Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 16818 times)

jpswino

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 Ultra Violet Street Glide with Lava Flames
    • CVO2: Backyard Choppers
Heated Grips
« on: October 31, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »

Never even thought of such a thing on a motorcycle until I got this 2015 CVO SG.
I guess this is not part of the SG? Or am I just blind to how it operates?
Somebody inform the chopper guy about this luxury please.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »

For $37K the SESG should have heated grips but they don't.  Either put on the Harley brand or Heat Demons.   Neither are an easy install.   Make sure you like the bars before going with heated grips.   No use doing it twice.

skyking650

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »

I agree!  and actually, if you look at the specs in the HD catalog, it states that the CVO SG has heated grips and passenger floorboards, but the bikes come with neither!  It appears that the HD marketing team copied the text from the SERG specs and put them on the SESG page.  I had to buy both already.
"Just Lucky To Be Here"

2015 HD CVO Street Glide
2005 HD CVO V-Rod
A few fast cars and an old airplane!

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE / Traded
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 07:27:30 PM »

They do not come on the Road Glide Custom either, only on the Road Glide Ultra.

jpswino

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 Ultra Violet Street Glide with Lava Flames
    • CVO2: Backyard Choppers
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 07:37:53 PM »

I agree!  and actually, if you look at the specs in the HD catalog, it states that the CVO SG has heated grips and passenger floorboards, but the bikes come with neither!  It appears that the HD marketing team copied the text from the SERG specs and put them on the SESG page.  I had to buy both already.

Okay, that's where the confusion is !!!! I keep reading that I have heated grips but for the life of me could not see or find how they operated. I don't feel quite as dumb now........... ;D

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 09:18:03 PM »

HD Heated Grip failure is very common. After two or three sets, most folks go with the Heat Demons. I prefer the Heat Demons as I can choose the grips I like. And once installed, I can change grips if I want to.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

phantomxrt

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Streetglide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 09:30:11 PM »

True that.
I've owned 4 Harleys that had OEM Harley-Davidson heated grips now since 2004.
NOT ONE of those heated grip sets lasted beyond a few months. Not one.
I love this brand and its history, and I love the product, but I can't help the feeling that sometimes WE are the ones being taken for a ride...

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
    • CVO3: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 06:28:02 AM »

I thought Harley had finally sorted this problem.!,,, I know many had problems with these heated grips from years up to 2011, as they had more returns than sales and even the hd parts guys weren't recommending them!!

Anyone got issues with them from model years 2011 onwards?

I am thinking of having them on my new streetglide, but one things for sure I can't stand the 2015 "triangular" shaped "cheese grater " grips they don't even match the floorboards.
No if I have them I will put on last years heated slipstream grips, they match better and are a lot more comfy.
Ride free brothers!

Ticitme

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Dark Slate/Black Diamond
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 08:01:10 AM »

I put a set of the rumble collection grips on my 2012 when i purchased the bike and they still worked great when I traded it on my 2015.  I also added the new matching heated grips to this bike

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »

I must be an exception.  Have had HD heated grips on the last three ultras (first ones I installed myself last two came stock) and have had no problems.  Current 2013 CVO ultra has 15k miles and almost two years old still working fine.  Just luck I guess.

I thought Harley had finally sorted this problem.!,,, I know many had problems with these heated grips from years up to 2011, as they had more returns than sales and even the hd parts guys weren't recommending them!!

Anyone got issues with them from model years 2011 onwards?

I am thinking of having them on my new streetglide, but one things for sure I can't stand the 2015 "triangular" shaped "cheese grater " grips they don't even match the floorboards.
No if I have them I will put on last years heated slipstream grips, they match better and are a lot more comfy.
Do it now!

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
    • CVO3: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »

yup

sounds like they sorted it from model years 2012 onwards, unless others know different.
Ride free brothers!

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »

I bought a pair of Heat Demons but never put them on. I gave them to a friend, who still hasn't put them on either.

Apparently there would be some reaming needed on my Chubbys 575 bars that I didn't want to do, and I didn't want to to go into the bars again anyway.

I use Gerbing heated gloves when needed... but these days if it's cold enough to needed heated gear, it's too cold for me to enjoy the ride anyway.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »

I bought a pair of Heat Demons but never put them on. I gave them to a friend, who still hasn't put them on either.

Apparently there would be some reaming needed on my Chubbys 575 bars that I didn't want to do, and I didn't want to to go into the bars again anyway.

I use Gerbing heated gloves when needed... but these days if it's cold enough to needed heated gear, it's too cold for me to enjoy the ride anyway.

Ken
What he said!

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »

When I was getting my accessories put on at the dealer before I picked up my ride I asked and wanted heated grips installed. The stealer did everything they could to talk me out of it. Telling me how bad the Harley heated grips are. I guess I would have been in there for repairs/replacements more than the sound system....lol. They did. I wear Gerbing heated gloves now. They are not so bad and do keep you warm. I remember that back in 2011 there was a member here that got a CVO SG WITH heated grips factory installed. I think if I remember they where put on by accident at the CVO plant in York, P.A.

chipsabiker

• CVO1: 2015 Street Glide Blue/Lava
    • CVO2: 2009 Road Glide Orange (sold)
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 09:42:31 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what type of heated harley grips are you guys installing? All of the ones in Harley's catalog say, " not for internally wired handlebars". If you want the CVO internally wired grips like whats on the SERG, get ready to pay up. My dealer quoted some ridiculous price. Each grip was priced individually. I think it was like $350 or so for the right and $ 150 or so for the left. They also did not seem very confident that they could be installed on the SESG. They said something about different bar diameters. Anybody know if it can be done?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.