Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adjusting the handlebars on the Red 2000  (Read 1922 times)

kravmaga

• Junior CVO Member
Adjusting the handlebars on the Red 2000
« on: November 17, 2010, 10:42:06 AM »

Did a hard 130 mile ride last nite at 80 mph on the new Triple Red, and it was a cool 42 degrees.

I had the handlebars replaced with new Santee Z style bars, however, they were adjusted to far forward.

Is there an "easy" or quick way to get to the handlebar clamps to pull the bars back, or do I need to pull the fairing and everything else.

Thanks
KM
Dr. Gary

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Adjusting the handlebars on the Red 2000
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »

Did a hard 130 mile ride last nite at 80 mph on the new Triple Red, and it was a cool 42 degrees.

I had the handlebars replaced with new Santee Z style bars, however, they were adjusted to far forward.

Is there an "easy" or quick way to get to the handlebar clamps to pull the bars back, or do I need to pull the fairing and everything else.

Thanks
KM
Dr. Gary

Unnecessary to touch the fairing at all.  Just need to split the instrument nacelle.  Once the two halves are separated you'll see the handlebar clamp.  Be prepared or have an extra pair of hands with you.  When you loosen the clamp enough to move the bars it's easy to have loosened the clamp enough that the bars just fall on their own.  So hold them up or have someone hold them so nothing falls forward on things you don't want fallen on.

kravmaga

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:57:05 PM »

Hey Two Lane:

Thanx for the reply.

Is splitting the nacelle in the riders manual, or can you give me some quick directions?  I haven't secured a full RG manual yet.

Also, I'm down in Joplin a bit being in Nevada.  Or, give me a yell and drop down 55 miles to Nevada.

I am working a huge TNA wrestling show in Joplin in Feb.  Let me know if you want tickets.

Thanks
2 bb
dr. g

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »

Hey Two Lane:

Thanx for the reply.

Is splitting the nacelle in the riders manual, or can you give me some quick directions?  I haven't secured a full RG manual yet.

Also, I'm down in Joplin a bit being in Nevada.  Or, give me a yell and drop down 55 miles to Nevada.

I am working a huge TNA wrestling show in Joplin in Feb.  Let me know if you want tickets.

Thanks
2 bb
dr. g

Definitely want tickets.  That would be outstanding.  Thanks very much!

I'm up your way with some regularity also.  We'll definitely have to get the bikes together.

Opening up the nacelle isn't a big chore.  But your hands will need to learn the feel of one thing the first time you do it.

Three pieces.  The top cover over the speedo and tach come off first.  You'll see two screws.  One on each side and close to the top.  Once the screws are out don't expect the top cover to just fall off.  The part has lips top and bottom that catch in the two halves of the lower nacelle.  

Once the screws are out locate the dividing line of the two halves of the lower section just below the top of the instrument housing (i.e, as if you're reaching over the top of the instruments).  Squeeze those two halves "in" toward the instruments.  Top will start to pop away from the lower sections.  Once free at the top the bottom will cantilever up and the instrument housing pull away from the lower sections.  Instruments and their harnesses will still be attached but there's plenty of wire to lay everything out of the way.

At this point you have a choice.  In fact it's a choice that might already be made for you.

You'll see the top handlebar clamp once the instruments are out of the way.  The bottom two bolts are partially obstructed by the nacelle halves.  Many Dremel away a bit of the nacelle to clearance for those bolts.  The area you'd grind away is covered by the instrument housing.  If another shop changed your bars they might have already done this.  If so use the space they've created.

If they didn't you'll have the choice of creating that clearance or spreading the halves of the lower nacelle.  It's easy if you choose to.  You'll see two nuts below the handlebars on each side.  Turn the bars so you can get at those nuts (each way).  Once they're off the two body pieces will spread apart.

There is a "feel" to the reassembly of the instrument housing as well.  Hook it in the bottom and use your fingers to then push the top down inside the section of the lower nacelle halves that it hooks to.  Turn it over and eyeball the bottom of the instrument cluster before snapping it back in place.  Seeing what goes where will inform your fingers of where to push.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:11:07 PM by Twolanerider »

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 02:55:45 PM »

Definitely want tickets.  That would be outstanding.  Thanks very much!

I'm up your way with some regularity also.  We'll definitely have to get the bikes together.

Opening up the nacelle isn't a big chore.  But your hands will need to learn the feel of one thing the first time you do it.

Three pieces.  The top cover over the speedo and tach come off first.  You'll see two screws.  One on each side and close to the top.  Once the screws are out don't expect the top cover to just fall off.  The part has lips top and bottom that catch in the two halves of the lower nacelle. 

Once the screws are out locate the dividing line of the two halves of the lower section just below the top of the instrument housing (i.e, as if you're reaching over the top of the instruments).  Squeeze those two halves "in" toward the instruments.  Top will start to pop away from the lower sections.  Once free at the top the bottom will cantilever up and the instrument housing pull away from the lower sections.  Instruments and their harnesses will still be attached but there's plenty of wire to lay everything out of the way.

At this point you have a choice.  In fact it's a choice that might already be made for you.

You'll see the top handlebar clamp once the instruments are out of the way.  The bottom two bolts are partially obstructed by the nacelle halves.  Many Dremel away a bit of the nacelle to clearance for those bolts.  The area you'd grind away is covered by the instrument housing.  If another shop changed your bars they might have already done this.  If so use the space they've created.

If they didn't you'll have the choice of creating that clearance or spreading the halves of the lower nacelle.  It's easy if you choose to.  You'll see two nuts below the handlebars on each side.  Turn the bars so you can get at those nuts (each way).  Once they're off the two body pieces will spread apart.

There is a "feel" to the reassembly of the instrument housing as well.  Hook it in the bottom and use your fingers to then push the top down inside the section of the lower nacelle halves that it hooks to.  Turn it over and eyeball the bottom of the instrument cluster before snapping it back in place.  Seeing what goes where will inform your fingers of where to push.
Your a good man Don  :2vrolijk_21:  If i ever need to land a plane I am calling you to talk me down   :drink: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »

Your a good man Don  :2vrolijk_21:  If i ever need to land a plane I am calling you to talk me down   :drink: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Nothing bigger than a piston twin.  But we'll be better off if it's just an RC toy with controllers in one hand and beer in the other :drink: .

kravmaga

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:32:32 AM »

Thanx for the help.  It took me longer to find the tools than to adjust the bars.  Pulled them back nearly 3". 

Again, I appreciate the quick replies.

Dr. g

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:48:18 AM »

Thanx for the help.  It took me longer to find the tools than to adjust the bars.  Pulled them back nearly 3". 

Again, I appreciate the quick replies.

Dr. g

Good deals.  Had the guy who installed the bars cut notches?  More importantly is the new position going to be a good feel?

kravmaga

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 09:50:33 AM »

Actually, I didn't need to notch the glass.  I untightened the top two bolts, and the bars moved easily. Locked them back in place, and done.  Should be good to go.  Now, get the tallboy seat, and drop my floorboards, and I can stretch out.

Thanx again for the help.

Dr. g

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.