Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: FXR2,3,4 shocks--substitute.  (Read 21632 times)

RedFXR2

FXR2,3,4 shocks--substitute.
« on: January 11, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »

This is just in case another CVO FXR owner ever needs to replace their shocks.

I have a 1999 FXR2. The stock shocks are Fox brand, HD part number 54578-94. These are obsolete from HD and no longer available from any dealer--I've checked.

The FXR3 uses the same shocks and the FXR4 used a Fox shock (I believe the same mechanically as the FXR2 and 3 shocks) but with chrome upper and lower spring caps.  The FXR4 part number is 54638-99.  (There's only one single FXR4 shock left at a HD dealer, Conrad's, in Illinois).

Mine have about 21K miles on them and seemed to be losing their damping ability, so I looked for replacements. I really wanted more Fox shocks just for the CVO-issue factor but ideally, I wanted the Fox shocks to have chrome spring caps top and bottom since the stock ones were polished aluminum. So I kept searching.

I found that HD part number 54728-01, a lowering suspension kit for Sportsters, contained two Fox shocks with chrome spring caps. The shocks measure 12 1/2" between eye centers. My originals were 12". The only apparent difference is the coil spring--the originals used a spring with fewer coils of a larger member diameter, the Sportster kit uses more coils of a smaller member diameter. Also, the eye bushings in the Sportster kit were thicker (wider between the mounts).

These kits (54728-01) are obsolete from HD but widely available from dealers.  However, they are also found on ebay routinely for way less than the $449 HD MSRP. I bought mine brand new in the box for $111 total.

The bushings are easily swapped from the originals to the new.

The ride is much improved. The Sportster kit shocks are stiffer, I suspect the springs, so I had to loosen up the pre-load considerably as compard to the setting I used on the originals, but damping is far better.  Resultant ride quality is very good.  Not plush, mind you, but I want the bike to handle.

The extra 1/2" in length is mostly moot due to the angle involved.  The extra length is greatly reduced to the point of negligibility.

Just thought I'd throw this out as another alternative for FXR shocks--especially CVO FXR's which all used Fox shocks from the factory.  This is a way to keep the stock CVO cosmetics with a new replacement.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:10:44 AM by RedFXR2 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: FXR2 shocks--substitute.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »

I have a 1999 FXR2. The stock shocks are Fox brand, HD part number 54578-94. These are obsolete from HD and no longer available from any dealer--I've checked.

The FXR3 uses the same shocks and the FXR4 used a Fox shock with chrome upper and lower spring caps.  The FXR4 part number is 54638-99.  (There's only one single FXR4 shock left at a HD dealer, Conrad's, in Illinois).

Mine have about 21K miles on them and seemed to be losing their damping ability, so I looked for replacements. I really wanted more Fox shocks just for the CVO-issue factor but ideally, I wanted the Fox shocks to have chrome spring caps top and bottom since the stock ones were polished aluminum. So I kept searching.

I found that HD part number 54728-01, a lowering suspension kit for Sportsters, contained two Fox shocks with chrome spring caps. The shocks measure 12 1/2" between eye centers. My originals were 12". The only apparent difference is the coil spring--the originals used a spring with fewer coils of a larger member diameter, the Sportster kit uses more coils of a smaller member diameter. Also, the eye bushings in the Sportster kit were thicker (wider between the mounts).

These kits (54728-01) are obsolete from HD but widely available from dealers.  However, they are also found on ebay routinely for way less than the $449 HD MSRP. I bought mine brand new in the box for $111 total.

The ride is much improved. The Sportster kit shocks are stiffer, I suspect the springs, so I had to loosen up the pre-load considerably as compard to the setting I used on the originals, but damping is far better.  Resultant ride quality is very good.  Not plush, mind you, but I want the bike to handle.

Just thought I'd throw this out as another alternative for FXR shocks--especially CVO FXR's which all used Fox shocks from the factory.  This is a way to keep the stock CVO cosmetics with a new replacement.

Are they really good shocks or something? You can always use Progressives or better yet, BiTubo's from Traxxion also! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 02:03:19 PM »

hoist, i think the point was to stick with fox for the authenticity factor
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 02:05:51 PM »

hoist, i think the point was to stick with fox for the authenticity factor

That makes sense. I just don't really think about that stuff. Only what's the best stuff I can use on my bikes! That's why I asked if the Fox shocks were any good. Why keep them if they're not? If not, put them in the garage with the original exhaust system to save for authenticity! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 02:34:35 PM »

Are they really good shocks or something? You can always use Progressives or better yet, BiTubo's from Traxxion also! ;)

Hoist! 8)

A valid point.  I looked at Progressives but they were $429.  BiTubos have that exterior resovoir that I don't like the looks of and they're also quite expensive.  Fox Racing has made high performance shocks for competition applications for years, and still do for off-road bikes and cars/trucks.  Yes, they're very good.  They no longer make these street shocks, however.

But as has been noticed, I also wanted very much to stay with at least CVO-issue look as much as possible.

Along that note, I recently had a new front wheel built using a new FXR2 hub (billet but not chrome, so I had it chromed), stainless spokes and a new HD FXR2 rim.  I could have gotten a complete aftermarket wheel for the same money but it would have looked different in shape and structure.  Just the nature of my obsession. :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »

A valid point.  I looked at Progressives but they were $429.  BiTubos have that exterior resovoir that I don't like the looks of and they're also quite expensive.  Fox Racing has made high performance shocks for competition applications for years, and still do for off-road bikes and cars/trucks.  Yes, they're very good.  They no longer make these street shocks, however.

But as has been noticed, I also wanted very much to stay with at least CVO-issue look as much as possible.

Along that note, I recently had a new front wheel built using a new FXR2 hub (billet but not chrome, so I had it chromed), stainless spokes and a new HD FXR2 rim.  I could have gotten a complete aftermarket wheel for the same money but it would have looked different in shape and structure.  Just the nature of my obsession. :nixweiss:

Thanks for the info Red! I know of Fox for their off-road shocks, so they must make decent street bike shock too. Gotta be better than those junk Showa shocks HD uses for everything else.

Interesting how I never really thought about what it takes to keep your SEFXR "stock",since some of the performance items could've become obsolete. Great info you provide for those looking to keep to the originality of these bikes. :2vrolijk_21:

Like I said, I never care about that. Just performance. ;)

Hoist! 8)

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »

Gotta be better than those junk Showa shocks HD uses for everything else.

Oh yeah.  Much better.

Interesting how I never really thought about what it takes to keep your SEFXR "stock",since some of the performance items could've become obsolete. Great info you provide for those looking to keep to the originality of these bikes. :2vrolijk_21:

Well, I left "stock" a good while back but I do try to keep to the theme of how would the CVO do the FXR nowadays, with SE stuff, and all.  Sometimes I think it would be fun to have a plain bike and go crazy with aftermarket stuff.  Bad for the budget but it could be a blast.

Like I said, I never care about that. Just performance. ;)

Hoist! 8)

I Understand.  Haul some a$$ for me, will you? ;D

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 03:02:53 PM »

:jack: red you gonna be in the valley this fall?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 03:06:58 PM »

:jack: red you gonna be in the valley this fall?

Doubtful, but it won't be because I don't want to.

FXR4NUT

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »

Good stuff RedFXR2

Either yourself or 103thunder gave me a tip (cc-customcycle in Chariton, IA) for a 1999 "arresting red" FXR2 for sale- the price is a bit high but it has 1600 miles on it - it looks mint. Hey a dealer here in Canada has a brand new/out-of-the-crate tangerine FXR4 for sale. It part of their collection,  and they're prepared to sell it for 26 gs!

I currently have a screaming yellow FXR4 which is in mint condition; however  I prefer FXR2s I think they look awsome, especially the "arresting red" ones - they are pretty scarce.

I contacted cc-customcycle yesterday and waiting for them to call me back. I would probably offer my FXR4 as trade in if they're amenable to that.

Is your FXR2 in its orginal colour?

RedFXR2

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »

Is your FXR2 in its orginal colour?

Yep.  "Arresting Red".

RedFXR2

Re: FXR2,3,4 shocks--substitute.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 10:59:41 AM »

I'm giving this thread a "bump" since the subject of shocks for FXR3's has come up.  Maybe it will be of use.

elvislee

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »

The FXR3 uses the same shocks and the FXR4 used a Fox shock (I believe the same mechanically as the FXR2 and 3 shocks) but with chrome upper and lower spring caps.  The FXR4 part number is 54638-99.  (There's only one single FXR4 shock left at a HD dealer, Conrad's, in Illinois).

The extra 1/2" in length is mostly moot due to the angle involved.  The extra length is greatly reduced to the point of negligibility.

Mike, found these shocks and want your opinion as to if they seem to be the same as on your Fxr2 and the 3's ( I know the 4's are chrome collars) but are the 2/3's like these. The guy says they are NOS and he don't have the part number as he does not have the original box. He says they are 12" eye to eye and the bushing (Stud mounting) holes are 1/2". Just want your opinion if I'm on to something here or not...Thanks...Blaine...Oh, he wants $150.00 + $15.00 3 day shipping....Bet ya thought you'd never see this thread show up top again huh  ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:13:59 PM by elvislee »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 10:56:47 PM »

Blaine, what are you gonna do with those ?  You already have FOX shocks on your Yellow FXR4 ??

Gonna be hard to beat those shocks .... jus sayin'

How many miles you got on your bike ?

I'd guess you need 50K to wear them out .....

Now the front end is a different story ..... IMHO
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

elvislee

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 11:09:36 PM »

Blaine, what are you gonna do with those ?  You already have FOX shocks on your Yellow FXR4 ??

Gonna be hard to beat those shocks .... jus sayin'

How many miles you got on your bike ?

I'd guess you need 50K to wear them out .....

Now the front end is a different story ..... IMHO

Well Mikey, I'll tell ya  ;D When I bought my bike a bit over two years ago the rear shock collar on my bike was peeling chrome bad. Never could get it replaced because our 2/3/4 Fox shocks are obsolete. So, I am gonna buy these that I have been searchin for two years now and put them on the 4 and have no more peeling chrome on my shock collar. Now, these shocks are the shocks for the 2/3 because they are not chrome, only the 4 had the chrome shocks where as the 2/3 are some sort of polished aluminum or something. But, I don't care, I'm replacing them and putting my chrome ones in the box with the 10,100 miles thats on them and I'll save them for a rainy day and maybe get the collar that is peeling re-chromed and can still ride when I can...BOTTOM LINE....NO MORE PEELING CROME; If I can't ride then at least when I look at her, my Sarah, she will be purty  :2vrolijk_21: ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:11:40 PM by elvislee »

RedFXR2

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 09:25:15 AM »

Mike, found these shocks and want your opinion as to if they seem to be the same as on your Fxr2 and the 3's ( I know the 4's are chrome collars) but are the 2/3's like these.

Yes, those appear to be stock FXR2/3 shocks.  Notice they have 9 visible coils.  The ones I discussed above at the start of this thread for Sportsters have 11 visible coils, but of a slightly smaller wire diameter. 

He says they are 12" eye to eye and the bushing (Stud mounting) holes are 1/2".

The 12" from eye to eye would be the correct stock length for a FXR2.  I presume the length would have been the same for FXR3/s and your 4, but I can't swear to it.

Just want your opinion if I'm on to something here or not...Thanks...Blaine...Oh, he wants $150.00 + $15.00 3 day shipping...

I read your reason for replacing yours--peeling chrome.  On the one hand, $150 for new Fox shocks is a good price (if they are in fact never used, NOS), but if you want chrome shock caps, you should consider what I did in the first thread--looking for the chrome Fox shocks for Sportsters.  I haven't shopped for them in a while, but at the time there were numerous sets on ebay for less than $150 and you get the chrome look of your originals.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:37:12 AM by RedFXR2 »

elvislee

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 09:34:22 AM »

Hey Mike, thanks for your input and yes I considered the Sportster shocks as you discussed. Ya know, it's not so much having the chrome as it is just having a CLEAN look. If I can get rid of the peeling chrome, still have the stock/clean look by using these I'm looking at then I think I am going with these and like I said just at some point have my cap on my chrome ones rechromed and box em up for a later day. If Mikey is correct; my stock chromes only have 10k so that would leave 40k left on em (plenty left) and I'll just keep them for backup...Thanks for your help man...Blaine
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:35:54 AM by elvislee »

RedFXR2

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »

at some point have my cap on my chrome ones rechromed and box em up for a later day. If Mikey is correct; my stock chromes only have 10k so that would leave 40k left on em (plenty left) and I'll just keep them for backup...

A couple of things:  Before I went looking for new shocks, I intended to have the end caps on mine chromed, but there's no obvious way to dismantle them without damage.  Maybe you can figure out how to take the caps off and then re-assemble them without ruining the shocks but I couldn't.

Also, I'd be surprised if you get 50K out of  set of shocks.  My whole adventure on shocks began when mine seemed to be bouncy at 21K.  They had definitely lost some damping ability.  The difference was especially obvious when I installed the new shocks.  Now, I have no idea what shape your originals are in at 10K but I would think they would not yet be as soft as mine were at 21K, so you may be right about having life left in them.  But now we're back to the re-chroming thing.

If you do figure out how to dismantle them, be sure to post some photos.  I'd like to know how.

elvislee

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 10:12:09 AM »

A couple of things:  Before I went looking for new shocks, I intended to have the end caps on mine chromed, but there's no obvious way to dismantle them without damage.  Maybe you can figure out how to take the caps off and then re-assemble them without ruining the shocks but I couldn't.Also, I'd be surprised if you get 50K out of  set of shocks.  My whole adventure on shocks began when mine seemed to be bouncy at 21K.  They had definitely lost some damping ability.  The difference was especially obvious when I installed the new shocks.  Now, I have no idea what shape your originals are in at 10K but I would think they would not yet be as soft as mine were at 21K, so you may be right about having life left in them.  But now we're back to the re-chroming thing.

If you do figure out how to dismantle them, be sure to post some photos.  I'd like to know how.

Well Mike...I' pretty damn sure if you didn't figure it out then You could most likely bet the wifee, house, and kids that I won't. Seriously I had just hoped it could be done but with your experience here I guess I may have problems in that area. Maybe take them and find a place that can dismantel them. Might better I do a bit more homework huh. ;D So, if it comes to the point if there is no rechome in the equation then my choices fall to 1. Buying these I'm looking at and no chrome but have stock 2/3/ shocks 2. Go the Sportster route and have chrome not stock (Unless these look like our stock with the grooved top caps) 3. Keep looking for a set of Fox chrome like my stock...................uummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Have ta let ya know....Thanks man  :2vrolijk_21:

elvislee

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »

The 12" from eye to eye would be the correct stock length for a FXR2.  I presume the length would have been the same for FXR3/s and your 4, but I can't swear to it.

Yes, the 2/3/4 are all stock at 12"

RedFXR2

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »

2. Go the Sportster route and have chrome not stock (Unless these look like our stock with the grooved top caps)

With the the exception of the number of visible coils of the springs and the wire diameter of the spring material, the are the same Fox shocks (caps, anyway) as stock.  These are on ebay right now, although at $380 they're not the bargain I found last year.  Could just be patient and see if any show up cheaper.

I would also mention that even if you can dismantle your shocks, it will cost something to have them chromed.  You might factor that cost into your decision.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__Genuine-Harley-Chrome-Profile-Rear-Shocks-Fox-54728-01_W0QQitemZ150314401546QQadiZ2863QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item150314401546&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:23:17 AM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »

More ebay:  At $310, this is better than the first set I found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harley-Davidson-PROFILE-LOW-REAR-SUSPENSION--54728-01_W0QQitemZ330278630476QQcmdZViewItem

Even better on recent (Date: 2009-01-18) craigslist ad: Says they’re brand new in the box-$150

http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/997753931.html

elvislee

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 10:46:34 AM »

With the the exception of the number of visible coils of the springs and the wire diameter of the spring material, the are the same Fox shocks (caps, anyway) as stock.  These are on ebay right now, although at $380 they're not the bargain I found last year.  Could just be patient and see if any show up cheaper.

I would also mention that even if you can dismantle your shocks, it will cost something to have them chromed.  You might factor that cost into your decision.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__Genuine-Harley-Chrome-Profile-Rear-Shocks-Fox-54728-01_W0QQitemZ150314401546QQadiZ2863QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item150314401546&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Ok..the Sportster shocks do look like ours as you say (except for spring count) I'll look around some more at these and see if I can find at the $150 range..Thanks Mike  :2vrolijk_21:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 07:28:26 PM »

A couple of things:  Before I went looking for new shocks, I intended to have the end caps on mine chromed, but there's no obvious way to dismantle them without damage.  Maybe you can figure out how to take the caps off and then re-assemble them without ruining the shocks but I couldn't.

Also, I'd be surprised if you get 50K out of  set of shocks.  My whole adventure on shocks began when mine seemed to be bouncy at 21K.  They had definitely lost some damping ability.  The difference was especially obvious when I installed the new shocks.  Now, I have no idea what shape your originals are in at 10K but I would think they would not yet be as soft as mine were at 21K, so you may be right about having life left in them.  But now we're back to the re-chroming thing.

I'm just stating my experiences .... not trying to start anything

I have over 27K miles on my stock rear shocks on my FXR4.  It is my current opinion, based on past experiences with riding skooters for the past 35 years, that I still have 15+ thousand miles of life in those shocks.

Now, having said that  ... I do set the pre-load on the heavy side, because I like to have the bike STICK in the twisties and high speed connering.  I VERY RARELY set the pre-load on a 'soft' setting.  I have no idea if that has anything to do with the longevity of the shock or not.

Also, having said that .... Do I think that I would be able to tell a difference in the ride, and MAYBE, the handling if I installed new Progressive 440's   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:
Sure, I bet I'd notice a difference.  However, having said that .... I do not feel that my ride or bike handling is compromised by the shocks that are on the bike today with 27K miles on them....... could be better, SURE, necessary, not at this time in my opinion.....
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

elvislee

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 10:29:17 PM »

I'm just stating my experiences .... not trying to start anything
I have over 27K miles on my stock rear shocks on my FXR4.  It is my current opinion, based on past experiences with riding skooters for the past 35 years, that I still have 15+ thousand miles of life in those shocks.

Now, having said that  ... I do set the pre-load on the heavy side, because I like to have the bike STICK in the twisties and high speed connering.  I VERY RARELY set the pre-load on a 'soft' setting.  I have no idea if that has anything to do with the longevity of the shock or not.

Also, having said that .... Do I think that I would be able to tell a difference in the ride, and MAYBE, the handling if I installed new Progressive 440's   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:
Sure, I bet I'd notice a difference.  However, having said that .... I do not feel that my ride or bike handling is compromised by the shocks that are on the bike today with 27K miles on them....... could be better, SURE, necessary, not at this time in my opinion.....

No worries here Mikey...It don't matter to me anyway. If I get 50,40,30k. As much as I ride my bike I might could get 50k out of em. My main deal is to just get rid of the friggin peeling chrome on that one right rear shock of mine and figuring how to do it when our shock are obsolete. Mike (RedFxr2) as usual submits excellent info and reasoning in these discussions and helped me realize some things I hadn't thought of. My intentions were to find chrome stock Fox Fxr4 shocks to replace mine with; the chances of that happening after searching for a bit over 2 years seems to be nil. So, to go with the chrome Sportster style shocks like he got or to get the stock not chromed Fxr2/3 shocks I can get now if I want. As I said the chrome is not that much of an issue as is the clean look of the shock I choose. My thinking now is to go Sportswear chrome Fox not stock but the look of stock shock or the stock not chrome 2/3 shock...Got two days to decide...Let ya know then  :2vrolijk_21:

elvislee

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »

Well..... I don't need to decide anymore; just ordered these and I'm happy with my choice  :2vrolijk_21:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 12:05:22 AM »

Well..... I don't need to decide anymore; just ordered these and I'm happy with my choice  :2vrolijk_21:

I'm happy with my choice  :2vrolijk_21:

That right there is the ONLY THING THAT COUNTS !!!

Congrats to you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 12:24:07 AM »

Blaine....

Have you made a decision on those shocks.....they look just like mine on my FXR2.....you should be able to go through the FXR2, FXR3, and FXR4 photo THREAD and verify blowing up any photo that will give you a better idea of the 2's and 3's shocks.....but they certainly look right to me.....and yes I believe our shocks are 12".

Do shocks get old "laying" around in a box....I mean do they have seals that can dry up?  I don't know, just askin....

They look great.....Blaine if you don't want them lol.....maybe I would be interested....I am glad you found them however...2 years is a lot of hunting!

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:35:05 AM by FXR2evo99 »

elvislee

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 12:40:56 AM »

Blaine....

Have you made a decision on those shocks.....they look just like mine on my FXR2.....you should be able to go through the FXR2, FXR3, and FXR4 photo THREAD and verify blowing up any photo that will give you a better idea of the 2's and 3's shocks.....but they certainly look right to me.....and yes I believe our shocks are 12".

Do shocks get old "laying" around in a box....I mean do they have seals that can dry up?  I don't know, just askin....

They look great.....Blaine if you don't want them lol.....maybe I would be interested....I am glad you found them however...2 years is a lot of hunting!

Regards,

Tim

Thanks Tim....Called the guy tonight and he's sending them out tomorrow. These are the ones I was tellin you about on the phone the other day.

Yes, all our shocks on the 2/3/4 are 12"

Don't know if they dry up layin around or not...ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :nixweiss:  ;D

Look forward to gettin em and getting the peeling one off  :2vrolijk_21:

Gotta figure out how to do that now. The SM is not to helpful. Looked at the bike tonight and getting the bottom bolts off will be no problem but gotta figure how to get the top mount bolts out/off. Just glanced at it so will look more carfully tomorrow  :2vrolijk_21:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 12:56:34 AM »

Thanks Tim....Called the guy tonight and he's sending them out tomorrow. These are the ones I was tellin you about on the phone the other day.

Yes, all our shocks on the 2/3/4 are 12"

Don't know if they dry up layin around or not...ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :nixweiss:  ;D

Look forward to gettin em and getting the peeling one off  :2vrolijk_21:

Gotta figure out how to do that now. The SM is not to helpful. Looked at the bike tonight and getting the bottom bolts off will be no problem but gotta figure how to get the top mount bolts out/off. Just glanced at it so will look more carfully tomorrow  :2vrolijk_21:

Blaine ... that's NO PROBLEM .... you'll see the nut on the outside of the shock ... you put a wrench on the nut on the inside of the fender, put a wrechet on the nut on the shock and take it off.  You'll be able to pull the bolt right out .... 

You'll have a HARDER time putting it back on !!!  I've had mine off twice, getting that dayum nut on inside the fender is a beoutch .... well, I put an oversized tire on mine, so it's even tighter !!

nutin to it man .... CALL ME if you need help !!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 10:31:28 AM »

How do you adjust our shocks??  I can't get the collars to budget on mine.  Are ya supposed to use a spanner wrench of some kind? :nixweiss:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 11:03:32 AM »

How do you adjust our shocks??  I can't get the collars to budget on mine.  Are ya supposed to use a spanner wrench of some kind? :nixweiss:

On the FXR4 you should be able to turn the top collar with your hands.  It usually takes both hands for me.
I usually put 4 or 5 drops of gun barrel oil on the top of that lip about every 8-10 washes

I had one of them freeze up on me .....  get an adjustable belt strap wrench, rubber one, you can find them at sears

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?vName=Tools&keyword=strap+wrench&sLevel=0

This one cost more, however you can put a LOT MORE TORQUE on it than the rubber ones. You MIGHT get it loose with the rubber wrench, but you MIGHT have to have this
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00977167000P?vName=Tools

You should be able to break it free with that .... call me if you want to discuss it in more detail .... eight 0 three, 466, eight 1 one 8

Let us know how you make out ...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:06:49 AM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 11:49:30 AM »

Thanks, Mikey!  I won't have the bike out of storage for a few more weeks, but I'll let you know how I make out then.  Never thought of a strap wrench - duh!  Thanks for the tip!

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 02:31:22 PM »

Glad I could help out !!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

RedFXR2

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 10:54:20 AM »

One of mine wouldn't budge until I sprayed WD-40 under the top collar around the spring end.  No worries since.

RedFXR2

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 11:01:42 AM »

How long someone's shocks may last can vary greatly depending on a lot of things.  Mikey, I don't doubt that yours seem fine to you.  They may well be.  Perhaps mine on my 1999 "2" were just plain older than yours on your 2000 "4".  That's one possibility.  I do think that mechanical devices with moving parts and any seals for lubricants or gases have a shelf life or can suffer from atrophy.  You mention that you keep yours on a fairly stiff preload.  I run mine about mid-way or so on the adjustment.  Certainly a stiffer preload would mask damping ability--if the shock is harder to compress in the first place, it won't compress or rebound nearly as much.  Maybe mine, using a middle of the road pre-load, revealed a lack of controlled compression and rebound more readily. :nixweiss:  All I know is that about 21K I could tell the shocks were going away, and the new ones have a much more controlled compression and rebound without using a lot of pre-load.  I'm not making a blanket statement about shock life.  But I would still be surprised if one gets 50K out of a pair without any degradation in performance. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:40:33 AM by RedFXR2 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 01:05:23 PM »

Oh I totally agree with you Mike.

I did not mean to imply that they were 'like new'.... for sure there is an on going degradation in performance over time.

It's a matter of the individual's riding experience, and that particular set of shocks to determine when they need/will replace their shocks.

I don't know for a fact that I'll go to 50K on mine, but at 27K I'm not replacing them yet either.  Do they perform like new, no, do they perform like some other after market new shocks would if I put them on now, no, would I see a difference in handling and ride comfort if I put new shocks on the bike now, YES.  Am I going to replace them now, no. 

:D
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

RedFXR2

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 02:33:48 PM »

I don't know for a fact that I'll go to 50K on mine, but at 27K I'm not replacing them yet either.  Do they perform like new, no, do they perform like some other after market new shocks would if I put them on now, no, would I see a difference in handling and ride comfort if I put new shocks on the bike now, YES.  Am I going to replace them now, no

:D

I'm not sure this is a "yes" or "no" question.....
 :huepfenlol2:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »

I don't think it is  :nixweiss:

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

cabntmkr

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 11:05:47 AM »

"The bushings are easily swapped from the originals to the new."

Could anyone elaborate any on exactly what is involved with changing out the bushings.

SkrmnChicken

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 07:29:47 PM »

Bump....
I have a leaking shock on my FXR4 &
am looking for seasoned advice here.
Progressive 412's?... others?
A couple of 54728-01 's on E bay...
pretty reasonably priced...do they deteriorate
on the shelf???
Thanks in advance for your help.
RESPECT
Jerry

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2010, 12:23:32 AM »

Well as for length of time on the shelf, I asked that question some tme ago as noted above, lol.......

I believe when my shocks fail I will opt for progressive 440s over the 412's.

Regards,

Tim

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010, 11:32:39 AM »

I have ..... don't know 'eggzactly' and I'm not going to the garrage to look, but about 45K - 46K miles on my FXR4
still running the OEM shocks on it ..... WHEN the time comes that I feel that the shocks are shot, I'll be putting on the Progressive 440's

unless something else better comes along between now and then 

:2vrolijk_21:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2011, 09:04:04 PM »

Hi,
Do you know what the 12" versus 12.5" length does to the FXR saddlebags?
Ride Safe,
Robert
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2000 FLTRSEI Triple Red (Gone but not forgotten)
2018 BMW R1200RT

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2012, 06:07:43 AM »

We will see if this old horse is still kicking ?
My stock shocks are locked up looks like screwed all the way in or down to look at threads, I have tryed strap wreanch whats next heat ?

Thanks Ohiophil

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »

I have ..... don't know 'eggzactly' and I'm not going to the garrage to look, but about 45K - 46K miles on my FXR4
still running the OEM shocks on it ..... WHEN the time comes that I feel that the shocks are shot, I'll be putting on the Progressive 440's

unless something else better comes along between now and then 

:2vrolijk_21:

Bitubo shocks work well on my wifes FXR4...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »

I tried to order Bitubo with the reserviors from Traxxion for my FXR4 but they told me they would not fit.I ended buying YSS shocks.  What is the model or part number?
Thanks
Ltank

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2012, 07:54:49 PM »

Ok I got one loose after spraying with PB blaster, and then a hammer and 2x4 he he.......  then the new strap wrench did it's thing, the left one is soaking over night

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »

I tried to order Bitubo with the reserviors from Traxxion for my FXR4 but they told me they would not fit.I ended buying YSS shocks.  What is the model or part number?
Thanks
Ltank

BIT-S-HD330 - Purchased from Traxxion...  (I didn't tell them what I was using them on.)  Best of me recollection, they bolted on.  I don't recall a need for spacers, but I can check and see if I used any...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »

Man I got it now both rear shocks working, just a little heat - hammer and strap wrench, can't Wait to go for a ride just need the rain to stop.  :bananarock:

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »

Ok all good and working have put about 40 miles on, 10 miles 2up' and I'm ready for spring !!!!

Daskoff

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »

HI I am new here. I know this thread is a bit dated but it is relevant to me.  I just purchased a 2000 FXR4 (Screaming Chicken Yellow) and the shocks to me seem to be bottoming out rather quickly.  Now my other bike is a 2011 FLTP with air springs (can you say Cadillac ride!?) so this adjustable shock thing is new to me.  I am 6'4"/220 lbs and when I go over a small bump/dip the rear end bottoms out.  The shocks are stock with 24k miles.  It looks like the shocks adjuster is a little over three lines down from the top.  SO help me understand how this works.  The more you tighten the top (i.e. you can see more lines) the more the shock is preloaded so in essence a harder ride but can bottom out quicker?  The more loosen the softer the ride, with a less tendency to bottom out?  Is this how it works? 

Maybe I have worn shocks as well.  But I would like to stay with the stock shocks and read on one of these boards that these shocks can be rebuilt?  Has anyone done this?  If so, how did it work out, who did it and about how much was it?  Can the characteristics of the shock be changed during the rebuild - like beefing it up for a heavier rider?

Originally I bought this bike to put a S&S 124" fuel injected engine I had from an old abandoned project but now that I've ridden it for a few weeks I really like the engine in it.  I also think that if I swap out the stock engine, the bike might take a value hit.  Any thoughts on that?

I've included a pic of my two rides (don't mind the finger in the picture).

Thanks,

Adrian

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 25 queries.