Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garage Door Opener  (Read 1632 times)

firefighter156

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
Garage Door Opener
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »

Hello all. Question about the pre-wired door openers on the CVO.  Mine will work just fine for a while and then for no reason it stops working.  It seems as though if I unplug the power source to the remote receiver, plug it back in and reprogram it, it will work for a while and then repeat the problem.  Any idea why??  Or is it something I'm doing wrong?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

2014 CVO Limited

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Garage Door Opener
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 09:05:44 AM »

Hello all. Question about the pre-wired door openers on the CVO.  Mine will work just fine for a while and then for no reason it stops working.  It seems as though if I unplug the power source to the remote receiver, plug it back in and reprogram it, it will work for a while and then repeat the problem.  Any idea why??  Or is it something I'm doing wrong?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

For some reason, your wall unit receiver and your bike transmitter are losing their sync.  Where do you have your receiver located in your garage?  Most mount theirs close to the opener in the ceiling.  The manual suggests mounting it as close to the garage door as possible.  I have mine mounted on the back wall of the garage and it works okay, but I have to be pretty close to the garage for it to work all the time.  Try changing the location of your receiver closer to the garage door and see what happens.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:11:45 PM »

To expand on what Red Devil posted, you may also want to keep the receiver as far away from the actual door opener as possible.  The instructions mentioned a 25 foot distance if I remember correctly, which can be a little hard to do with a normal sized garage, but I did move mine from near the powerhead to very near the door and off to one side shortly after installing it back in 2005, and I've had no issues in the five years since that time. 

Of course, if the receiver continues to lose sync with the transmitter you could just have a defective unit.  It should be covered under the two year factory warranty, since it came as standard equipment with the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:51:47 PM »

I have the same exact problem.  Mine is mounted on the ceiling close to the garage door opener which is my only option.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:17:26 PM »

I have the same exact problem.  Mine is mounted on the ceiling close to the garage door opener which is my only option.

Mine is right above the unit, .................sounds like a 'bad' unit  :nixweiss:
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:19:34 PM »

If they antenna for the receiver and the antenna for your car remote are interfering with each other due to proximity, that could be your problem.  A sure sign of that would be if you are also experiencing errors when using your garage remote in your car?  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »

Interference issues wouldn't cause the receiver to lose its programming though.  Would lead to intermittent loss of function.  Perhaps total loss of function if the interference were bad and consistent.  But not loss of programmed pairing between xmitter and receiver that would be cured by re-pairing the two.

If it's actually losing pairing that is corrected by reprogramming that's a hardware problem.  Transmitter or receiver; have to isolate to know for sure.  History of that behavior suggests the receiver as the more likely option though.

firefighter156

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 06:55:49 AM »

To expand on what Red Devil posted, you may also want to keep the receiver as far away from the actual door opener as possible.  The instructions mentioned a 25 foot distance if I remember correctly, which can be a little hard to do with a normal sized garage, but I did move mine from near the powerhead to very near the door and off to one side shortly after installing it back in 2005, and I've had no issues in the five years since that time. 

Of course, if the receiver continues to lose sync with the transmitter you could just have a defective unit.  It should be covered under the two year factory warranty, since it came as standard equipment with the bike.

Jerry

Thank you Jerry.  I have the room to experiment and move away to see if that helps.  If not, perhaps the transmitter is bad.  I have mine mounted on the ceiling sharing the same outlet as the transmitter.

2014 CVO Limited

firefighter156

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 06:57:53 AM »

For some reason, your wall unit receiver and your bike transmitter are losing their sync.  Where do you have your receiver located in your garage?  Most mount theirs close to the opener in the ceiling.  The manual suggests mounting it as close to the garage door as possible.  I have mine mounted on the back wall of the garage and it works okay, but I have to be pretty close to the garage for it to work all the time.  Try changing the location of your receiver closer to the garage door and see what happens.

:devil:

Thank you for the tip.  Maybe I am syncing it wrong.  Is there a right way or better way??

2014 CVO Limited

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 25 queries.