Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re-usable oil filter  (Read 5762 times)

stokes

Re-usable oil filter
« on: December 25, 2010, 01:26:15 PM »

I just got one of these Billet Reusable oil filters.I've seen the thread advising not to use on an S&S engine,but anybody know of a reason not to use it on a stock '97 Evo? I also ordered an E.R.T. Super Pump kit.It has replacement springs for the oil pump and an oil pressure gauge.There are 3 springs of different tension to "fine tune" the oil pressure.Thanks in advance for any insight.

TomL

Re: Re-usable oil filter
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »

Why would you want to re-use an oil filter? They aren't expensive to start and the idea is a collection point for "stuff" in the oil system that does not belong there. I would highly discourage you from using it on any motor! BTW how do "they" recommend cleaning it..the dirty filter I mean? TL

stokes

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »

Cleaning is quite easy,easier than making a special trip to a dealer to get the right filter,to me,anyway.Just remove the inner filter element and run some hot water thru it.I know I wont ever re-coup the cost,but the idea of not having to go out of my way to get a new filter every oil change is enough for me.Last time I was at the dealer,he didnt have the filter."I would highly discourage you from using it on any motor!"Any reason why? My main concern was that this filter would adversly affect the oil pressure,some research allayed that fear.The "Super pump kit" is installed and the oil pressure is fine.I had read that the Evo engines have had problems maintaining oil pressure at high temps,I believe I've experienced this,even tho I had no pressure gauge.There have been times that the heat I could feel rising from the engine ,sometimes at high speeds felt hotter than when sitting still,made me think there was a problem with the oil pressure.I at least have a gauge now,dont have to rely on an "idiot light".

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »

Is that a pure power filter? I've heard nothing but great things about them.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

stokes

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »

Its a  Pegasus.I've seen a couple of different brands,but they all look like they are the same manufacturer.Dont know about the "pure power filter" you mention,tho.Got mine from J&P Cycles.Kind of pricey,but over the years I've done many oil changes without a filter change simply because I was too lazy or the dealer didnt have the one I needed at the moment.Always figured fresh oil with an old filter is better than old oil with an old filter.That was always with metric bikes.This is my first Harley,figure I'll treat it right.

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »

Go to Wal-Mart & buy a Fram #3600 oil filter.  They're longer than stock HD but fit my '94 RK just fine.  There are three 'grades' of the filter, I buy the middle one, about $5.00.  Its rated @ 99% single pass efficency and has a bypass valve.  Never had a minutes problem.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:54:19 PM »

You can buy them more than one at a time you know...so you don't have to run out and get one every oil change.  Just sayin.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

stokes

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »

All good suggestions,thanks.But I already got the re-usable filter and the oil gauge/spring kit.I was just asking,after the fact,if anyone had any reasons not to use it.A little tweaking of the spring and my oil pressure is spot on. 10 PSI at warm idle and steady 38PSI at road speeds for the last 200 or so miles.It comes with 3 springs of different "stiffness",if I find the oil pressure gets low when the weather gets hotter,I can still go one step higher with the next spring.Heres another problem I found trying to use a "stock oil filter".A girl I work with just got an '04 Low Rider with the Twin Cam engine.I was going to show her how to do her first oil change.I go to the dealer and ask for an oil filter for the Twin Cam and one for my EVO,just in case some problem arrises with my re-usable filter.He gives me the same filter for both.When I asked about that he tells me,"nobody stocks the higher micron EVO filter anymore,its okay to use the 10 micron in both engines".I know that is not the case,I'll stick with the re-usable 25 or 30 micron re-usable,I forget offhand which it is exactly,but either is better than the 10 micron.Does it seem dealers are deliberately trying to kill the EVO?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »

All good suggestions,thanks.But I already got the re-usable filter and the oil gauge/spring kit.I was just asking,after the fact,if anyone had any reasons not to use it.A little tweaking of the spring and my oil pressure is spot on. 10 PSI at warm idle and steady 38PSI at road speeds for the last 200 or so miles.It comes with 3 springs of different "stiffness",if I find the oil pressure gets low when the weather gets hotter,I can still go one step higher with the next spring.Heres another problem I found trying to use a "stock oil filter".A girl I work with just got an '04 Low Rider with the Twin Cam engine.I was going to show her how to do her first oil change.I go to the dealer and ask for an oil filter for the Twin Cam and one for my EVO,just in case some problem arrises with my re-usable filter.He gives me the same filter for both.When I asked about that he tells me,"nobody stocks the higher micron EVO filter anymore,its okay to use the 10 micron in both engines".I know that is not the case,I'll stick with the re-usable 25 or 30 micron re-usable,I forget offhand which it is exactly,but either is better than the 10 micron.Does it seem dealers are deliberately trying to kill the EVO?

Mostly the dealers just don't want to spend money to inventory a slow moving part, so they throw out that "close enough" BS and most folks fall for it.  Do yourself a favor and buy a supply of K&N filters from one of the online places, KN-170 (black) or KN-170C (chrome) is the correct part number for an EVO.  Do a google search and you will usually find some good deals at various eBay stores.  Excellent filters, and that 17mm nut on the end is great for removal.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=KN-170C

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

stokes

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »

Hopefully,I wont be needing filters anymore.Couple hundred miles already and the oil is still clean looking,so I assume it is doing its job well.

delnel

• Full CVO Member
  • Just Enjoying Life!! Ride On
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »

I have a Pure Power and have moved it over the last 3 years from my SEEG to my SESG and love it. Take it off do a good clean and back on what would be the problem. By the way I have been in the Auto Parts Bus for 40 years and sold billions of oil filters
 ;D
Never be afraid to do something new. Remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 24 queries.