Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SERT or other??  (Read 2951 times)

DynaSoar

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
SERT or other??
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »

I've read a lot of threads about tuning and making the 110" breathe better to cool it off (had my own issues there). What I want to know is which tuner is the best overall? I plan on purchasing an exhaust (probably Rineharts) for now, but I may end up with cams later on. Can you adjust rev limit with the SERT? More importantly, can I adjust the SERT myself, or do I need a dyno? Or, should I go with another tuner altogether?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: SERT or other??
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:33:15 PM »

I've read a lot of threads about tuning and making the 110" breathe better to cool it off (had my own issues there). What I want to know is which tuner is the best overall? I plan on purchasing an exhaust (probably Rineharts) for now, but I may end up with cams later on. Can you adjust rev limit with the SERT? More importantly, can I adjust the SERT myself, or do I need a dyno? Or, should I go with another tuner altogether?
Lot of questions you've asked so I'll try to answer them one by one...

1. What tuner is best overall?
Answer: Are you going to be doing the install/tune yourself or will be having a dealer/shop do it? Sorry for starting with a question, but there is a reason. If you are going to be doing the install tune yourself then you will have to decide which product you feel more comfortable using. If you are going to have a dealer/shop do it then you should ask them what they recommend. Most times they will recommend what they are most proficient in using to tune your bike. If you want to get something that you don't have to have "dyno" tuned you can go for the Zippers Thundermax w/Autotune. With that product they will send you it already tuned w/a basic map according to what mods you've done at the time of purchasing that product then the bike will autotune to your bike. In the future if you add/change something then it will adjust to those changes w/o having to have the bike put on a dyno. One thing you should be aware of with the TMax/Autotune is there has been some fitament issues recently on some bikes w/the O2 sensors and Rinehart pipes.

2. Can I adjust the rev limiter w/SERT?

Answer: The rev limiter can be adjusted. If you learn the program and have the ability to hook a computer up to your bike I would think you would be able to adjust it.

3. Can I adjust the SERT myself or do I need a Dyno?

Answer: You may be able to make fine tuning adjustments, but you will get a better tune on a dyno or something that will be able to sniff your exhaust to set your AFR precisely. So in essence you will need to dyno tune your bike initially and after each mod you make.

4. Should I go w/another tuner all together?

Answer: You mention that there may be other mods coming down the road, and if it were me and I was just starting off now w/those things in mind I would more then likely go w/the Zippers Thundermax/Autotune. It's a little more expensive to start off with, but as you make more mods and save on not having the bike re-tuned/dyno'd you will break even and more then likely save money.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 02:36:19 PM »

dyna,

Yes you can adjust the rev limiter, but without a dyno or some other Air Fuel sniffer product you wont be doing yourself any favors trying to tune it by the seat of the pants.   This will also hold true for the Power Commander.

Personally I bought the Daytona Twin Tec and WegoII so that I can tune the bike myself without a dyno and any time I make changes all  Ihave to do is a bit of capture work and make changes to the map and I am good to go.

Now if your unwilling to pay a dyno then you may want to look at the Daytona Twin Tec  ECM or the Thundermax Auto Tune.   Both use Wide Band Sensors and self monitor like a car.   The only issue you may run into here is Warranty / Service when you bring the bike in.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DynaSoar

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 03:54:08 PM »

Thanks, guys. The Thundermaxx is looking good right now. Yes, I was wanting to do the install and tune myself, but it's not like I have a dyno in the kitchen. That leaves out the SERT, for sure. Another question: Is it true what I hear about having to have a tuner of some sort with an exhaust swap?

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 04:30:26 PM »

In Europe we cannot get the SERT therefore I'll probably opt for the Thundermax.   What experience does anyone have with this kit.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 04:33:33 PM »

Availability of the SERT is getting tough , HD has them on back order still .. I guess they know folks are trying to overcome the way to lean 07's
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 05:00:02 PM »

Dyna if your looking for all the power to be had you will want to get it retuned based on the exhaust change.

Smiler you may want to do some searches on the thundermax there is a lot of information already out there on the site about this or you can just bug Rhino a lot I am sure he wont mind ...

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »

Cheeers unbalanced, will do.

DynaSoar

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 12:45:01 AM »

Dyna if your looking for all the power to be had you will want to get it retuned based on the exhaust change.

I'm not so much looking for more power, just trying to keep that rear cylinder cool.  :coolblue:

Rhino

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 01:27:52 PM »

Call Zippers, invest the money and go with the Thundermax AutoTune.  I love this thing!
Rhino(nosurprisesharryonthisanswerheh?)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 10:23:54 PM »

Rhino,

No surprises, though I am interested in the story behind the guy with the pending lawsuit figure that will be good reading.   I am still waiting on Zippers to replace my 575 cam that was sent back for them to look at.  Funny over 6 months and it still hasn't appeared go figure, I guess till it does I will remain biased.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 07:54:02 AM »

I'm not so much looking for more power, just trying to keep that rear cylinder cool.  :coolblue:

Dyno,
I know this is heresy, but if you want something very simple, try the DFO Techlusion from Dobeck, the guy that invented the Dyno and founded Dynojet (power commander).  It costs about $275 and requires no splicing.  Their tech support is great, I used  it just to ask a bunch of questions regarding how to, etc. You adjust it like a carb (three simulated adjustable jets and accel. pump) and believe me, the settings in the book for our bikes is running great, power, nice plugs, good gas mileage.  No computer needed. It can easily be removed in case of warranty issues.  I did the K&N element and slip ons only.   They even have an adjustment for decel popping which I like.   Some exhaust is horrible when you let off the throttle.  We can discuss this offline if you'd lioke. 

:cherry:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

DynaSoar

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 02:22:30 PM »

I ordered the Thundermax. I read about it on Zipper's site and liked what I saw.

Rhino

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 04:25:24 PM »

I ordered the Thundermax. I read about it on Zipper's site and liked what I saw.

Now this is what I call a very well educated and researched purchase decision.....

Rhino(tmaxtotaler)

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 05:06:38 PM »

WE use the DTT system on a regular basis and have found that it is the best that we have tried thus far.  ( my opinion) There newest version that will be out soon will also auto tune the ign timing to get you the best performance, and fuel mpg. We sell or install at least 3-5 of these a week.  Have the ablity to tune your own bike to your riding style is by far a extremely safe and accurate way to tune the bike.  We have a bike that is coming back with a trailer, Now there is now good way to tune that bike with a trailer with a dyno. But With a auto tune system no worries, ride the bike and then down load the new map as it makes changes. We have use them on trikes as well as they are hard to tune with the added weight.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 25 queries.