Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deep Kentucky  (Read 3616 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Deep Kentucky
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:49:38 AM »

We went on a half day ride up in eastern Ky yesterday and we must have been way back. There seemed to be as many four wheelers on the road as cars and trucks. At least two had the whole family on board. The wife was on the back of one with the man driving with the right hand holding their one year one in his left arm. Another had the little three year old on the tank and the larger ones like the razors had as many as five in the thing. Some were doing fifty or sixty mph on the blacktop and two were doing real well staying in front of my Limited.

There was one with a dog in a crate on the front and some toting gas cans back to the house. There are no road rules this deep in  KY.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:52:48 AM by Dr.D »

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
Re: Deep Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 11:01:50 AM »

Up here in Northern Michigan, I'm starting to see more and more of them driving on the roads as daily drivers....  Especially int eh wintertime....

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:35:32 PM »

Two of my favorite places. 

Eastern KY (Pike County) and Southern WV (Mingo and Logan Counties) the four-wheelers are great big business.  You will see groups of a dozen on the road heading to one of the network of trails for a day.  Now these did not sound like tourists but the locals use them a lot too.  They have hundreds of miles of organized trails, much the same ones that we rode 40 years ago on dirt bikes.  Now you have to have a permit, lots of 4-wheelers and those little buggies.

Northern Michigan with snow mobiles relegated to only certain roads (and getting be fewer of those) the four-wheelers work very good.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »

Must be related to the environment.  Here on Coronado they all drive golf carts.....2, 4 and 6 seaters.  Saw one going down the road yesterday.....looked like a streatched limosine golf cart.  Not sure how many people were on it.  They have to have headlights, taillights, turn signals and brake lights and of course be registered with license plates.  But they have to stay here on the island....can't go over the bridge in to San Diego.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »

All locals for sure. There are NO tourist off roaring in most of those hills. It is likes the song says," went up to see the still on Rocky Top and never been seen since. Pot, shine and meth are the new cash crops and busybodies will be turned in to  dead bodies.

I think one of the Honda dealers in Middlesboro KY. has some sort of fame or record for selling so many ATVs. I do not think they are so much for entertainment as utility tools for getting around and carrying "things". I don't care about that stuff but even the other riders comment on more atvs than cars. Gotta love local flare.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 06:05:49 PM »

I do lots of work in the area. try getting around the area hauling heavy equipment. fun ride from Middlesboro across to whitesburg ky. well heck good roads everywhere in that area to ride cvos. not much fun with big trucks.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »

I do lots of work in the area. try getting around the area hauling heavy equipment. fun ride from Middlesboro across to whitesburg ky. well heck good roads everywhere in that area to ride cvos. not much fun with big trucks.

During the week the coal truck traffic can be quite dangerous. The trucks also out down road trash that can be a problem also. Never thought about the roads being problem for the truckers.?? The maze of roads up there would take a lot of riding to really explore and you might have to run some poor pavement.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 06:01:45 PM »

During the week the coal truck traffic can be quite dangerous. The trucks also out down road trash that can be a problem also. Never thought about the roads being problem for the truckers.?? The maze of roads up there would take a lot of riding to really explore and you might have to run some poor pavement.
look at little shepherds trail.  search will pull it up. the road itself is o.k. just so many more roads in the vicinity that are fun to ride on the cvo
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:07:27 PM by smkymtnboy »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 06:08:41 PM »

Spent a lot of time in Eastern Kentucky years ago when I built dies for a customer outside of London. We used to meet in some obscure little town on the side of a hill for breakfast, area known as Sextons Creek.  I can remember trying to out maneuver the coal trucks it was tough, those guys drive like they want when they want and screw the traffic.    Tough area, my wife's family are from Furnace mountain  around Irving.  Funny 30 years later after selling my business I end up running this customers Alabama plant.  You never know what the future may hold.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:07:05 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 10:50:41 PM »

Saw lots of four wheelers in South Dakota last year when we went to Sturgis and the year before in Four Corners area.  Owner of Four Corners HD said they sell more of them than motorcycles. ???
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 12:08:25 AM »

Arkansas has them everywhere and so does Mississippi. They run the 4 lane like a car.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 12:56:12 PM »

I don't think you can live in eastern Kentucky and not own one. Redneck hillbilly rule #3

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »

I don't think you can live in eastern Kentucky and not own one. Redneck hillbilly rule #3
which is worse redneck,hillbilly or rule #3

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »

which is worse redneck,hillbilly or rule #3

NONE! I am the first two and believe in #3. I am more shocked that there are no questions to the first two rules of redneck hillbillyism. :D

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 11:17:26 PM »

NONE! I am the first two and believe in #3. I am more shocked that there are no questions to the first two rules of redneck hillbillyism. :D
:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :nixweiss: :cowboy:

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.