Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 2015 Silver CVO Street Glide sold out from under me.....  (Read 9570 times)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
2015 Silver CVO Street Glide sold out from under me.....
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:23:01 PM »

So my local dealer got a silver FLHXSE in and I looked at it right after it came off of the truck.  It was PDId on Monday night so I said I want to see it all together.  I go there Tuesday after work to see it and I say I'll be by Wednesday to put a deposit on it....consider it sold.  So today on my lunch break, the sales manager calls and said "your bike is sold....sorry".  Granted, I should have had cash on me, but I figured it would be okay for 12 hours....I guess not!  I've bought from them and had tons of work done there....I guess loyalty is uncommon.

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
Re: 2015 Silver CVO Street Glide sold out from under me.....
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »

I've always lived by the motto all a man should need is his word and a hand shake, I guess your dealer puts a quick sale in front of a regular customer! Time for new dealer!! Good luck.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »

I guess neither one of you guys has ever worked in retail and had to deal with looky-lou's or plain old BS artists.  Plenty of people walk into dealerships, be they motorcycle, car, truck, RV, or whatever, and after wasting the peoples time walk out the door with the infamous "Hold it for me and I'll be back tomorrow to talk about a deal".  If every dealership took those comments literally, without a cash deposit in hand, there would be a lot of extra inventory sitting around.  While it would be nice if we could just use hand shakes and our word was our bond, that's not the way the modern world works.  If you see a bike, car, or whatever that you know is in limited supply and you want it, take the time to sit down and have a buyers order completed and settle on a price.  Once the order is completed and signed by the buyer and the dealership, you have some rights.  Without such a thing, you have no rights and they have every right to sell it to the next guy who walks in and is willing to make the deal today.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

firesam23

• Full CVO Member
  • It's only money Can't take it with you
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG HC Mercury
    • CVO2: 2011 SG Harley Custom numbered paint set candy red with skulls
    • CVO3: 2003 1200 Sportster Black/Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:45:50 PM »

Sorry to hear that happened to you.  Could they get you another one and work out a deal on it.  Nothing says sorry like a discount.   I'm in retail and a customer always loves a discount.  :orange:
It was women, it was sinnin’, it was alcohol
It was everything the bible says will make a man fall

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:53:11 PM »

what GROUCHY said...and thats not the last one their gona make  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 06:49:10 AM »

The guy told me that one of their "sister" stores sold it.  I just thought that the 12 hour window I had would be enough.  The sales manger and I agreed that I would be there with the deposit as soon as I got off of work.....it wasn't soon enough. 

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »

I guess neither one of you guys has ever worked in retail and had to deal with looky-lou's or plain old BS artists.  Plenty of people walk into dealerships, be they motorcycle, car, truck, RV, or whatever, and after wasting the peoples time walk out the door with the infamous "Hold it for me and I'll be back tomorrow to talk about a deal".  If every dealership took those comments literally, without a cash deposit in hand, there would be a lot of extra inventory sitting around.  While it would be nice if we could just use hand shakes and our word was our bond, that's not the way the modern world works.  If you see a bike, car, or whatever that you know is in limited supply and you want it, take the time to sit down and have a buyers order completed and settle on a price.  Once the order is completed and signed by the buyer and the dealership, you have some rights.  Without such a thing, you have no rights and they have every right to sell it to the next guy who walks in and is willing to make the deal today.

Jerry

I agree.  I do both wholesale and retail.  My wholesale deals are made on handshakes and it's been done that way in my industry for 100 years.  When it comes to retail my customers, they sling B.S. at me all day long. Nothing is sold until it's sold.  On the other hand, a good salesman will know when a customer is serious.  It's easy to lose a loyal customer if you're not loyal back to them.   

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 10:11:09 AM »

It wasn't BS.   The dealer was closing in like 15 minutes....I told him I'd be back tomorrow after work....I get to work at 5:45am, they don't open until 10:00am....by 12:30pm, the bike was sold.  The other dealer had to see if it was available to, all I'm saying is that I should have got a phone call to let me know, this way I could have given my debit card over the phone.  Either way, I lost out...

JPSTREETGLIDE

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 10:17:21 AM »

If you had no cash a deposit with a credit card is just as good.  I would have left the deposit before I left than there would be no disputing that you wanted it.  Check back in a day or two somethimes the deals fall thru when they apply for the loan.  Hopefully the salesman didnt sell it because he sold it way over MSRP which is not uncommon for these bikes
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:19:55 AM by JPROADGLIDE »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 10:55:39 AM »

My '12 was 'sold' to me on a handshake, with a trade-in price given on their knowledge of my '08 from their service experience (was down in Victoria in the JEEP). I went away to work for two weeks.....they called and a few days later and said they had a lot of interest in Ruby.....how 'bout we pick up your '08 and seal the deal?
I said sure.  When I got home Ruby was ready to roll!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 11:03:21 AM »

Nicky, I have to agree with what Jerry stated.  I know my dealers here locally very well and if I wanted a bike, I'd put money on it.  There isn't much doubt about whether you wanted it or not if you put the money down.  Words, handshakes, a wink and a nod doesn't move inventory these days. 

I would have been upset as you were but not at the dealer.  If it was a bike I really wanted, I would have been upset at me for not putting the money down right at the first......

Just something to consider on the next one that comes your way.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 11:29:38 AM »

Who was the Dealer and from what State ???? just wondering.
DND

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »

Nicky, I have to agree with what Jerry stated.  I know my dealers here locally very well and if I wanted a bike, I'd put money on it.  There isn't much doubt about whether you wanted it or not if you put the money down.  Words, handshakes, a wink and a nod doesn't move inventory these days. 

I would have been upset as you were but not at the dealer.  If it was a bike I really wanted, I would have been upset at me for not putting the money down right at the first......

Just something to consider on the next one that comes your way.

Im working on one now....I have the debit card ready.  My issue really was the fact that I've bought from this place before....all of my service work is done there.  I actually made the ductwork for their dyno and only charged them the cost of the metal and delivered it for free.  I thought it was worth something....but I should know that money always rules!  It was less then 12 hours....which they were only open 3 hours before it was sold.  These things are hot right now.

mark

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »

I imagine there are many instances in which dealers get told that...only to have potential buyers never go thru with the purchase.  Why didn't you give them a credit card # and have them put a deposit on that? 

Firehouse

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »

My dealer held mine from Monday until Saturday when I finally put my deposit down.  The difference might be that it was just allocated to them at that time and not sitting in the showroom yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 24 queries.