Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Ceramic coatings  (Read 4799 times)

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
Ceramic coatings
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:51:10 AM »

Looking to have my heat shields and muffler cans done in black over the winter. Also looking to have the ceramic coated pipe redone (showing lotta rust). I am looking for info on someone who has actually had this work done, and by who. Need to do some mods to stock shield and crossover pipe first so replacing parts is out of the question. What is this CERAMIC coating anyways. The stuff I currently have doesn't look or act any differently than stuff I used out of a rattlecan.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Ceramic coatings
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 08:04:03 AM »

We have been making this upgrade available to our  customers. What we did find out is that not all coatings are equal. In fact many of the big names out there use poor quality coatings. The company we use has to register with the government and state to get this stuff for what ever reason.

The pics you see is on one of my bikes. Head pipe inside and out on the head pipe and the heat shields ( both sides) and mufflers where also coated. I can tell you that my primary cover is hotter than the heat shields.. You can lay your leg directly on the X and not burn your self.   With the right coatings yes it makes a huge change.  Cost on coatings is by the foot from most shops. Example that job with mufflers shields and head pipe is approx 275 dollars.  Myself would pay 375 and never blink it works that well.

I ride in a large city , some of the nay sayers that live in the country never experience this traffic and heat.  So they will have another opinion on coatings.

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 02:33:01 PM »

I used PolyDynamic Coatings on the '09 SERG, reduction in perceived heat, more comfort, happy with them, wish I would have had the inner heat shields coated also.

http://www.polydyn.com/
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »

We have been making this upgrade available to our  customers. What we did find out is that not all coatings are equal. In fact many of the big names out there use poor quality coatings. The company we use has to register with the government and state to get this stuff for what ever reason.

The pics you see is on one of my bikes. Head pipe inside and out on the head pipe and the heat shields ( both sides) and mufflers where also coated. I can tell you that my primary cover is hotter than the heat shields.. You can lay your leg directly on the X and not burn your self.   With the right coatings yes it makes a huge change.  Cost on coatings is by the foot from most shops. Example that job with mufflers shields and head pipe is approx 275 dollars.  Myself would pay 375 and never blink it works that well.

I ride in a large city , some of the nay sayers that live in the country never experience this traffic and heat.  So they will have another opinion on coatings.

You could win a lot of bets on that fact!
Grab the X-Pipe and not get burnt...that is impressive

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »

GMR...I live in the east (NY) mind if I call you after I remove the pipes?

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 04:30:35 PM »

Sure thing..

As for the heat it really is crazy I would have called any one a liar if they told me that. But after coating both head pipe and the heat shields its really amazing. Now I said put my leg on there not my hand. So I do wear pants to be clear. But yes I mess with my buddys when they are trying very hard to keep their legs away from the pipe. I will put my calf right on the X portion of the pipe..  :D Now with the head pipe only coated and the chrome shield there is more heat but still no where near what its like with no coatings.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 05:24:18 PM »

You know this stuff works....just look at the space shuttle.  Ceramic plates keep it from burning up during re-entry.

My Drago header is ceramic coated also and it does make a difference.

mark

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 05:45:21 PM »

Sure thing..

As for the heat it really is crazy I would have called any one a liar if they told me that. But after coating both head pipe and the heat shields its really amazing. Now I said put my leg on there not my hand. So I do wear pants to be clear. But yes I mess with my buddys when they are trying very hard to keep their legs away from the pipe. I will put my calf right on the X portion of the pipe..  :D Now with the head pipe only coated and the chrome shield there is more heat but still no where near what its like with no coatings.

What company are you using to coat the pipes?

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 05:47:29 PM »

You know this stuff works....just look at the space shuttle.  Ceramic plates keep it from burning up during re-entry.

My Drago header is ceramic coated also and it does make a difference.

My Drago is hot. The rear bend is right below my short leg. I wonder if coating the heat shield would help that Steve?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »

I use a shop that is a closed door to public. They are doing all types of coatings, and the product that you use for the coating is the big deal. Many can get certain coatings and other have to file with the government as it is a regulated item.  :nixweiss:  This company I use is one of those. I have no idea what others use but I can tell you what ever this is , it works better than several others that I have tried. But for chrome you cannot do anything on the shield Its all or nothing. Hence my double coated pipe

PanheadJeff

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 06:40:54 PM »

I use a shop that is a closed door to public. They are doing all types of coatings, and the product that you use for the coating is the big deal. Many can get certain coatings and other have to file with the government as it is a regulated item.  :nixweiss:  This company I use is one of those. I have no idea what others use but I can tell you what ever this is , it works better than several others that I have tried. But for chrome you cannot do anything on the shield Its all or nothing. Hence my double coated pipe

Do you coat just the outside or the inside as well?

CannonBall

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 07:20:08 PM »

Sure thing..

You grabbed the X pipe with ur hand and Paul bought one from you the next day lol.

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »

before i moved to Georgia I had mine coated by Central Connecticut Coatings in East Hartford Connecticut.

both the inside and outside of the head pipe, and yes it worked great.  eliminated much (not all) of the heat both my bsr and I were feeling before the coating was done.
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »

So what we are really saying here is that besides a 113 kit I need to get coatings done. Man, you are costing me some money!

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 12:01:48 PM »

Are the Full Sac DX pipe ceramic coated?

All the ceramic coating I have seen are silver :nixweiss:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 22 queries.