Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did my own front brake hose recall (with pics)  (Read 2645 times)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
Did my own front brake hose recall (with pics)
« on: May 07, 2015, 03:18:35 AM »

Here is how HD left it when I pulled the tank.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

Re: Did my own front brake hose recall (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 03:25:32 AM »

You can see they left the 3rd hose out of place and I found a slight dimple in the outer casing, nothing to worry about ... I have seen much worse.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 03:29:15 AM »

Another close up of the dimple in the hose.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 03:51:46 AM »

Here's the finished pic of my fix. Before you guys bust my balls about the white zip ties, that's all I had in that size and I had to double them up & you will never see them with everything back on the bike. I used some plastic split loom to go around 2 of the upper most hoses, stuffed them under the little clip where the rear of the tank rests and tied them in 3 spots.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 04:08:25 AM »

Easy fix and didn't have to worry about some careless HD parts changer nicking or scratching something. This was also a good time to shine up the rocker covers and I used a spacer under the bracket for the coolant hoses, they were real close to the cover ... now easier to clean under them. The quick connect fitting for the fuel line was a dream to use, maybe 2 drops of gas came out when disconnecting. Some say to pull the fuse and idle the bike out of gas beforehand, but I didn't do it and no mess ... had a rag handy, but barely needed it.

Also found a couple spots where the spark plug wires were rubbing and could eventually rub through in time. I split some rubber vacuum hose open with a razor blade and wrapped the wires and used some small black zip ties for that. Now piece of mind for another diy job well done.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 07:52:09 AM »

Looks Good !!!!
DND

Jeff G

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 04:41:16 PM »

Just wondering why you would leave a brake line (hose) with a obvious rub,nick,slice or whatever you want to call it about half way thru your brake line? Were not talking about a speaker wire here,were talkin about your BRAKES. Not to mention ( I guess I am mentioning) if you have a brake failure and when Harley gets involved with a insurance claim for you or your bike or who ever you ran into and they see the home repair on a bike that was recalled I don't see it ending well for any involved. Take it to the dealer,have them sign off on the recall,double check, then triple check there work, then go for a ride and never think about it again. Be safe,not sorry.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 05:08:16 PM »

Just wondering why you would leave a brake line (hose) with a obvious rub,nick,slice or whatever you want to call it about half way thru your brake line? Were not talking about a speaker wire here,were talkin about your BRAKES. Not to mention ( I guess I am mentioning) if you have a brake failure and when Harley gets involved with a insurance claim for you or your bike or who ever you ran into and they see the home repair on a bike that was recalled I don't see it ending well for any involved. Take it to the dealer,have them sign off on the recall,double check, then triple check there work, then go for a ride and never think about it again. Be safe,not sorry.

:2vrolijk_21:

As much as I also hate to let a Harley dealership touch anything, Jeff is absolutely correct and you really should take it to the dealer.  Insist on standing there while they remove the tank and inspect the bike, then have them replace the damaged line and secure everything properly, then reinstall the tank.  If they damage anything, borrow a large wrench and beat the snot out of whoever did it.

Until a dealer submits a claim showing they performed the recall, that recall will remain open.  You will get follow-up mailings for years, and when you go to sell the bike the recall will pop up as not being completed when the VIN is checked.  If there is a failure and you crash, as Jeff noted it is very likely your failure to have the recall performed properly will be used against you.  It's more important to take care of your safety and your legal rights than it is to avoid letting your dealership touch the bike.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 11:54:47 PM »

I can not imagine why you went to the effort to repair a recall. You must change this back and let a dealer do this correctly.
Legal beagles will kill you on this if a real problem actually occurred.
Do the right and safe thing here and get it fixed correctly. IMHO.

cc.canada

• Canada
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue & Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2008 FXDSE2 Candy Cobalt with Midnight Blue
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 08:46:16 AM »

hello this should have been done the right way the  first time by the dealer it calls for two cable ties in the recall and if the brake line is damaged any where along it it must be replaced that nick will cause a leak  I would send your pictures to the dealership warranty person and have them redo the recall or go to a diffrent dealership I would be pissed about the brake line I bet they did not complete the recall if they only installed one cable tie

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 22 queries.