Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 16822 times)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »

Oh ya...my Heat Demons quite working today......don't know why yet.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 10:24:43 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what type of heated harley grips are you guys installing? All of the ones in Harley's catalog say, " not for internally wired handlebars". If you want the CVO internally wired grips like whats on the SERG, get ready to pay up. My dealer quoted some ridiculous price. Each grip was priced individually. I think it was like $350 or so for the right and $ 150 or so for the left. They also did not seem very confident that they could be installed on the SESG. They said something about different bar diameters. Anybody know if it can be done?

The grips have always had that note about not being wired internally, and yet Harley has been wiring them internally on CVO's since 2006.  And they are the same grips as those in the catalog.

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:26:29 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ticitme

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Dark Slate/Black Diamond
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what type of heated harley grips are you guys installing? All of the ones in Harley's catalog say, " not for internally wired handlebars". If you want the CVO internally wired grips like whats on the SERG, get ready to pay up. My dealer quoted some ridiculous price. Each grip was priced individually. I think it was like $350 or so for the right and $ 150 or so for the left. They also did not seem very confident that they could be installed on the SESG. They said something about different bar diameters. Anybody know if it can be done?

I ordered the parts from the 2015 CVO Ultra for my new CVO Street Glide. THey plug right in. All the wiring for them is on the bike. Harley even put the correct connectors on the bike to make them plug and play. They are a bit on the spendy side, but work well and are internally wired. Most of the HD heated grips are made so you can only run the wires externally.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »

Oh ya...my Heat Demons quite working today......don't know why yet.

When I first installed my heat demons they would not work due to a defective left heater. The controller would not light up or anything. The left grip has an electronic component glued to the inside of it. I was getting power to this component but not through it. I called Heat Demons and was told that it was a fuse that would blow if things got too hot. In other words some type of "heat fuse"? Heat Demons replaced the defective heater and all is well.......for now.

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
    • CVO3: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »

I ordered the parts from the 2015 CVO Ultra for my new CVO Street Glide. THey plug right in. All the wiring for them is on the bike. Harley even put the correct connectors on the bike to make them plug and play. They are a bit on the spendy side, but work well and are internally wired. Most of the HD heated grips are made so you can only run the wires externally.

Are you saying the new 2015 CVO street glide has all the wiring for the heated grips already in them,just with a plug at each end, is that the case buddy?

sounds like they should have done this years ago and the labour charge should be cheaper as they do not have to go into the bars to fish wires through.
Ride free brothers!

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 05:35:28 PM »

I ordered the parts from the 2015 CVO Ultra for my new CVO Street Glide. They plug right in. All the wiring for them is on the bike. tHarley even put the correct connectors on [/color]he bike to make them plug and play.

This was NOT the case for the 2011. The wiring harness had no connections or plugs in for the heated grips or the AUX lamps. A wring harness had to be made for the AUX lamps. Then the same would have had to be done for the heated grips. Ish. If the wires and connectors where in the harness I would install the heated grips. I THINK the 2012 CVO SG did come with the plugs ready to go in the harness.

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 09:03:19 PM »

I am on my third set of HD grips on the SGSE3. Had the first set fitted at delivery, they lasted three months, second set failed and were replaced just before end of two year warranty, and now on third set which are now a year old and functioning ok.

I thought Harley had finally sorted this problem.!,,, I know many had problems with these heated grips from years up to 2011, as they had more returns than sales and even the hd parts guys weren't recommending them!!

Anyone got issues with them from model years 2011 onwards?

I am thinking of having them on my new streetglide, but one things for sure I can't stand the 2015 "triangular" shaped "cheese grater " grips they don't even match the floorboards.
No if I have them I will put on last years heated slipstream grips, they match better and are a lot more comfy.

Dave H

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 ( SESG ) Orange/Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red ( Sadly Sold )
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE3 Black
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 09:48:35 PM »

If it makes you feel any better PeterJ my wife has had 3 sets on here Honda VFR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »

I am on my third set of HD grips on the SGSE3. Had the first set fitted at delivery, they lasted three months, second set failed and were replaced just before end of two year warranty, and now on third set which are now a year old and functioning ok.

Great, hopefully this last set should last you! :nervous:

Anyone had a set of these heated grips fitted on say a 2011/12 bike and had no problems for going on 2 years?
Just want to find out the longevity of these grips, and maybe the later production grips are of a better quality I hope!! :D
Ride free brothers!

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 09:36:44 PM »

Hey "Wild Hog". Just seen you are in England. There are a few of us around.   :jalapeno: Ride safe.

Ticitme

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Dark Slate/Black Diamond
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 07:51:46 AM »

The 2015 grips still need to be threaded through the left hand bar. The power wire is by the left fork leg with the correct connector, and the right side is all wired and the correct connector is taped under the infotainment. You still have to lift the inner fairing to make the connections and to pull the left side wiring through.

The 2012 Had only the throttle sensor wiring. I had to run power to the fuse box and change the plug on the throttle sensor to make them work...

And yes My 2012 grips were never replaced. They worked as good when I traded it in as when I put them on. Most of the time I never turned them above setting 2

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 06:55:56 PM »

The 2015 grips still need to be threaded through the left hand bar. The power wire is by the left fork leg with the correct connector, and the right side is all wired and the correct connector is taped under the infotainment. You still have to lift the inner fairing to make the connections and to pull the left side wiring through.

The 2012 Had only the throttle sensor wiring. I had to run power to the fuse box and change the plug on the throttle sensor to make them work...

And yes My 2012 grips were never replaced. They worked as good when I traded it in as when I put them on. Most of the time I never turned them above setting 2

Sounds good to me, thanks for the info bud :2vrolijk_21:
Ride free brothers!

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »

Hey "Wild Hog". Just seen you are in England. There are a few of us around.   :jalapeno: Ride safe.

Yes there are a few of us in "Blighty"
What's weather like in Sussex? Cold like here probably!!
Have you retired bike for the winter or are you like me and gonna ride the winter right through ?
(Until the snow falls of course... I might be mad but I'm not stupid.) :carrot:  :jalapeno:
Ride free brothers!

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 03:58:23 AM »

Yes there are a few of us in "Blighty"
What's weather like in Sussex? Cold like here probably!!
Have you retired bike for the winter or are you like me and gonna ride the winter right through ?
(Until the snow falls of course... I might be mad but I'm not stupid.) :carrot:  :jalapeno:

Sussex is dry one day and chucking it down the next. Ride through the year but Harley only in winter if the roads are ice free and dry

Hdolfje

• Full CVO Member
  • 2021 FLTRXSE

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Black Forest & Wineberry
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE Dark Alloy/Black Denim
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Starfire Black/Atomic Red
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »

The numbers in the picture. Dealer will install them tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.