Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil coming out of Carb  (Read 17597 times)

get2

• TN

Oil coming out of Carb
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:04:11 PM »

CVO has oil coming out of the carburetor ( took off air filter and the back of the filter plate is covered with oil) and continuously has smoke coming out also.  The Carburetor has a pretty good raddled.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Oil coming out of Carb
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »

What year, what model is your bike?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

wolfman

• Senior CVO Member
  • serg
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »

What's a Carburetor? LOL
SERT, V&H Power Duels, SE mufflers, Dyno-tuned , Heavy Breather, Corbin Solo , windsplitter windshield , J&M 250w amp/7.25" speakers.

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »

You don't have oil coming out the carburetor. The oil is coming from the crankcase vent hoses running to the air cleaner backing plate. This could be caused by too much oil in the engine or too much blow by the rings. A leak down check will tell you if the rings are worn. Someone will probably come along and post other reasons why this could be happening.

get2

• TN

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »

carburetor excuse me.  2011 CVO ultra

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »

carburetor excuse me.  2011 CVO ultra

Your bike is fuel injected and has no carburetor.  Oil is coming, as mentioned above, from the vents in the heads and is making a mess inside and around the air cleaner from there.  Variety of causes for this.  Hopefully yours is as simple as a little too much oil in the engine.

If it's to the full mark on the dipstick when the engine is cold it's too full.  Try running it at about a 1/2 quart low on the dipstick when the engine is cold.

Proctor

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »

How much oil do you add when you change it.  My book says add 3 1/2 to start, but according to the digital dip stick, its too much.  It flashes overfull when it gets hot.
Ported 11.1 heads, Wiseco pistons, T-mans 662-2 cams, SE 58mm T-body, SEST, V&H power duals with Hi Output, Timken bearing, welded and balanced crank .     129.62hp 127.22tq

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 04:25:22 PM »

How much oil do you add when you change it.  My book says add 3 1/2 to start, but according to the digital dip stick, its too much.  It flashes overfull when it gets hot.

It all depends on how much didn't drain out.  The capacity is 4.0 quarts, and they recommend you put in 3.5 quarts and then check and adjust the level with the dipstick.  You might want to revise that to adding 3.0 quarts to start, then after briefly running the engine to distribute the new oil and fill the filter, use the dipstick and fill until the oil level is halfway between the full and add marks.  Works great for me.

BTW, make sure you follow the entire procedure, which includes idling the bike for one or two minutes before draining the oil.  This will allow the pump to scavenge the maximum amount of oil from the engine to the tank so you can drain it.  There will always be a small amount of oil that you can't normally drain, but it should usually be 8 ounces (.25 quart) or less.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bogey

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »

I've got a 2010 Limited Ultra with 5k on it and the same persistent problem of oil leaking out under the air filter.  It is a stock 103 with a Stage I air cleaner, ECM remap and SE mufflers.  So far the dealer has changed the backing plate "o" rings 2X, the gasket once, they installed the upgraded 2011 breathers and after completing a compression and leak down test, the results of which were good,  they followed a Tech Service bulletin that required removal of both cylinder heads and drilling out the oil return passages.  Guess what, it still leaks.  Is there any hope?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »

I've got a 2010 Limited Ultra with 5k on it and the same persistent problem of oil leaking out under the air filter.  It is a stock 103 with a Stage I air cleaner, ECM remap and SE mufflers.  So far the dealer has changed the backing plate "o" rings 2X, the gasket once, they installed the upgraded 2011 breathers and after completing a compression and leak down test, the results of which were good,  they followed a Tech Service bulletin that required removal of both cylinder heads and drilling out the oil return passages.  Guess what, it still leaks.  Is there any hope?

Where do you normally run the oil level on the dipstick (hot)?  If you run it at the FULL mark, try running it halfway between ADD and FULL when hot.  In theory it shouldn't make a difference on a dry sump engine, but in practice it makes a big difference for many of us.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bogey

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 08:48:27 AM »

I should have added that I keep the oil level at about the 1/2 way mark when hot on the jiffy stand.  The dealer agrees with this, yet ever time they work on it, they overfill it slightly, so I have to suck some out.

Proctor

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 08:51:50 AM »

It all depends on how much didn't drain out.  The capacity is 4.0 quarts, and they recommend you put in 3.5 quarts and then check and adjust the level with the dipstick.  You might want to revise that to adding 3.0 quarts to start, then after briefly running the engine to distribute the new oil and fill the filter, use the dipstick and fill until the oil level is halfway between the full and add marks.  Works great for me.

BTW, make sure you follow the entire procedure, which includes idling the bike for one or two minutes before draining the oil.  This will allow the pump to scavenge the maximum amount of oil from the engine to the tank so you can drain it.  There will always be a small amount of oil that you can't normally drain, but it should usually be 8 ounces (.25 quart) or less.

Jerry

I did exactly what you said.  Got the bike warm, let it idle for a couple of min.  drained the oil, chainged the filter and added 3 quarts.  It shows full hot and 3/4 full cold on the dipstick on the jiffy stand.  I guess I can only get three qts out when I drain it.  I did have the front end lowered with the Progressive parts, so it doesn't lean over on the juffy stand like it used to.
Ported 11.1 heads, Wiseco pistons, T-mans 662-2 cams, SE 58mm T-body, SEST, V&H power duals with Hi Output, Timken bearing, welded and balanced crank .     129.62hp 127.22tq

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »

That happened to us last summer on our cross country trip. The local dealer that serviced the bike shortly before taking off over filled it by almost two quarts. By the time I got to Flagstaff there was oil coming out of everyting and all over my BSR. The bike should have not run in that condition, but did all the way to the next dealer. Fortunately the dealer documented the situation well and I got reimbursed by my local dealer for blown rocker box gaskets, air filter, clean up and diagnostic check for dry sumping. ($530.00). I imagine when the oil was changed the first time they didn't pay attention to how much was drained and just routinely added four quarts and a filter. Strange thing, when Bubba Love hooked up with us he also had a one day delay because of his rocker boxes leaking and his hydraulic clutch going out right after being serviced by his local dealer.  Doc

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 09:00:09 PM »

I have some carryover on my 08; always have since it went stage 1 at 700 miles.  It's small and I clean it out about every 800 miles or sooner just so it doesn't wet the filter excessively or drip out.  I ran 1/2 way on the stick and it didn't make any diff to running 3/4 (hot).  So I run 3/4...more oil in the motor is better, especially on hot days.
T

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:24:07 AM »

We have seen this also.
3 1/4-1/2 qts seems to do it. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.