted this question to define and answer "what is a CVO?", and I described a guy who has a bike that IS a CVO but it isn’t, and davidw221 has a CVO that ISN’T, but (he states that, for all practical purposes) IT IS.  The respondents to this thread have been clear, a CVO is determined by the MoCo at birth and certified by the VIN, PERIOD, like it or not.

In MY opinion HD has diluted the entire concept.  The specialized production line no longer exists.  The CVO product line is shrinking and there is a push (by HD) to establish consumer perceptions that ALL products in the entire lineup CAN BE Custom Vehicles. The CVO LINEUP is fading and in as little as five years may be completely gone.  But the CONCEPT will remain and survive as: “Special”, “Limited”, “Custom”, “Dark Custom”,“Heritage”, “Deluxe”, “Ultra”, “Ultra Limited”, and (try this) The Deluxe, Ultra Limited, Dark Custom, Heritage Softail, Special.  This is called MARKETING.

MY experience has been that this forum does not look down it’s nose on ANYBODY.  Everyone is respected, all questions are answered, and all bikes and their owners are considered welcome here.  However, we are primarily Harley Owners, AND we are primarily CVO owner’s as well.  It is clear (to me) that the CVO concept is “Pride of Ownership” and that is true of ALL Harley owners.  That said, there is plenty of room in the motorcycle world and the Harley Davidson community, for a unique group of products that have been modified by the MoCo to a standard different than “stock”, and those that admire, enjoy, appreciate and ride these powerful, beautiful, machines have a common interest, and share that interest in this worthwhile forum. 

OWL

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »

Owl

Very well put.  I joined this forum long before being a CVO owner because I was interested in them and thought (was sure) I wanted one. Have learned  a lot here and felt very well prepared when I purchased my 2010 FLHXSE.  I knew what it was and what it wasn't and had too many ideas  :) about what I wanted to do to it.

I can say that I never felt "looked down upon" before buying a CVO.  Everyone was always helpful and quickly answered any question posed.   
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »

So I agree the Moco makes a CVO and the VIN signifies that but can you modify(F--- uP) a CVO till it is not one? :huepfenlol2: I bought one because i liked the color, motor and overall look. I have considered betting a CVO RoadGlide but not seeing a color that thrilled me i thought of painting one. Honestly that would be messing it up and killing it's right to be sold as a real CVO even if it had the correct VIN. To finalize my point I'll say a woman can be born with tits and a puss but if you cut them off and put on a dick she just ain't the same gal. :huepfenlol2:

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »

well don't sugarcoat it Doc, tell us what you really think !!!!!

OWL

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 04:46:07 PM »

well don't sugarcoat it Doc, tell us what you really think !!!!!

OWL
I tried but I ain't no good with words. ;) I will add what irks me is when people say they made theirs a CVO. BFS! Only the Harley Davidson MoCo can make a CVO, period. I have a good riding buddy that refers to his Ultra Limited as a poor mans CVO and that I can respect.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 11:03:04 PM »

My Bike is a 2000 FXR4 CVO. It is heavily modified to my liking. S&S V111 motor, Rivera- Primo Overdrive
Transmission,  Custom S.S. stepped 2 into 1 pipes, Custom 49mm front end and much more.
Ltank

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 11:19:55 PM »

Yep....X2. 

X3, the VIN says it all, the rest are just opinions. Now, you don't have to call it a CVO if you don't want to...

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »

Well it was bound to happen, and since this was my original post, I guess it’s time for me to jump back in.  The following thoughts are MY OPINIONS ONLY, I am NOT attempting to summarize or paraphrase any group of thoughts previously expressed on this topic.

MY understanding is that the CVO CONCEPT was to produce a limited issue group of motorcycles that were unique by the options and paint installed on a specialized assembly line at HD.  The CVO Concept was NOT intended to make the OWNER’S “ELITE”, that has become a negative association attached by (some) NON-CVO owners; I consider it nothing more than envy. 

I posted this question to define and answer "what is a CVO?", and I described a guy who has a bike that IS a CVO but it isn’t, and davidw221 has a CVO that ISN’T, but (he states that, for all practical purposes) IT IS.  The respondents to this thread have been clear, a CVO is determined by the MoCo at birth and certified by the VIN, PERIOD, like it or not.

In MY opinion HD has diluted the entire concept.  The specialized production line no longer exists.  The CVO product line is shrinking and there is a push (by HD) to establish consumer perceptions that ALL products in the entire lineup CAN BE Custom Vehicles. The CVO LINEUP is fading and in as little as five years may be completely gone.  But the CONCEPT will remain and survive as: “Special”, “Limited”, “Custom”, “Dark Custom”,“Heritage”, “Deluxe”, “Ultra”, “Ultra Limited”, and (try this) The Deluxe, Ultra Limited, Dark Custom, Heritage Softail, Special.  This is called MARKETING.

MY experience has been that this forum does not look down it’s nose on ANYBODY.  Everyone is respected, all questions are answered, and all bikes and their owners are considered welcome here.  However, we are primarily Harley Owners, AND we are primarily CVO owner’s as well.  It is clear (to me) that the CVO concept is “Pride of Ownership” and that is true of ALL Harley owners.  That said, there is plenty of room in the motorcycle world and the Harley Davidson community, for a unique group of products that have been modified by the MoCo to a standard different than “stock”, and those that admire, enjoy, appreciate and ride these powerful, beautiful, machines have a common interest, and share that interest in this worthwhile forum. 

OWL

Well put, Owl. I agree that the CVO concept is being diluted a bit, as bikes such as the '14 Ultra Limited and SG Special are coming stock with more and more goodies that formerly were available only on CVOs.

The CVOs having been built by a separate group in the past, but now being built on the main line, might be good or bad. I guess one would need to have access to CVO vs. non-CVO warranty claims and repair records to know for sure whether moving CVO production to the main line was a good idea or not. However, if people bought CVOs in the past just for the snob appeal of their bike having been built by a small, separate group - then I think that's a bit sad. I don't care one whit how my bike was built, nor by who, along as it's built WELL.

I do think that the CVO paint is the biggest thing, besides the 110 and the wheels, that really sets CVOs apart. Strictly from a resale value perspective, the CVO paint has been a sought-after item that I think has kept resale values higher for CVOs... but that might not be as true as it used to be. And I have seen many fabulous, TRULY custom paint jobs on non-CVO bikes.

I also think that that 110 engine is not as "cool" as it used to be... given that all non-CVO bikes now come with the 103 instead of the 96. Now, there is only 7" difference in CI, instead of the 14" difference there used to be.

Also, the CVOs used to come with the Rumble Collection stuff, but starting in '13 CVOs come with the not-as-fancy Slipstream Collection stuff. In my opinion, the Rumble stuff really set CVOs apart... but that distinction is now gone. I am really glad I bought my '12 SESG before that change!

One thing that I have a great deal of difficulty seeing the value of for 2014 is the huge difference in cost between CVOs and non-CVOs... in particular the loaded '14 Limited vs. the bare-bones '14 SERK, or the '14 CVO Limited vs. the '14 Ultra Limited... which has a ton of equipment for $12K less.

I do agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph about this forum, though! Whenever I'm out and see a CVO, I usually will walk up, introduce myself, and ask if they are on CVOHarley. I am amazed at how many CVO owners have not heard of it.  :nixweiss: Of course, I always recommend they they join in on all the fun and camaraderie we have here!

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

NYRdKngLouis

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 11:26:04 AM »

38892 people view/read news about 2014 models...

I had a Fatboy CVO...was the most beautiful bike, color wise. Bought it used. previous owner had installed more and more chrome accessories. Bike was admire by anyone that liked bikes or not..just because of the colors combo...
but...

the riding...

the seat killed me.

I changed 3 seats looking for comfort...never reached a comfortable riding position. Couldn't ride the bike more than 30 mins. Many of my friends rode the bike and had no problems. So, it was me. I sold the bike. All in all, I lost $800 after 3 years of ownership...not a bad deal. Now, I am waiting for a CVO BO.

I have spent lots of times and research investigating how to convert a non-cvo into a cvo...well, I gave up. It is too expensive to get the right colors or buy the tins from H-D...then the 110 and rims etc etc...
While I am waiting for my CVO BO, I decided to bring my SG as close as possible to the beauty of a CVO SG...had looked to buy a used CVO SG but they cost more than a new one...so, I am spending some $$ in stuff that will make me happy with my SG...and when I get ready to trade in ...let's see how much it will set me back...

davidw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 07:05:46 AM »

Here us a couple of pics of my wannabe CVO

davidw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 07:35:48 AM »

Here is another pic

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 08:43:19 AM »

Here's my mod, before

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 08:43:56 AM »

After,

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »

And to further confuse the topic..........when is a CVO not a Screamin' Eagle?  :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:06 AM »

And to further confuse the topic..........when is a CVO not a Screamin' Eagle?  :nixweiss: spyder

The SE designation on top of the CVO models started with the 2000 Road Glides.  So the CVOs that aren't also called SE were the FXRs.  Neither of the FXR models in 1999 nor the FXR4 in 2000 had "Screamin' Eagle" in their advertised names nor SE in their nomenclature.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »

The SE designation on top of the CVO models started with the 2000 Road Glides.  So the CVOs that aren't also called SE were the FXRs.  Neither of the FXR models in 1999 nor the FXR4 in 2000 had "Screamin' Eagle" in their advertised names nor SE in their nomenclature.

Doesn't this list include the FXDWG2/3/4?
Big Lew
IBA #595

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 09:01:11 AM »

Well my understanding is that the model, or more accurately the division in which they are built (or used to be built) is the Custom Vehicle Operations, or CVO. Screamin' Eagle is one of the themes of the CVO that started with the first Gen Road Glides. This, coupled with the fact that the performance upgrades were Screamin' Eagle parts, led to the general acceptance that all CVOs were Screamin' Eagle bikes. This was told to me by someone (I forget who) at the LA Bike show when I commented on the Skulls theme on the Skunks.

But I could be wrong.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »

Agree w/twolane. The bike designation would have the SE included. FXDWG2’s & 3's, FXR's were not Screamin' Eagles. I believe all bikes with the SE designation were SE's on the basis of the motor work, either 103‘s or 110‘s.

My WG2 had the SE 95 upgrade performed early in it's life by the original owner but that still doesn't get it the SE designation. The heads say Screamin' Eagle, but the title does not.

I don't believe there are any HD's with the SE designation on the name that are not CVO's. Anyone want to dispute that?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:38:21 PM by Buy early »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »

Agree w/twolane. The bike designation would have the SE included. FXDWG2’s & 3's, FXR's were not Screamin' Eagles. I believe all bikes with the SE designation were SE's on the basis of the motor work, either 103‘s or 110‘s.

My WG2 had the SE 95 upgrade performed early in it's life by the original owner but that still doesn't get it the SE designation. The heads say Screamin' Eagle, but the title does not.
103's weren't available until 2003... the prior year SE's (2000 - 2002) had 95 ci motors.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »

103's weren't available until 2003... the prior year SE's (2000 - 2002) had 95 ci motors.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I sit corrected. ;)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »

Wasn't the 103 RoadKing the only Screamin' Eagle/CVO bike in '03?  In one color offering also, now that's limited edition.  ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »

I took the factory tour at York PA back in May of this year.  When the lady was talking about the CVOs being built evidently I was shaking my head in agreement or something.  She asked if I had one and I said yes.  She asked what kind and I replied "2010 Screamin Eagle Street Glide"  She told me that the bikes weren't called that anymore and they were now called CVOs.  Just thought her comment was interesting since the model designation was FLHXSE on my bike but oh well... what do I know.   8)
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »

Wasn't the 103 RoadKing the only Screamin' Eagle/CVO bike in '03?  In one color offering also, now that's limited edition.  ;) spyder
Yep... the Deuce's were 95 ci.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »

Yep... the Deuce's were 95 ci.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

But their model designation was still FXSTDSE.  Unless I'm forgetting some model later on the FXRs were the only CVO bikes without the Screamin' Eagle (SE) designation in their model nomenclature.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2013, 02:19:44 PM »

But their model designation was still FXSTDSE.  Unless I'm forgetting some model later on the FXRs were the only CVO bikes without the Screamin' Eagle (SE) designation in their model nomenclature.

Like I posted earlier, you're forgetting the FXDWG2/3.  They didn't have the SE designation.
Big Lew
IBA #595

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2013, 02:35:57 PM »

Like I posted earlier, you're forgetting the FXDWG2/3.  They didn't have the SE designation.

I did.  Good catch.  I've even lusted after the red one so I knew better :huepfenlol2: .

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »

True... The question from Spyder was the SERK the only SE in '03 w/a 103 ci engine.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »

True... The question from Spyder was the SERK the only SE in '03 w/a 103 ci engine.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Well I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I'm a big dumass :P .

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2013, 02:54:47 PM »

Well I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I'm a big dumass :P .

What's worse, a dumass or a butthole?

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21652.0

:nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »

What's worse, a dumass or a butthole?

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21652.0

:nixweiss:

SBB

Neither.  A cowChip is worse.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »

There are a lot of HD owners and riders that aren't even aware of Screamin Eagles or CVO's.  :confused5:

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 05:32:29 PM »

There are a lot of HD owners and riders that aren't even aware of Screamin Eagles or CVO's.  :confused5:

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Plenty of folks don't know what a Shelby Mustang or an AMG Mercedes are either and they lead perfectly normal lives.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Plenty of folks don't know what a Shelby Mustang or an AMG Mercedes are either and they lead perfectly normal lives.

Normal maybe, exciting NOT!

;)

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2013, 07:54:02 PM »

Neither.  A cowChip is worse.

No wonder the streets were lined when we rode through this town.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2013, 07:56:05 PM »

No wonder the streets were lined when we rode through this town.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

Ouch, that would have to hurt....

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »

Ouch, that would have to hurt....

No hurt, just smell!

;D

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2013, 08:12:08 PM »

No hurt, just smell!

;D

SBB

I will, of course, defer to your experience in being so tossed.  But what if they're not soft and wet but, instead, hard and crusty?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2013, 08:22:29 PM »

I will, of course, defer to your experience in being so tossed.  But what if they're not soft and wet but, instead, hard and crusty?

No experience there, I would have to defer to yours.
The scooper pooper never lets them get hard and crusty.

:jalapeno:

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

hdff

• Iron Butt #54101
  • Full CVO Member
  • Ride hard or go home.........

• CVO1: 2012 flhtcuse7
    • CVO2: 1992 FXSTC
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2013, 03:45:30 PM »

Not all are painted/powdercoated to match the bike. Mine like many others is powdercoated black.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
i agree, mine is black also
:fireman::fireman:
2012 FLHTCUSE7  "Flossie"

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2013, 10:32:52 PM »

Just read through this thread for the first time.  I can kinda see both sides here.  While I agree that the VIN ultimately decides if it's a CVO or not, I also feel that there are some things on a CVO that make it one.

The first is paint - I don't think Harley allows you to purchase a CVO paint scheme from their custom shop, so the CVO paint schemes should be truly unique to the CVO line.
Second would be VIN-restricted parts - granted, you could always trade or buy them from someone getting rid of them from their own CVO, but it's still designed to be an exclusive to the CVO line.
Third (which isn't a valid reason anymore) would have been the dedicated/hand assembly instead of the assembly line.  Two dealerships had given me incorrect info on this when I was shopping around, telling me that the CVO's are always hand-built by two guys instead of the assembly line.  It wasn't until I came here that I learned that this wasn't the case anymore.  I can understand the need to cut costs, etc, but to me I think that they should have continued that practice.  While I'm sure the assembly line quality is good, there IS a difference when the same two master builders go through everything in building a bike (hope I didn't open a box on that one). 

That being said, someone can get almost everything else by ordering parts from Harley - engine, drivetrain, suspension, gauges, controls, etc.  If someone didn't want the special paint scheme or some of the more unique/restricted parts on it, I don't know why it would make sense to get a CVO and then change those things.  Would make more sense to buy a standard and do everything to it that you'd plan on doing to a CVO (IMO).

I'm definitely not trying to be a snob in my next comment, because I had NO Harley experience prior to my purchase.  I wanted to get the best that Harley offered, and thought the CVO line was it.  Granted, there are after-market options that might be better on some things, but I thought it would be best to start with Harley's "best" and go from there in my quest to make my bike truly mine.

Tru - someone can beat me into a corner if I'm overstepping my bounds as a no-experience Newb   :nixweiss:

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »

Just read through this thread for the first time.  I can kinda see both sides here.  While I agree that the VIN ultimately decides if it's a CVO or not, I also feel that there are some things on a CVO that make it one.

The first is paint - I don't think Harley allows you to purchase a CVO paint scheme from their custom shop, so the CVO paint schemes should be truly unique to the CVO line.
Second would be VIN-restricted parts - granted, you could always trade or buy them from someone getting rid of them from their own CVO, but it's still designed to be an exclusive to the CVO line.
Third (which isn't a valid reason anymore) would have been the dedicated/hand assembly instead of the assembly line.  Two dealerships had given me incorrect info on this when I was shopping around, telling me that the CVO's are always hand-built by two guys instead of the assembly line.  It wasn't until I came here that I learned that this wasn't the case anymore.  I can understand the need to cut costs, etc, but to me I think that they should have continued that practice.  While I'm sure the assembly line quality is good, there IS a difference when the same two master builders go through everything in building a bike (hope I didn't open a box on that one). 

That being said, someone can get almost everything else by ordering parts from Harley - engine, drivetrain, suspension, gauges, controls, etc.  If someone didn't want the special paint scheme or some of the more unique/restricted parts on it, I don't know why it would make sense to get a CVO and then change those things.  Would make more sense to buy a standard and do everything to it that you'd plan on doing to a CVO (IMO).

I'm definitely not trying to be a snob in my next comment, because I had NO Harley experience prior to my purchase.  I wanted to get the best that Harley offered, and thought the CVO line was it.  Granted, there are after-market options that might be better on some things, but I thought it would be best to start with Harley's "best" and go from there in my quest to make my bike truly mine.

Tru - someone can beat me into a corner if I'm overstepping my bounds as a no-experience Newb   :nixweiss:
I actually think you are "right on"

Alan

SLJ

• SLJ
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I noticed the frame colour of my 2014 Silver/Black BO is not straight black but black with fine silver metallic flake.
I remember looking at the 2013 Silver/Black BO and noting that the frame was silver metallic.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:31:13 PM by SLJ »
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 24 queries.