Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Paint Quality on CVO FLHXSE  (Read 6449 times)

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

Paint Quality on CVO FLHXSE
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:04:26 AM »

Sorry to be posting so many new topics, but you guys have all been so helpful. 

Please take a look at my rear fender and tell me if anybody has seen the same thing and if the dealer will do anything about it.  If you look at the symmetry of the flames on the rear fender you can tell its hand painted and they didn't do a very good job of lining things up.  3 spots to look at.  1.The centering of the 2 seat bolts.  2.The chrome strips show the paint being lopsided.  The width of the stripes at the rear thumb screw I'd way off.  I first thought I wouldn't worry about it, but after spending $40K...just saying.  Also I found a scratch behind the license plate bracket.

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

Re: Paint Quality on CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 12:05:18 AM »

Scratch behind license bracket.

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »

One more quality issue I fixed already but shouldn't have to.  Antenna wire crimped in headlight mount.

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 12:09:50 AM »

Dealer acknowledged this one already, poor fitment of outer to inner fairing and  they are chasing this one down already.  They think they may need to replaced the outer fairing because it may not have been molded right.

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 12:10:31 AM »

Paint run on tip of front fender.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 01:13:29 AM »

That is scary and disappointing to say the least. I believe all four color schemes use the same flame graphic dimensions. I can not imagine that they are not using a template that should be the same across all of the bikes. Mine has much better symmetry on the back fender. It likely all comes down to the experience of the painter. Just like all professions there will be a range from worthless to outstanding. I have read other posts of others having paint issues in previous years too, but I wonder if the recent recall regarding the hydraulic clutch ended up causing an unusual rush or something. The timing of the recall was close to the release for this year's CVO models.

That rear fender would bother me too, and the front fender paint run is not acceptable either in my opinion. Technically I am not sure if the dealer/moco has to fix it since you probably signed something similar as I did stating it was acceptable. I would think they probably will fix it though from what others have said.

As far as a scratch here and there (unless it is too deep to polish out easily) I think since you took it home already you should just fix it. I had to polish all of the upper surfaces of my bike. There were a lot of minor surface scratches that really show up on the dark blue (ultra violet blue) on my bike. I used a dual action buffer and polish and in a couple of hours it was gone and I was happy. Of course I had to wax after the polishing.

Anyway, you and a couple of others are starting to make me feel very fortunate as far as the paint. I wish you the best at getting it resolved.

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 01:27:56 AM »

I noticed a couple minor things when talking to the salesperson and he really assured me that I should tell him if I found ANY issues and they would take care of them.  Now the paint is essentially perfect finish quality on the top of the rear fender and you could just say that the offset dimensions are just a characteristic of custom paint.  I am going to call the salesman tomorrow and see what j can get done.  I have to take the bike back int at some point anyway for the front fairing so maybe while they switching out the fairing they might as well make it a whole paint set except the tank and side covers which I have not found issues with (yet).  My biggest concern with all of the issues is what else they might damage while replacing these parts or do take another approach. 

My previous bike has been in a dealership twice since I bought it.  Once at the 1000 miles service since I bought it at Sturgis in 09 and hit 1000 miles before I ever got it home and the second time was after almost 5 years when the main transmission bearing went out under warranty.  Both times I had issues.  At the 1000 mile service, they didn't put my primary plug in tight and it leaked oil all over the rear end and would have been catastrophic if I didn't pull over at a rest area and notice the plug was almost all the way out.  The second time when they replaced the bearing they crimped the rubber primary cover gasket when putting the cover back on and it leaked like crazy.  I don't really trust dealer service at this point as you can tell.  I have a business of my own changing tires and doing maintenance on mostly Harley's but pretty much any bike so I do all my own maintenance.  I bought the seven year warranty on mine but if j ever have to use it I am going to be very nervous leaving it in a dealership's hands without keeping a watchful eye.

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 01:33:14 AM »

One more thing, I'm not knocking my new dealer at all, this is the MOCO and their quality issues so far.  This dealership has been very helpful so far.  On the other hand, it makes you wonder why you pay the dealer so much in setup fees only to find some of these things when you get home.  If that paint run was on the back of the front fender I probably wouldn't have noticed but this was pretty obvious.

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 07:34:42 AM »

I have had a number of issues on mine as well (ultra violet).  all are being addressed by my dealer, but I too am pretty disappointed.  I did not look at the rear fender for the alignment of flames but I will this evening.

Ted

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 09:33:47 AM »

'Disappointing' with these issues is an understatement... Keep after your dealer for resolution.

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »

Bummer.  My mercury bike paint is damn near perfect.  For a production bike I have absolutely no complaints.  Guess I lucked out.  Whew!. Spook

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 10:20:16 AM »

When did you get yours?  Different batch maybe?

MiCrow

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AR

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »

I have the Ultraviolet and the only issues with paint are:
1. Hairline scratches I had to polish out (as another poster mentioned which is real easy to get on such a dark color - this could have just been from the dealer wiping the bike down pre-delivery or from the buffing the painter did

2. I am getting one cowbell replaced because it has a scratch in it (almost impossible to see but my dealer found it and poinred it out.

I also have a slight dent on the left bag speaker which will be replaced by my dealer.

On a positive note, the graphics are perfectly aligned and the fit of all parts is great. I am pretty anal and I always buy dark colors, I won't even let a dealer wash a new vehicle as they never know how to do it without scratching them  :-)

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 03:59:54 PM »

I reported all my finds so far to the dealer and they are running it through the service department and of course they tell me it is up to Harley if they replace or repair the parts or do nothing.  I'll update when I know more.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »

the longer you look at that fender pic... well there is more than the three things wrong !! im sure they will change it out for you, just dont be in a hurry, i lost a wheel weight and dinged the rear fender the first day i got mine and it took a lill over three months before the new fender showed up.   
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 07:21:51 PM »

I hope it works out for you, way too much money invested to "live" with it if your not happy. The fairing is wacked and I wouldn't be happy looking at the paint run on ther front fender. The graphics on the rear fender don't look terrible but its your bike, I do see exactly what you are refering to. The scratch, if not to deep can be repaired and would also drive me nuts.

When I get the call my HC is in I'll be giving it a very good once over with an extra set of eyes! I imagine the turn around time on painted parts isnt great.

Please keep us posted.

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »

My bike was the first CVO my dealer received.  I think it was sometime in mid to late August....but not sure of exact date.  If my recollection is correct it was a week or so after the unveiling.  Spook

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
    • CVO3: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 09:08:27 PM »

I can bet you the bikes unveiled at the dealer show were flawless, no paint issues on them I bet,,,strange that.

Someone at the MOCO head office needs there arse kicked big time, I don't mind doing it as I always like to help out !
Hope you get these issues sorted guys and don't take any sh*t , I know I'll be going over mine when I receive it next year before I sign anything.
Ride free brothers!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »

I found the same poor fitment on my outer fairing as well. Reported it to the dealer, but may not be back in there until spring......

mark

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »

Hope this get resolved to your satisfaction.  It would seem the MoCo is unfortunately heading back to the AMF days.  Sad this passed the factory and dealer inspection process.  For $40+k one expects perfection. 

BTW, did your dealer charge a "dealer setup fee?"  If so, how much?

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »

Including the delivery fee it was $1997.  I tried to talk them down a little but he said he had several more in line behind me if didn't want to pay it.  They did help me out saving me a few hundred bucks on accessories and the ESP, so I think I was treated pretty fairly.  Now I'll put them to the test though working through these issues.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »

I got one of the first ones, mine came in the first week of sept, it was flawless not one of the issues you show, looks to me they started to slap em together just to get them out that's pretty "F" up hope you get it all sorted out good luck Bro!
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

mark

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 06:52:33 PM »

Including the delivery fee it was $1997.  I tried to talk them down a little but he said he had several more in line behind me if didn't want to pay it.  They did help me out saving me a few hundred bucks on accessories and the ESP, so I think I was treated pretty fairly.  Now I'll put them to the test though working through these issues.

If you wanted to throw an insult their way, you ought to meet with them GM and have him explain exactly what the setup fee included...apparently it consisted of a quick spray-on detail and then a deposit of your check. 

firesam23

• Full CVO Member
  • It's only money Can't take it with you
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG HC Mercury
    • CVO2: 2011 SG Harley Custom numbered paint set candy red with skulls
    • CVO3: 2003 1200 Sportster Black/Silver
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »

My inner fairing is chipped.  Waiting for MOCO to decide when to send new part.  At least I can't ride now but still would rather have her here in my garage.  :(
It was women, it was sinnin’, it was alcohol
It was everything the bible says will make a man fall

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »

WOW......I thought when they quoted $1200 it was high considering that freight is under $500 on the HD website. everything else is pure profit.

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

Paint Quality on CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »

My dealer called me back and they said Harley should be fixing all of the issues by replacing the front and rear fender and they need me to bring the bike in to try another outer fairing just to see if it the inner or outer fairing that is not right.  So hopefully since it's supposed to be 47 on Saturday I can make the 90 mile ride over there.  As long as they don't cut into my riding time too much!

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »

great

good to hear they are going to sort it for you!
Ride free brothers!

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »

Next question is how long.  I guess I got all winter.

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »

Good to hear.....

firesam23

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 09:31:10 PM »

Glad to hear its going to be taken care of.

The dealer called me back today they are going to replace the left lower faring(deep scuff mark) the right lower fairing cap(edge of cap has no paint and stands out like a sore thumb) and the complete inner fairing(chipped) per MOCO.  Thats the good news the bad news is I have to wait longer for parts to come in.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 06:14:03 AM »

Have them get it right don't worry about how long !!!!!  you will have the bike for years.
DND

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 10:34:18 PM »

They fixed my fairing fitment problem.  Apparently the cvo has a thicker windshield that other windshields and that contributed to the problem.  They took it apart and worked on it for an hour or more and moved some wires around and some other stuff and got it to fit right.  Also, my tour pak came in.  :)

firesam23

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 12:08:34 AM »

I love the matching tour paks

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 03:59:19 AM »

Make sure firehouse that if you choose to get the luggage rack  that it's  the Cvo version.

Crikey is it me or has everyone that has just bought a streety glide has also a tour pak hot on the back of the sales order!  :)
Ride free brothers!

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 02:28:38 PM »

What do you mean by CVO version?  I got the chrome air wing luggage rack already sitting at home.

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »

Just to clarify If the air wing is what you have then thats what i would call the CVO version, as thats what was on my 2014 CVO limited, the other rack part no:53665-87 "premium tour pak rack" is what is fitted as standard on the shall we say, lesser ultra limited models.  :vrolijk_12:
Ride free brothers!

DOWNTOWN DON

• Full CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: 2012 flhxse3 Black diamond, Dark slate. (WRECKED)
    • CVO2: 2015 flhxse4 Starfire Black/Gold Dust Flames.
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 03:29:38 PM »

I had the airwing on my last tour pak, and tho it looked cool, the harley hard bottomed luggage bags that i have didn't sit on it very well.
CVO1:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2" power cores & tts mastertune, mustang super solo vintage/13" rear pillion, 7" lrs ultra elite dark tint windshield, truk lite ph7 headlight & custom dynamics signals,  color matched king tour pak.
CVO2:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2 1/4" power cores, screens, & tts mastertune, 7" lrs ultra elite/dark tint/screemin eagle scripture, fairing vents, fork baffle, matching pass boards & backrest, and a LOT more to come.

Thx and come again: "DOWNTOWN DON"

bigC

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE gone
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE sold
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »

I just picked up my SESG Hard Candy tonight. It has paint damage on both saddle bag lids. The damage is on the under side lip edge. Can't even see it unless the lids are open. Two new lids have already been ordered for me.
Maggie Valley 2016     MITM ES 2017   WV GTG 2018 
Maggie valley 2017     MITM ES 2018   WV GTG 2021
Maggie Valley 2018     MITM ES 2019   OH GTG 2022
Maggie Valley 2019
Maggie Valley 2022
Maggie Valley 2023

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 12:13:13 PM »

kiro, you are right. "Disappointing" is an understatement! Also wanted to say you're bike and especially the paint look great!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 22 queries.