Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: CVO FuelPak??? Or??  (Read 16883 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: CVO FuelPak??? Or??
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 02:26:56 PM »

I live in Toronto and we have 4 dealers here and several around here. I talked to the service managers at 3 of the 4 Toronto dealers for opinions. They ALL said the same thing without variance. The V&H Fuel Pack does not affect the warranty as they can just unplug it and make the warranty claim to H-D. They also ALL told me the SERT will cause warranty issues without question and this leaves the decision for repair to the parent company, and option I find crappy. All dealers told me the same thing, change pipes, headers, cams (they do not affect warranty and only cost a few hundred dollars), air cleaner, Fuel Pack and run the bike without thinking too hard. Changing the cams is probablly the best bang for the buck as the cams that come with the bike are too EPA freindly and lack the performance we all seek. These mods will not change the reliability of your bike and will increase everything from HP to torque significantly. Also, the SERT requires tuning much more frequently and dyno tunes every season to keep the bike running as it should. I don't know about you fellas, but I think we are almost all on the same page, it's a toy or distraction, keep it simple stupid works for me.

I'm not sure if there's a different warranty for the international bikes, but in the U.S., any modifications to the engine/exhaust system beyond stock, technically voids the warranty.   However, that being said, like Howie stated earlier, the burden is on the dealership/MoCo to prove that the modification caused the failure.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 07:49:28 PM »

Two dealers near me both state that just changing to slip ons will not void my warranty, I also mentioned about the recores 2.25" baffles only to be told that the warranty on the mufflers was gone. But slip ons alone with no other mods they sell all the time and will back the warranty. Also was told not to remove the cats. My plan only was to add the full sac 2.25 baffles and replace the headers with non cat headers 09 stock non CVO. I just want something to add some fuel to cool the engine a lot and increase the throttle response. The fuel pak just seemed like a good opion for just doing this. Have not found anything saying that the fuel pak will do anything in the closed loop mode were I do all my cruiseing.  Doc

The flaw in your plan is that V&H only provides FuelPak settings for select exhaust options with the vast majority being their own products.  What parameters the individual settings control is a closely held factory secret and you would be stuck attempting to tune your bike blindly if your mods did not mirror the ones they provide settings for.  You can check their website to see if they have done testing on your particular setup.

Good luck

Gregg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »

The flaw in your plan is that V&H only provides FuelPak settings for select exhaust options with the vast majority being their own products.  What parameters the individual settings control is a closely held factory secret and you would be stuck attempting to tune your bike blindly if your mods did not mirror the ones they provide settings for.  You can check their website to see if they have done testing on your particular setup.

Good luck

Gregg

My understanding is that this add on device only adds fuel. If it wants to add fuel in the Closed Loop Band, the O2 sensors will still maintain the AFR dictaded by the ECM in the Closed Loop mode. To me that means you're doing absolutely NOTHING in the closed loop mode! Am I understanding this correctly? Those NightRider thingies seem to do more than a FuePak, in most people's normal riding RPM range. Get the bike fixed and tuned properly, and STW!!! A good running bike and a smile on your face, beats fighting with these morons all the time, any day of the week! STF!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Spazz

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »

A couple of things to reply to your replies. Firstly, i might have said it wrong but what i meant is that when you Add a SERT, then dynotune the bike you most likely bring the relability into question because there is a big difference between fine tuning and tuning. Obviously when you do fine tuning you have a harder time keeping the fine tuning fine and thus you need to tune the bike more often. You can not persuade me otherwise because my other bike is finely tuned with tons of MODS and i know from first hand experience what this means in terms of keeping it finely tuned. Secondly. the V&H Fuel pack unplugs, so it won't affect warranty. Changing mufflers, head pipes, cams and air filter does not affect warranty at all so whoever said ANY MODS at all changes the warranty is wrong. Just look at the H-D parts book, and other than chrome it's full of upgrade parts without the double checker flags. I have never seen nor have i ever heard of any warranty issue because someone decided to change their pipes or put in a performance air cleaner; I doubt any of you have either. Looking back at the original question in this thread, the writer wanted to know opinions on the fuel pack. I never said it was the best performing upgrade out there, I simply tried to convey that along with the other things i mentioned, it was the best choice that doesn't affect warranty IMO.
Let the debate continue...........

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 02:34:30 PM »

It is my understanding that the fuel pak does nothing in closed loop, it will help in open loop some. I may be wrong but how does that help where we do most of our riding?  Thanks Doc

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 02:42:29 PM »

It is my understanding that the fuel pak does nothing in closed loop, it will help in open loop some. I may be wrong but how does that help where we do most of our riding?  Thanks Doc

I said the EXACT same thing 2 posts ago, but that's not being addressed. I still don't believe it's a viable option. Valid only to play the "let's keep the w.....ty" game! I'm not keeping my bike running at less than optimum just to fool HD about w.....ty! STF & STW!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Spazz

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »

Okay, you have convinced me and I thank you for it. I just got off the phone with the H-D parent company and they told me that if the dealer installs the SERT and it is installed correctly it will NOT affect my warranty. That being said; and what you have explained to me about the closed loop/open loop etc.... It is now a no brainer, i am installing the SSERT over the V&H fuel pack. You are the reason I joined this forum, keep up the good work and again, thank you.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 05:08:59 PM »

Another option is the TTS MasterTune, it doesn't leave any indication that it's been installed in the ECM (the SERT and SSERT do), that way, if you're on the road and some backwoods dealer denies warranty because they "see" that you have a SERT, you're covered with the TTS MasterTune.... :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 25 queries.