Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Frustrated, why won't the sissy bar fit?  (Read 12518 times)

jplut

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

Frustrated, why won't the sissy bar fit?
« on: March 21, 2015, 11:07:36 AM »

Trying to install my low detachable passenger backrest on my new 2015 FLHXSE and it will NOT fit.  It appears, on the right side, the part that mounts to the shock mount actually hit the shock.  After beating on it a bit, I can see some scoring on the top of the shock and on the bar itself.

Only thing I can think to do would be to grind down the sissy bar metal a little bit?

Anyone else run into this issue, feeling really frustrated at the moment.  The shocks are the same as the SGS aren't they, you would figure this would have come up before.

If it has, I can't find the right search term.  Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Frustrated, why won't the sissy bar fit?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:12:56 AM »

Other folks on this forum have reported the same issue, and found that their right side shock was upside down and had to be flipped over.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 11:15:11 AM »

+1

I had to flip mine over on the right side. Only takes a few minutes.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 11:26:16 AM »

HD quality at it's best  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

jplut

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 12:19:18 PM »

Yup, my right side was flipped upside down.  I swapped it to look like the ones in the pictures, both pistons are now facing downward.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the sissy bar to install.  The tabs on the sissy don't seem to be wide enough.  The Tour Pak goes on fine though.  Too damn cold to bring it down to the dealership so I'll have to wait.

Last two bikes, same kind of problem, at least on my '12 I could get the sissy bar on...

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 01:09:45 PM »

I had a sissy bar once that was too wide. I just layed one side on a blanket and put weight on the other side to narrow it a little. Like Jswerve said Harley quality at it's finest :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:21:44 PM by T-Roy »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 01:19:29 PM »

My sissy bar didn't fit either with the 4 point kit so I took the spacers off and shaved .030 off. Fit perfect now.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

jplut

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 04:56:22 PM »

Yah, I messed with it for way too long.  Rotated the shock, found that the 4 point mount points could be rotated to change the way the spacers fit, that helped a little, but bottom line, the thing just won't fit and I have no idea why, the latches won't rotate into place, it all appears to be fully seated now.

Will talk to the dealer about it tomorrow, I'm done for the day. 

jplut

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 01:17:11 PM »

Just to close this up, for anyone else having trouble.  Read the instructions (which I didn't get since the hardware was installed by the dealer).  After I flipped the shock, I found that the mounts themselves had washers where there didn't need to be, that there is a "thick" side and a "thin" side that needed to be flopped, and that the mounts themselves are oblong with a "loose" and a "tight" fitting.  Once adjusted, the sissy bar and my tour pak went on and off like butter (well, still snug, but I could get them on and off without the use of curse words).

A trip to the dealer and chat with the service lady and a tech, plus a printout of the instructions, solved everything...  Go figure.

Thanks for the tip on the shock too!

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2015 CVO Street Glide. 2014 CVO Soft tail
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 12:03:19 AM »

Pics please.  I am still having issues with my tour pac. 

jplut

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 07:47:26 AM »

Do have the black or the chrome 4 point? 

I also learned that they are, believe it or not, different.  The black plastic mount points are different, the chrome set up has a button head screw that sits proud of the mount, on the black kit, the plastic mount points are countersunk and the screw sits flush to the outside. 

Hard to believe but I couldn't argue with what I saw.  I have pictures of the chrome set up I took at the dealer, I'll need to take some pictures of my set up.  But use the instructions, they explain the order of installation and the keying of the mount pretty well.  I'll try to get a pic shortly.

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2015 CVO Street Glide. 2014 CVO Soft tail
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 08:01:48 PM »

I have the chrome one.   The mount was already installed on my CVO so no instructions. 

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:05:18 PM by mrambo4 »

jplut

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 07:19:39 AM »

Mrambo,

You don't say what year your CVO is, assuming it's a 2015, you can download the instructions for almost every accessory HD sells from their website directly.  Here's the page for the chrome 4 point kit:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/4-point-docking-hardware-kit-pa-01-52300131--1

Click on the "more info" tab.

Anyway, here's are pictures of some chrome hardware that I took for reference at the dealership on Sunday.  Mine is a little different.  Check for washers that were installed, that shouldn't be, and I recommend walking through the instructions.  The black mount point also has an orientation for "tighter" and "looser".

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:21:32 AM by jplut »

jplut

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 07:20:37 AM »

Rear docking point.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 24 queries.