Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38

Author Topic: "FXR CHATTER"  (Read 118620 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: "FXR CHATTER"
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2008, 11:53:48 AM »

2) torrington inner cam bearing
3) gaskets - I have none of them YET, but I know of a thread here that lists them for me, THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for the past couple of months I've been reading and reading sections of the service manual, and it's pretty good, but missing some things for sure, as we already know this

My question is this:

Does anybody have a sequential listing of STEPS to take in order to do the build.  While the service manual gives details for various steps, it DOES NOT tell you which is the BEST sequence in which to execute the steps.

I plan to do to a couple of things here:

1) I will start a document of sequential steps to take, not the step details, but what to do and what order to do them in
2) get input to help insure the list is in the best order, and is as complete as I can make it, limited of course for these build steps
3) I will be taking pictures along the way and posting them here ....... along with all my troubles and successes along the way

fxr4mikey~~~

In reference to #2 above, there is a speciality tool you need to remove the cam bearing, the tool is around $150.00 bucks or so, this tool is made in a "Evo" format and a "Twin Cam" format as well....I have both of them, if you decide you will need the tool (unless you own one already you will NEED the tool or know someone that has one local to you) perhaps we can arrange to send you my tool for the cost of postage each way.....based upon the size of the box and weight of the box total cost could be around $30.00 max UPS ground and would take 5 days to get to you most likely.....so plan accordingly....and there is no sense sending it to you until you are 8-9 days out.

You are absolutely correct about reading "stuff" in the service manual for doing a modification like this, the service manual "thoughts" or "presentations" are based upon the logic of repair and follow a progession of such, however when you are doing a "modification" often times things are not done in the same manner.....so you really have to sit down and do a couple of things....either be prepared to sit there at each point and stop and open the book, or create your own step by step procedure, ie: try finding all of the torque numbers for each bolt that will be eventually torqued in easy to locate spots.....it could take one sometimes hours to stop, look, remember and proceed....this past summer I did a clutch basket change on my 2002 RKC, it is a 3-6 hour job at most but it took me over 40 hours to get all of the directions clearly together....I put those directions on my computer and printed them out and then I turned those directions into a PDF file and those directions have helped over 15 people across the nation do the very same thing here is a "link" to what I am talking about, simply place your curser over the address below, click, view, and read if you so desire:

3.37 Modification Gearing Instructions For 2002 -2006 Twin Cams:
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/twin-cam-88-engine-technical-discussions/125259-3-37-modification-gearing-instructions-2002-2006-twin-cams.html

So anyway.....my point is that you will find others extremely appreciative of whatever you choose to do, and you are right "photos" would be extremely beneficial, not only to others but to yourself.....a digitial camera for this process is extremely helpful most importantly to you. Just as sitting down right now organizing your thoughts and creating step by step directions in a note book that can survive your oily fingers in the shop so you are not constantly opening and closing that service manual....a computer with a digital imaging copier/scanner can be your friend as well....or KINKOS with all of the equipment and $30.00 can do wonders as well.....Tagging and bagging everything that comes off your bike is always helpful too.....not to mention a "buddy" that is willing to help through the process....it's amazing what an additional mind can do that's interested.

You might possibly give some pondering to putting in new lifters as well, I didn't see that on your list....with new cams comes new lifters at the same time depending upon the actual mileage of course that you have on your bike....and basically the manufactuerer of your lifters determines how many "flats" to turn the push rods to properly secure them from being to tight or to loose and clattering.

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 01:10:43 PM by FXR2evo99 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »

Tim ..... my reply to you is in the following two, maybe three, post.

I have to find out what's going on......every time I try to 'quote' a response and get it all typed out is says that I have exceeded the max character limit of 6K
I know I talk a lot, but not that much  :(
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2008, 05:12:03 PM »

2) torrington inner cam bearing

fxr4mikey~~~

In reference to #2 above, there is a speciality tool you need to remove the cam bearing,
I am aware that I need two tools in this regard, one to 'pull' the old bearing out, one to 'push' the new bearing in

the tool is around $150.00 bucks or so,

I was not aware of the cost YIKES

this tool is made in a "Evo" format and a "Twin Cam" format as well....

yep, knew this one too

I have both of them, if you decide you will need the tool (unless you own one already you will NEED the tool or know someone that has one local to you) perhaps we can arrange to send you my tool for the cost of postage each way.....based upon the size of the box and weight of the box total cost could be around $30.00 max UPS ground and would take 5 days to get to you most likely.....so plan accordingly....and there is no sense sending it to you until you are 8-9 days out.

Tim - First - Thanks so much for your offer to let me borrow your tools for this aspect of the job !!  I do not own these tools so I will need to find a way to accomplish this part of the build (you do think it's the right thing to do, correct ?).  I would be more than willing to pay for shipping in both directions, no problem.
I'm with you on the planning part .... I'd wait until I was about a week away from doing the bearing exchange task. If we do this, I promise to be ready to use the tools when they get here, to do the job straight away, and to return your tools to you right away.

You are absolutely correct about reading "stuff" in the service manual for doing a modification like this, the service manual "thoughts" or "presentations" are based upon the logic of repair and follow a progession of such, however when you are doing a "modification" often times things are not done in the same manner.....so you really have to sit down and do a couple of things....either be prepared to sit there at each point and stop and open the book, or create your own step by step procedure, ie: try finding all of the torque numbers for each bolt that will be eventually torqued in easy to locate spots.....it could take one sometimes hours to stop, look, remember and proceed....this past summer I did a clutch basket change on my 2002 RKC, it is a 3-6 hour job at most but it took me over 40 hours to get all of the directions clearly together....I put those directions on my computer and printed them out and then I turned those directions into a PDF file and those directions have helped over 15 people across the nation do the very same thing here is a "link" to what I am talking about, simply place your curser over the address below, click, view, and read if you so desire:

WOW, it's gonna be a big job .......
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:14:36 PM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »

....... what do you think of this idea, as a 'starting point' for building my documentation?

1) First a 'draft' of the sequential steps that I plan to execute. No details in this 'draft' just a list of major 'steps to execute'
2) Post that draft here for review and feedback. 
3) After obtaining input make adjustments/modifications to the 'draft'........ Then sit down and start to put 'details' into each of the steps.

4) After the details for each step is documented (using MS Word and create a PDF doc) print out each step, place the paper in those plastic notebook sheets, place them in order in a plastic binder. 
5) Have said binder on my bench when I start.

BTW ...  I really like your idea of getting all of the bolt torque information together in one place, torque settings and tightening patterns as well

[/color]
So anyway.....my point is that you will find others extremely appreciative of whatever you choose to do, and you are right "photos" would be extremely beneficial, not only to others but to yourself.....a digitial camera for this process is extremely helpful most importantly to you. Just as sitting down right now organizing your thoughts and creating step by step directions in a note book that can survive your oily fingers in the shop so you are not constantly opening and closing that service manual....a computer with a digital imaging copier/scanner can be your friend as well....or KINKOS with all of the equipment and $30.00 can do wonders as well.....

Tagging and bagging everything that comes off your bike is always helpful too
I plan to tag and bag almost EVERYTHING that comes off. I already have the bag/tag numbering scheme in my brain.  I plan to include that in my workbook so I won't be confused later about the numbering scheme.

.....not to mention a "buddy" that is willing to help through the process....it's amazing what an additional mind can do that's interested.
Yes, for sure, but that's a VERY SCARCE thing here for me  :(

You might possibly give some pondering to putting in new lifters as well, I didn't see that on your list....
Must have just been a slight oversight on your part, I'm sure they are listed in the list, as the very last item. I'm putting in Sifton Max Axle lifters

with new cams comes new lifters at the same time depending upon the actual mileage of course that you have on your bike....and basically the manufactuerer of your lifters determines how many "flats" to turn the push rods to properly secure them from being to tight or to loose and clattering.

I thought is was the number of threads per inch on the push rods, not the lifters, that determines how many flats you have to turn the push rods for adjustment.  Not all manufactures of push rods use the same number of threads per inch, so you need to know how many threads per inch your push rods have.  I'm putting in RIVERA ENGINEERING
TAPER-LITE ADJUSTABLE PUSHRODS - which have 40 threads per inch. ----  40 threads per inch equals .00425 inches per flat ....  24 flats = .100 inches.  This puts the adjustment right in the center of the travel of the lifter which could move as much as .200 inches

Please correct me here, aren't all of the lifters made to the same specifications regarding: Diameter, barrel height, and within a spec how much play there is in the lifer when heated up, as much as .200 inches

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:15:04 PM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2008, 05:31:23 PM »

I thought is was the number of threads per inch on the push rods, not the lifters, that determines how many flats you have to turn the push rods for adjustment.  Not all manufactures of push rods use the same number of threads per inch, so you need to know how many threads per inch your push rods have.  I'm putting in RIVERA ENGINEERING
TAPER-LITE ADJUSTABLE PUSHRODS - which have 40 threads per inch. ----  40 threads per inch equals .00425 inches per flat ....  24 flats = .100 inches.  This puts the adjustment right in the center of the travel of the lifter which could move as much as .200 inches

Please correct me here, aren't all of the lifters made to the same specifications regarding: Diameter, barrel height, and within a spec how much play there is in the lifer when heated up, as much as .200 inches

[/quote]

Not to butt into your conversation, but....

Actually, it is both the instructions with the pushrods and the instructions with the lifters you need to pay attention to. 

The pushrod instructions will tell you just what you stated - how many threads per inch they have and how much distance each revolution moves the adjuster.

The lifter instructions will tell you how much pushrod movement is needed to properly adjust to the lifter.  No - all lifters do not require the same amount of adjustment.  For example the S&S limited travel lifters required a different amount of adjustment vs. the standard S&S lifter....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:34:13 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2008, 05:36:25 PM »

Actually, it is both the instructions with the pushrods and the instructions with the lifters you need to pay attention to. 

The pushrod instructions will tell you just what you stated - how many threads per inch they have and how much distance each revolution moves the adjuster.

The lifter instructions will tell you how much pushrod movement is needed to properly adjust to the lifter.  No - all lifters do not require the same amount of adjustment.  For example the S&S limited travel lifters required a different amount of adjustment vs. the standard S&S lifter....

KEWL BEANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS for butting in and the information !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2008, 06:37:54 PM »

Sadunbar~~~

Perfectly stated.....glad you jumped in..... :2vrolijk_21: 
You stated what I failed to articulate clearly!!!!

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 01:26:28 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2008, 06:52:36 PM »

First - Thanks so much for your offer to let me borrow your tools for this aspect of the job !!  I do not own these tools so I will need to find a way to accomplish this part of the build (you do think it's the right thing to do, correct ?).  I would be more than willing to pay for shipping in both directions, no problem.
I'm with you on the planning part .... I'd wait until I was about a week away from doing the bearing exchange task. If we do this, I promise to be ready to use the tools when they get here, to do the job straight away, and to return your tools to you right away.

fxr4mikey~~~

Absolutely you should always change that bearing, which is approximately $8.00.  With this tool it's only a 20 minute job to pull out and reinstall the new bearing.....which is a Torrington B 138 bearing and of course there is only one of these.....you can find this bearing either at your local "indy" shop OR from your local bearing supplier....if you have problems finding one, I can get one here locally and throw it in the box for you....also many will debate this....but I decided to put in a "steel" replacement breather valve gear, the one I show a photo of below is a "JIMS" Breather Valve Gear W/ elongated oil hole #2337ST cost in 2005 was $67.00.

I think that everything you said above about how to document everything is well thought out and would be a great plan of attack....

Regards,

Tim

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 01:28:50 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2008, 06:00:43 PM »

Hmmmmmmm

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOO is this bad boy on his FXR4.......?

Hmmmmmmm the things we find when we are mulling around.....

:pepper:

PS: I know who it is......

Regards,

Tim

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:02:51 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2008, 06:35:57 PM »

Hmmmmmmm

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOO is this bad boy on his "BLUE JOY FXR3.......?

Hmmmmmmm the things we find when we are mulling around.....

PS: I know who it is......

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:22:26 PM by FXR2evo99 »

boss hoss bill

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2008, 07:54:25 PM »

:bananarock:

I came across this site and am glad I did, I'm happy to respond!

I have a 1987 FXLRC 10th Anniversary Model.
It still has the original paint with 45000 miles.
I've owned it for over 10 years.
It has a Ev3 cam, Vance and Hines exhaust, SE 8k rpm ignition and a Mikuni Carb. Dynos out at 75 hp and 85 torque.
I think it's one of the prettiest bikes I've owned and plan to keep it until I quit riding, (I'm 62, been riding for 45 years.)
I live in Stuart, Fla and luckily can ride year round.
Bill

RedFXR2

« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2008, 06:44:06 AM »

:bananarock:

I came across this site and am glad I did, I'm happy to respond!

I have a 1987 FXLRC 10th Anniversary Model.
It still has the original paint with 45000 miles.

Bill--welcome aboard.  Fantastic survivor of a FXR you've got there.  Interesting paint job--is that green?  Haven't seen one that color before.  I like it.  Again welcome aboard.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »

Bill....

First of all WELCOME!!!  glad you found the site, speaking of "finding" the site, how did you find it?  Curious minds always like to know....it's my "marketing" background....lol.

Next, you have a beautiful FXR, it appears to be in wonderful condition....and is a great color as well, just as Mike said above.  So 10 years ago what made you decide to purchase this bike? What's the story about your discovery of this '87 FXR?

Finally, we here at the site have been working on the "FXR HISTORY" it's another THREAD within this "FXR SECTION" it's been quite fun getting many of us to participate in it and so I have a question, when I go to 1987 the following models were listed:

87 -  FXR       Super Glide
87-   FXRS     FXRS Low Rider
87-   FXRS     FXRS Low Rider Sport Edition
87-   FXRC     FXRC Custom 750 Units Made
                            Featured First Time HD Matched The Frame Color
                            To The Color Scheme Of The Bike.  Only HD Ever
                            Sent Out With The US Flag On It (“Old Glory”)
                            This Particular Model Was Not Presented In Sale
                            Brochures.
87-   FXLR     Low Rider Custom Sold 3,221
                            Given 39mm Forks Vs 35mm Forks
                            21” Front Tire & “Laced Wheel”  16” Solid Rear Wheel
                            Tank Instruments Moved To Center Of handlebars
                            2nd Best Selling Big Twin For The Year, Behind Only
                            The Softail Custom
87-   FXRT     Sport Glide
87-   FXRP     Pursuit Glide (Police Edition)

You mention your FXR being 1987 FXLRC 10th Anniversary Model......so I am curious whether it would actually be one of the two that I posted descriptions of above or whether we have missed this particular "anniversary" model / bike entirely.....I don't see in 1987 that an "Anniversary Model" was actually produced, if you are unsure based upon the literature you have, you could always make a call to Corporate HD and provide your vin number and they will tell you the exact model.  I would really like to know this information so I can correct what is being said in the FXR HISTORY if what we have is inaccurate.....it would be interesting to know how many were made as well.....

I am also curious like Mike, what the color is actually referred to as, it's a great color in the photo.....

Please I hope you won't take "offense" to what I am asking above, I am just "focused" on providing "accurate" information within the "FXR HISTORY" THREAD and perhaps you as an '87 FXR Owner can provide some further insight into this.....

Anyway.....it's great that you have posted here, I as merely only one of the voices here indeed hope you will continue to participate....it's a great group of guys/gals here within this "clan" of FXR Owners.....

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:08:50 AM by FXR2evo99 »

boss hoss bill

« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »

Tim

I called the factory and got some interesting news. According to the vin #, my bike is listed as a vivid black color.
I have all  the fxlr eqpt, as well as the leather tank bib that says Low Rider 10th year. Maybe this was an factory/dealer accessory from that year?
Seeing as I'm the 3rd owner, I don't know if the original buyer had the tank and fenders swapped out by the dealer or had it custom painted. The reason I bought it 10 years ago, is tht I had a 1200 sportster that was too small and vibrated me to death. I had a 1974 fxe, that I liked before that, so I wanted to go back to a super glide. I also had the first year super glide in 1971, the one with the red white and blue paint and the boattail type rear fender. I guess I've always been a super glide dude! When I bought it from Petersens in Miami So. I believe they told me that this was a rare model, but the factory doesn't give any listing of a anniversary model, so who knows?

On a different note, I wonder if anyone has a part number or wants to sell a quick release windshield. Mine is the quick release with 4 rubber grommets and the two clips on top and my plexiglass is about worn out. I've been looking on EBay, but haven't seen one yet.
By the way, this is how I found this forum from when I googled fxr windshield!
Thanks
Bill

RedFXR2

« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2008, 02:11:09 PM »

Well, IMO the paint you have is a step up from vivid black, however it happened.  The pattern looks like mid-90's FXLR but using different colors.

I bet you wish you still had that 1971 boattail Super Glide.  Collector's item for sure.

I have the exact windshield you're looking for on my FXR2.  Be patient and keep watching ebay--they're out there.  Is youir plexiglass fogged or just scratched?  Scratches, to some degree, can be buffed out--sometimes, that is.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 24 queries.