Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Change of Plans  (Read 3923 times)

hogasm

Re: Change of Plans
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 06:56:44 AM »

Did you perform a leak down test before tear down :nixweiss:

It helps to answers questions when tearing down

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 07:22:13 AM »

Did you perform a leak down test before tear down :nixweiss:

No...I did not.   Pulling the heads wasn't in the original plans. It was a late addition after I decided to go with the new cam plate and cams.  Pulled them to be resurfaced and cc'd. Didn't think about performing a leakdown. Lessoned learned.

Time to go out in the garage.  ;D

hogasm

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 06:49:41 PM »

Time to go out in the garage.  ;D

Might as well

Going to start getting chitty on us later tonight

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »

what i meant was that a bent valve will be leaky - that will cause heat and poor running - and eventually can seize a valve as the stem will be getting coated with crap from poor combustion. a bent or damaged valve may not ever hit the piston - but will cause all kinds of other trouble - its good to find it before all the other trouble.

on shovels the valve stems would get crappy and stick - making life really unfun and expensive - had those issues 3 times over the years on shovels.

to

Z10

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 06:54:39 AM »

what i meant was that a bent valve will be leaky - that will cause heat and poor running - and eventually can seize a valve as the stem will be getting coated with crap from poor combustion. a bent or damaged valve may not ever hit the piston - but will cause all kinds of other trouble - its good to find it before all the other trouble.

@timo482: This bike always had a idle that seemed to be right at the min. limit. Idle wasn't as smooth as my Evo...thought it was the nature of the beast. Must have been the bent valve. You can see where only half of the valve was contacting the valve seat. The other half is clean, no contact marks at all. Will post pics.

Thanks Jet Hot for the quick turn.  They got the pipes late Tuesday afternoon and shipped them on Friday. Wasn't expecting them till Monday. They showed up yesterday. Could be putting fire in the holes this afternoon!

Pipes loof great. Too nice to cover.  Went with the 1300 series coating inside and out.  They have two higher temp coatings but not in silver and the Burlington facility doesn't have the capability to apply them.  Have to ship part to Oklahoma CIty.

Z10

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 06:55:21 AM »

Inside

Z10

• Full CVO Member

Back In Business
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »

Bike is once again FMC (those of you in the who were aircraft maintainers in the AF should remember that acronym...Fully Mission Capable.)  Took around the neighborhood...WOW...what a difference!!! Taking it to work Wednesday.

You're right Scott....feels like a completely different bike.  :2vrolijk_21:

Z10

• Full CVO Member

Valve
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »

Here's a picture of the bent valve and a youtube video of it spinning in the drill.  Looks like it was contacting the seat only half way around.

Z10

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 09:06:21 PM »

Took the scoot to work this morning. A 35 mile commute one way with about 27 miles of that being on I-64. Very happy with the performance. Looking for a reputable local dyno jet tuner. Talked to Bob Wood, his recommendation is about 150 miles from here in Raleigh NC, Ray Price HD.  Planning on taking it there over a weekend. Currently running a tune Dyno Jet sent me.

Oil pressure while underway seems to be a tad higher. However I still have the same low reading at idle. Just off 0. Not going to worry about it unless I see a light. Looks like I need to drain a little oil. When warm the bike read full on the digital gage and slightly over full when viewing the dipstick. When I checked the oil before I left work (by hitting the button) it showed low (bottom square flashing.) By the time I got off base and at the first light I checked it again and all blocks were showing. Going to ride it again tomorrow I'm going to check it again before I leave and verify illuminated reading by pulling the stick.

Just read a number of posts where most keep their level at the half way point. Sounds like sound advice that I'm going to follow. Always get a warm reading just after shutdown. No intake misting  noted today. Inside bottom of aircleaner is still dry. Before I broke the bike out last month I was having nose bleeds, mostly in the summer. Been known to pull the aircleaner cover, clean it real well, confiscate one of my wifes panty liners and place it inside the aircleaner cover to catch the drips. Hey...it works!

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »

Took the scoot to work this morning. A 35 mile commute one way with about 27 miles of that being on I-64. Very happy with the performance. Looking for a reputable local dyno jet tuner. Talked to Bob Wood, his recommendation is about 150 miles from here in Raleigh NC, Ray Price HD.  Planning on taking it there over a weekend. Currently running a tune Dyno Jet sent me.

Oil pressure while underway seems to be a tad higher. However I still have the same low reading at idle. Just off 0. Not going to worry about it unless I see a light. Looks like I need to drain a little oil. When warm the bike read full on the digital gage and slightly over full when viewing the dipstick. When I checked the oil before I left work (by hitting the button) it showed low (bottom square flashing.) By the time I got off base and at the first light I checked it again and all blocks were showing. Going to ride it again tomorrow I'm going to check it again before I leave and verify illuminated reading by pulling the stick.

Just read a number of posts where most keep their level at the half way point. Sounds like sound advice that I'm going to follow. Always get a warm reading just after shutdown. No intake misting  noted today. Inside bottom of aircleaner is still dry. Before I broke the bike out last month I was having nose bleeds, mostly in the summer. Been known to pull the aircleaner cover, clean it real well, confiscate one of my wifes panty liners and place it inside the aircleaner cover to catch the drips. Hey...it works!

You should get a great tune from Ray Price. He has been in the racing business for a very long time. Good luck.

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 10:21:10 PM »

Hell yea Ray Price .. He was The king of the hill in Top Fuel Harley .. he knew how to get it down the track ..  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.