Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: motorcycle crashbar protectors??  (Read 6914 times)

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
motorcycle crashbar protectors??
« on: April 19, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »

Has anybody try these, motorcycle crashbar protectors? good/bad?? Thank you, JC.

http://www.proguards.net

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: motorcycle crashbar protectors??
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:39:06 AM »

No personal experience or observation.

However, from one JC to another...... if you have a need and are considering something like this you might also want to consider rear crashbars.  Jusayinzall
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »

Thought about trying something like that to do the Ride Like a Pro class.  Some recommended pipe insulation or cutting pieces of pipe but not sure how well that would hold up with a 900+ lb bike scraping asphalt.  Saw some lace-up leather protectors on a web video but do not know who makes them.  I figure if doing slow speed cones and pushing your skills, sooner or later your going to lay it on its side.  One suggestion was to just remove the rear bags for training classes.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 11:23:19 AM »

I have these for front and rear, purchased for some low speed drills I was working on last year. Thankfully never had to test them in use as I never dropped the bike. They looked like they would keep the bars from getting scratched. I had to cut them to fit and used a cable tie to make certain they remained in place. Easy on/off.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »

Wish I had known about these before, thanks for the heads up. I always get this scrape:

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 12:02:55 PM »

They are a good idea, especially if you practice a lot of tight full lock turns with a hard lean. For class or practice, I do not recommend the foam pipe insulation as it just shreds off on impact. Consider instead automotive heater hose secured with duct tape or zip ties. Once again a suggestion for class or practice as those do not look good when out on on the street.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 01:05:24 PM »

They are a good idea, especially if you practice a lot of tight full lock turns with a hard lean. For class or practice, I do not recommend the foam pipe insulation as it just shreds off on impact. Consider instead automotive heater hose secured with duct tape or zip ties. Once again a suggestion for class or practice as those do not look good when out on on the street.

"And it looks like this......

Actually, Mark (Ironhorse) taught the Ride Like A Pro West Coast for years.....he knows what he's talking about.  Took the course from him......three times because I'm either a slow learner or I'm just a knucklehead.  :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 01:18:45 PM »

Actually, Mark (Ironhorse) taught the Ride Like A Pro West Coast for years.....he knows what he's talking about.  Took the course from him......three times because I'm either a slow learner or I'm just a knucklehead.  :P

Or you just wanted to become better.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 01:26:44 PM »

Ironhorse, been looking into the North Alabama class (about 1.5 hours from me).  They state you can redo the class as often as you like included in the initial price.  Is that typical or just this instructor?  I've heard one of the local HOG Chapters may sponsor a class around Middle TN.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »

I have the saddlebag guards now, just no updated picture. Thanks JCZ.     JC

No personal experience or observation.

However, from one JC to another...... if you have a need and are considering something like this you might also want to consider rear crashbars.  Jusayinzall

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 01:53:04 PM »

Ironhorse, been looking into the North Alabama class (about 1.5 hours from me).  They state you can redo the class as often as you like included in the initial price.  Is that typical or just this instructor?  I've heard one of the local HOG Chapters may sponsor a class around Middle TN.

Most likely just the same instructor. My policy was repeat once at no charge, as I am all about training and practice. Best check with the instructor though.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 03:19:34 PM »

I used heater hose with hose clamps on mine when I took the Ride Like a Pro class, removed the lowers and highway pegs too. Looked strange on a brand new CVO but I didn't care. Never needed the protection thankfully.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »

Both--------- ;D
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 03:52:17 PM »

Both--------- ;D
Mark was just being nice.  You.......well, who needs enemies with friends like you Andy.  :P

When are you headed back down to San Diego?

West Coast GTG   

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 08:24:47 PM »

I have been the mechanic for the Omaha Police Dept for 27 years and work all of the certifications for the motor officers. I made similar guards for them that bolted on using muffler clamps and had hard surface weld where the contact points were. They saved a lot of $$$$ in scraped crash bars and rear bag bars. Also made some wear bars that bolted under the foot boards to keep the edges from grinding in the corners. Those guys can ride!!!!! We used fire hose between the guards and my protectors.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 24 queries.