Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice?  (Read 45430 times)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice?
« on: July 31, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »

Should have these by the end of the week. Ordered them from Hill Country Custom Cycles who had them in stock. I had a Deuce for several years and always wanted to change to taller bars but never did.

I decided to go with taller bars after sitting on another SG a while back that had 12" bars. Wow, what a difference picking the bike up off the kickstand. I'm 5'8" and 160 lbs. As you know these bikes are pretty heavy but with 12" bars it stood up like butter.

Here are my questions:
1) Will the stock wiring on a 2011 SESG need to be extended?
** I've been told that the SE's have extended wiring.
2) Will the stock clutch and brake lines work?
** Some say yes, some say no.
3) Will I have to have the local HD shop pump down the ABS system?

I've got a "guy" (30 years HD mechanic) who will to install them for $350 cash (Labor). Local HD dealer quoted me $979 plus Tax. Just because I want to try it I'm thinking of doing it myself. If it seems to difficult my "guy" is pretty cheap.

Opinions and pictures are welcome.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
Re: Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:40:01 AM »

Please post pics as these are the bars I want. I'm not sure to the questions you ask. But those bars are nice looking. I'm worried about being able to use my stock mirrors on my 2012 SESG.

lowriderlou

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »

Please post pics as these are the bars I want. I'm not sure to the questions you ask. But those bars are nice looking. I'm worried about being able to use my stock mirrors on my 2012 SESG.

X2

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »

From my stand point let the tech install them for the $350.  I just don't like to turn wrenches or have the patenice. :)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »

I did sit a '12 Street Glide with these 12" bars. You can see out of the mirrors. Not all the way but good enough to leave them in place.

Plus the SESG's have fairing mounted mirrors. Unless you want a body shop filling the holes and repainting your inner fairing there aren't many options. If your rich Yaffe makes Bagger Chips to fill the holes either in chrome or paint ready. Heck, their only $100!!!!!

I'll suffer with the mirrors as is.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »

I did sit a '12 Street Glide with these 12" bars. You can see out of the mirrors. Not all the way but good enough to leave them in place.

Plus the SESG's have fairing mounted mirrors. Unless you want a body shop filling the holes and repainting your inner fairing there aren't many options. If your rich Yaffe makes Bagger Chips to fill the holes either in chrome or paint ready. Heck, their only $100!!!!!

Cool so you can use the stock ones. Also what did you pay for the bars?

lowriderlou

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »

Willy, did you have to change any of the cables?

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »

I just ordered the bars yesterday from Hill Country Custom Cycles ($370 + $35 shipping NO TAX).

I'm not sure of clutch and brakes lines if they need to be extended. I'm hoping someone here has that answer.

Once the bars come in I'm betting on needing to buy them. If so, I need to save up a few bucks for that. Trying to do it one step at a time since my money tree here in Missouri is suffering thru the drought.

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »

I just ordered the bars yesterday from Hill Country Custom Cycles ($370 + $35 shipping NO TAX).

I'm not sure of clutch and brakes lines if they need to be extended. I'm hoping someone here has that answer.

Once the bars come in I'm betting on needing to buy them. If so, I need to save up a few bucks for that. Trying to do it one step at a time since my money tree here in Missouri is suffering thru the drought.

I hear that. I'm buying one part at a time as well. Report back when you find out about the cables and such. Thanks

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »

you need longer clutch, brake and TBW with those bars, atleast I did on my road king. Do yourself a favor and let your friend do it for the $350. I'm curious if he is still gonna be your friend when he's done! :vrolijk_6:

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 06:22:58 PM »

you need longer clutch, brake and TBW with those bars, atleast I did on my road king. Do yourself a favor and let your friend do it for the $350. I'm curious if he is still gonna be your friend when he's done! :vrolijk_6:
The same guy installed a set of Woods 777 in my brothers 2012 Street Glide (non-cvo) for $200 Labor. Gave my brother the bug and he's now installing cnc ported heads and 10.5-1 pistons for something like $375 Labor. He has the tune for his exact setup to.

As far as if he likes doing bars..He was finishing up a set on a trike when I was there the other day. He said it's one of his more fun things to do. He said it makes him think more. Go figure!

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »

There is a local guy here that does it out of his house and is very reasonable. internal wiring sucks on those bars. I know if it were me I wouldnt do it myself, the $350 is not worth the frustration. I bought the extended wire kit and it ripped apart inside the bars causing a hell of a time to get it all apart. I would never recommend that kit to anyone. Stagger your cuts, heat shrink is way better

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »

I did 12" on my 05.  Couple of things to consider:
1.  While the bars are out, change the riser bushings to the H-D polyurethane ones (56298-03).  The instructions say to torque them to the service manual specs, but I didn't go that high as they really started to distort.
2.  There was an issue on later model bikes with the clamp bolts hitting the bottom of the radio and causing CD skipping and other shock related damage.  H-D sells replacement bolts with a thinner head to fix this issue.  They may have already addressed this with the 12's, but I don't know one way or the other.
3.  When your guy is pulling the wires through the bars, use a vacuum cleaner to first suck a piece of string with a bit of foam tied to the end through the bars to use as a fish.  Then use a generous amount of wire lube (home depot or lowes) to help the wires along their journey.

You will love these bars!

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
Re: Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice? Part 1
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »

I know people preach it all the time on the forums, but if you haven't gotten the HD service manual, I highly recommend it. I did apes on two of my riding buddies bikes, and that manual is very informative. Money very well spent. Get both of them. HD sells one for the 2010 FLHX, and a supplement for the 2010 FLHXSE. I can’t stress enough how helpful these books are. For example, the supplement addresses the hydraulic clutch, which is actually easy.
Things you'll need to have on hand:

Brake Fluid – The service manual states DOT4. Be careful, this junk can eat paint.
    Vacuum bleeder - highly encouraged. Bleeding the brakes can be time consuming otherwise.
    And of course, just regular mechanics tools, stuff needed for working on the bikes.
    An extra set of hands!
    A bike jack – this is pretty much a must have. If you’re planning to do bars, then I assume you can get further use of the jack by doing your own maintenance. I just rolled 10K on my CVO SG, so I figure I will skip the $400-$500 at Harley and do everything myself. I’ll be switching to Redline Fluids in all three holes. Let me know if you want more info on that too…

Remove the tins. All I have on my bike now are the front and rear fenders. The tank needs to come off for the ABS lines, as do the side covers. I removed everything just for good measure.

Dealing with the hydraulic clutch is really easy. First, jack up the bike. You need to be able to rotate the bars left and right, and with the bike on the jack, you can do so easily. Start off by connecting a small (I think ¼’’) vinyl tube to the bleeder valve on the transmission cover. I used a piece from Home Depot, from the plumbing section. It’s the clear tubing. So anyway, connect that hose to the bleeder valve, and loosen the valve about half –a-turn. Run the other end of the hose into a soda bottle or drainage pan. There’s not much fluid, even a soda can would do. Next, turn the bars to the right to make the reservoir on the handlebars level, and remove the master cyclinder cover. This allows the fluid to drain. Most of the fluid will drain on its own, but then you can sop up the rest with paper towels. MAKE SURE YOU COVER PAINTED SURFACES – (I actually removed everything. All that is left on the bike is the front and rear fender. Less room for error.)

The ABS lines run from the brake lever on the bars, down the spine to the ABS module on the right side of the bike. From the module, they run back up the spine, and mount to the bottom of the triple tree, then down to the calipers. You could get away with replacing only the piece from the lever to the ABS module. I am replacing all of them as to keep all the lines matching. First, you’ll need to drain the brake fluid. Then, and I haven’t gotten this far yet, but basically, you can use a vacuum bleeder to pull fluid through the first cable before you hook it to the ABS module. When the fluid is through, attach the cable to the ABS block. Then, you can attach the lines from the ABS block to the calipers, and bleed those lines as well. In theory, this should keep air from getting into the ABS module. For what it’s worth, I value my life too much to not spend $90 on an hour's labor to have my front brakes bled by the dealer. They have the digital technician that bleeds air from the ABS module. Honestly, I’ll probably have them done at the same time I have them replace the rear brake switch. Might be able to save a few bucks while it’s in there for the recall anyway.

To remove the clips from the wires at the end of the harnesses, first, look inside the end of the plug. You will see two half-oval holes in the white piece in the center of all the pins. Using small needle-nose pliers, grip the white piece and pull towards you. It will slide out about 3/16” to 1/4 “ . Now, use a paper clip and insert it into the tiny holes above each pin. This will release each pin, and can be a little tedious. On the back of the clips, the pins are numbered. The numbers are hard to see, and only the outside pins are numbered. They count consecutively across the clips.

On the CVO SG, there is a Deutsch connected that has a black and white wire, and a termination cap. I’m not sure what this pair of wires do, but they are connected to the TBW sensor. Unclip the termination cap and look inside the plug on the wires. You will see a little green clip inside the plug itself. You need to remove that green clip to get the pins out. I bent a 1/8” hook on my paperclip at 90*. Insert the paperclip, and hook it behind the center of the green plug. Give it a gentle tug, and it will come out. Then, use a small flathead screwdriver to release the pins.

If you plan to go the route of Paul Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars, or even LA Choppers PrimeApes, know that pulling the wires through is a royal pain. Do this when you have time and patience. I went with 14” PY MBB’s. I did extend my wires, but heed my advice on this…extend them after you pull them through. The stock wires are long enough to pull through. Then you can add your extensions. Otherwise all the joints and connections will not go over the upper bends. Too sharp and rough inside the bars.

First, I used a #16 chain. Really small. Available at Home Depot. The weight of the chain pulls itself through the bars. Since the chain is not smooth though, you can’t use it as a pull line. So, I attached a 3/16” vinyl coated cable to the chain, and pulled that through. This was what I used for the pull line. Also, available at Home Depot, in the same section as the chain.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

Re: Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice? Part 2
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »

On the throttle side, I pulled the lines for the TBW module through first. I did not seat the wires and module all the way. Next, and this required patience, I fished the chain through the same side, this time going through the hole for the control housing. Once it was through, I used it to fish the cable again. Then, I attached the throttle side controls to the cable, and gently began to pull the cables through. Pull is a generic term at this point. With the bend/angle at the top, you really need to push the wires through, then pull, then push, then pull. This takes time, but it does work. Once I had everything through, I seated the TBW module and switch housing.

Repeat the same process for the clutch side. Much easier than the throttle side.

Avoid if you can having to pull the wires back out after starting. Those angles are sharp, and you’ll have to pull harder than you’re comfortable doing.

I bought an extension kit from Dr. Vtwin, and it was made by Namz. It comes with heatshrink for each wire, but I get a little OCD on that stuff. I used to build ruggedized network suites for customers like the National Guard. Long story short, I learned about adhesive lined heatshrink while working on those suites. Yeah, heatshrink with glue inside, and it's a marine application. I haven't used it for this set up yet, but I bought 2 48" pieces from Amazon, .1875 (3/16"). That will prevent the wires from ever pulling apart and add some confidence in them when pulling through the bars. Just food for thought.
Sorry, it's a lot of info I just dumped on ya. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

nbomar

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 01:35:23 AM »

Ordered 10" for mine yesterday. Black monkey bars. 4-6 weeks from yaffe. I looked everywhere and no one had them in stock. (sucks) I already picked up my throttle by wire extension kit from Harley, and the poly bushings. I also bought their "chips" to fill the holes in the fairing.  Only $3 and some change for the chips. I figured I would try them and see how they look. Can't wait to get these in and start tinkering on them.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 08:36:42 AM »

Fish Eye,

Now that is some great info!!!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks for taking the time to share.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 02:13:02 PM »

Fish Eye,

Now that is some great info!!!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks for taking the time to share.

No Problem willyB!

I really like the way my bars turned out, and I've done several sets now (8 bars on 7 bikes in the last year).  My posting is from a PM that I exchanged with another member from the HDForums.  I just wanted to share it here too.

I've gotten several thousand miles now on the bars, and I think you'll be happy with them.  Every time I sit on a bike with stock bars, I feel so uncomfortable and unnatural. 

From what I've read, 10's will block mirrors.  12's and taller are good to go.

And one other thing I didn't mention.  Use some lubricant when you pull the wires, especially the throttle side (there are 20 individual wires in the heat shrink).

I used Windex, but you can also pick up conduit lube at Home Depot and the like.  It will make your life easier!

ricklong

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »

I have these bars on my 12SESG and I purchased the install kit that PYO sells with them, it included the wires, coated braided stainless clutch and brake hoses and all needed hardware including fittings.  Short answer is yes, the wires had to be extended, I had to use of the longer braided hoses and brakes & Clutch had to be bled.  As for your labor quote, its a full 8 hour job with no interruptions to do this job. thats a great price.
2012 FLHXSE3:  Reaper 274 cams, Fueling camplate, Fueling lifters, Zippers tensioners, S&S push rods, Rinehart Exreme exhaust, Roland Sands Clarity breather, Heads & Jugs diamond cut, Yaffee 12' bars, Focal audio system, C&C custom seat...etc

2013 FXSBSE:  Reaper 274 cams, Fueling camplate, Fueling lifters, Zippers tensioners, S&S push rods, VH 2 into 2 Big Radius, Heads & Jugs diamond cut, 10,25 mini apes, Legend Air ride, James Carter custom stingray seat....etc

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 09:59:28 AM »

I have these bars on my 12SESG and I purchased the install kit that PYO sells with them, it included the wires, coated braided stainless clutch and brake hoses and all needed hardware including fittings.  Short answer is yes, the wires had to be extended, I had to use of the longer braided hoses and brakes & Clutch had to be bled.  As for your labor quote, its a full 8 hour job with no interruptions to do this job. thats a great price.
Got any pictures of the completed setup?

I'm very excited to get these bars on.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 05:18:20 PM »

What a bummer! My bars just got delivered and I'm out of town until late Friday.

Can't even look at them!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

IPMC 10-9

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSEa (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary Ed.
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 08:18:10 AM »

I ordered the 12" with wire kit, bagga chips and mirrors through Yaffe and a friend was nice enough to do the install for me while I'm deployed.  Can't wait to get home to enjoy them.  He had to put the stock shield back on didn't want to mod my 6.5" klock werks to fit, will do that when I get home as well.
2013 FLTRXSE Anniversary
23" Contrast cut custom front wheel
Klock Werks Level big wheel fender
Rinehart True Duals
14" Siouxcide Choppers Machine Gun bars

IPMC 10-9

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 08:25:55 AM »

View from other side, angle makes it look a little strange and with no shield.  You can make out the bagga chip also, black w/ silver edging.  Someday need to replace that front wheel w/ a 21".
2013 FLTRXSE Anniversary
Rinehart True Duals

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 08:55:58 AM »

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

I would like to formally retract my negative comments about Paul Yaffe's Baggernation quality control.

After sending an e-mail to Baggernation I quickly received a call from Ken. Needless to say, he apologized for the QC issue and assured me that HE is the one responsible for quality control at Baggernation.

Not only did he ship a new set of bars that day, he did it based only on my e-mail. No Charging, No Shipping, No Nothing!!! He wanted me to get the right bars and was trusting me to do the right thing by sending the scratched bars back to Hill Country Custom Cycles. That my friends is a Class Act move!!!!!!

He later called me back to tell me that the folks at Hill Country never called Baggernation but instead called Drag Specialties who they bought the bars from.

Ken at Paul Yaffe Baggernation!! You have earned my respect! Problems can always happen but it's your Class Act that showed me what a company does when they truly care about their products and their customers. Trusting someone you've never met and doing so only based on the information from my e-mail, you "trusted" me with what could have simply been a ploy by some idiot to get a set of free bars from you. You showed me that when push comes to shove "good people do good things simply because they care about their fellow human beings".

THANK YOU KIND SIR! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

ORIGINAL POST
Well, my bars came in this week while I was out of town on business. I was pretty excited until my wife unwrapped them and sent me this picture.

Yep, scratched!!! Not only were they scratched but the scratch had a Black Sharpie circle around it.

Obviously I'm sending them back. I bought them from Hill Country Custom Cycle because Yaffe (aka. Baggernation) told me to call them becuase they had it in stock and their production was out 8 weeks. Great folks at Hill Country. Super friendly. Super helpful.

They were quite embarassed becuase they come in from Yaffe pre-packaged and wrapped. They checked and had no more in stock so they called the "buddy" with Yaffe if they could get a set right away because of this and NO LUCK.

Looks like Yaffe doesn't care much from quality control OR customer satisfaction!!! I guess Yaffe has so much business that they don't need to concern themselves with customer service.

Come On Paul Yaffe I expected more!

Good thing Yaffe has competition and I have a voice to point out Yaffe's service & quality! :soapbox: :nixweiss:

ps: if you're asking yourself if the scratch will be hidden behind the clutch or brake reservoir hings, the answer is no.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:59:29 PM by willyB »

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »

That sucks WillyB!

I've always heard good things of HCC's customer service.

IMHO, the wait is more than worth it.  I waited about 10 weeks for my 14's, and even then, I waited until winter to install and do a painted fairing.

Sorry to hear, but I don't think there is a better looking option out there!  Good luck.

IPMC 10-9

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 01:23:08 AM »

Sorry to hear about your bars being scratched WillyB, that really sucks.  Makes you wonder about Yaffe's business.  It's one thing if it's a missed blemish during their QA process or happended during shipping, but for it to be circled with a sharpy and still sent out, unexceptable and just bad business.  I've been deployed since mine arrived and were installed so haven't gotten to inspect mine yet, hopefully no issues.  Hope they are able to get you a replacement sooner than expected, but Yaffe's crew is probably out partying and pushing their items they don't have in stock out in Sturgis for the month. 
2013 FLTRXSE Anniversary
Rinehart True Duals

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »

Well, my bars came in this week while I was out of town on business. I was pretty excited until my wife unwrapped them and sent me this picture.

Yep, scratched!!! Not only were they scratched but the scratch had a Black Sharpie circle around it.

Obviously I'm sending them back. I bought them from Hill Country Custom Cycle because Yaffe (aka. Baggernation) told me to call them becuase they had it in stock and their production was out 8 weeks. Great folks at Hill Country. Super friendly. Super helpful.

They were quite embarassed becuase they come in from Yaffe pre-packaged and wrapped. They checked and had no more in stock so they called the "buddy" with Yaffe if they could get a set right away because of this and NO LUCK.

Looks like Yaffe doesn't care much from quality control OR customer satisfaction!!! I guess Yaffe has so much business that they don't need to concern themselves with customer service.

Good thing Yaffe has competition and I have a voice to point out Yaffe's service & quality! :soapbox: :nixweiss:

ps: if you're asking yourself if the scratch will be hidden behind the clutch or brake reservoir hings, the answer is no.

I at first really wanted these bars and emailed bagger nation one time with no response so I sent two more emails well two weeks later no response. So I called left a message and 4 days later got a call. I'm not buying anything from a company that is that bad with customer service. They may look cool but I'll take my business's to some place who actually wants it. Anyways hope you get a good set of bars before to long.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 08:43:12 AM »

Really sad that Yaffe has to give that kind of poor service.   Lots of good companies would love to have our hard earned $$ I would think.. The idea of letting those bars go with a rifle pointing to a scratch like  that is unexcusable.   I'll never buy anything from that guy..I have wild ones bars and their service and quality is second to none.. Great finish and they even answer the phone.  They need to know they aren't the only game in town when it comes to bars,,  there happen to be many others  :nixweiss:

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 09:03:04 PM »

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

I would like to formally retract my negative comments about Paul Yaffe's Baggernation quality control.

After sending an e-mail to Baggernation I quickly received a call from Ken. Needless to say, he apologized for the QC issue and assured me that HE is the one responsible for quality control at Baggernation.

Not only did he ship a new set of bars that day, he did it based only on my e-mail. No Charging, No Shipping, No Nothing!!! He wanted me to get the right bars and was trusting me to do the right thing by sending the scratched bars back to Hill Country Custom Cycles. That my friends is a Class Act move!!!!!!

He later called me back to tell me that the folks at Hill Country never called Baggernation but instead called Drag Specialties who they bought the bars from.

Ken at Paul Yaffe Baggernation!! You have earned my respect! Problems can always happen but it's your Class Act that showed me what a company does when they truly care about their products and their customers. Trusting someone you've never met and doing so only based on the information from my e-mail, you "trusted" me with what could have simply been a ploy by some idiot to get a set of free bars from you. You showed me that when push comes to shove "good people do good things simply because they care about their fellow human beings".

THANK YOU KIND SIR! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

ORIGINAL POST

Dryer

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 12:12:49 PM »

I have a braided stainless clutch hose from goodridge and brake line for abs also stainless that I was going to use but ended up not needing them for my 10" bars. They are new and never opened. I'll sell them for $120 shipped.  The clutch hose is I think is 73" and the brake line is +6 I believe.  I'll look when I get home tonight if anyone is interested

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »

I have a braided stainless clutch hose from goodridge and brake line for abs also stainless that I was going to use but ended up not needing them for my 10" bars. They are new and never opened. I'll sell them for $120 shipped.  The clutch hose is I think is 73" and the brake line is +6 I believe.  I'll look when I get home tonight if anyone is interested

I'll check the length I need. If they are the right length I'm in.

I'll let you know. Go any pictures?

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »

Replacement bars arrived today!!!!!

No scratches. All is good! :bananarock:

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »

Replacement bars arrived today!!!!!

No scratches. All is good! :bananarock:

Almost a month later. Your s better man than me :). Hope they work out for you. I love these bars and IMO they are the best looking bars. But his customer service sux

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »

Okay, I need some help!!

I'm getting ready to install the 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars on my 2011 CVO Street Glide and I need some help on hydraulic clutch and brake lines. I am planning on using Magnum Shield lines. The mid line is not in question.

*** What length of UPPER BRAKE line?
      --- The dealer is telling me 21"

*** What length of HYDRAULIC CLUTCH line?
       --- The dealer is telling me 72"

I'm also debating on whether or not to change out the two lower brake lines to Magnum Shields. Here's why. They are already braided but will not be as bright in color as the Magnum lines on the bars. But they are located far enough away not to be too noticable. Plus I can save about $170 bucks.

Thoughts?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »

i used the Magnum on my clutch side,, plus 6"  wanted to make sure i had plenty of reach,, and i did,,,  looks fine to me and i had the hd lines for everything else,,,  no one ever noticed or cared really,,
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:53:03 AM by cvostu »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 07:46:03 AM »

i used the Magnum on my clutch side,, plus 6"  wanted to make sure i had plenty of reach,, and i did,,,  looks fine to me and i had the hd lines for everything else,,,  noone ever noticed or cared really,,
Do you know the part number for the Magnum clutch side? The dealer figured the clutch side using a by using a brake line and a banjo connector.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 12:12:30 AM »

You can call Magnum Shielding yourself.   They are very easy to talk to of the phone   Whip out the ole credit card and it's on the way,,  get it in no time.   I think they are in new York.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 01:05:53 PM »

Okay, I need some help!!

I'm getting ready to install the 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars on my 2011 CVO Street Glide and I need some help on hydraulic clutch and brake lines. I am planning on using Magnum Shield lines. The mid line is not in question.

*** What length of UPPER BRAKE line?
      --- The dealer is telling me 21"

*** What length of HYDRAULIC CLUTCH line?
       --- The dealer is telling me 72"

I'm also debating on whether or not to change out the two lower brake lines to Magnum Shields. Here's why. They are already braided but will not be as bright in color as the Magnum lines on the bars. But they are located far enough away not to be too noticable. Plus I can save about $170 bucks.

Thoughts?

I ordered my lines from Dr. Vtwin.  They have since closed shop....

That said, I did 14" bars, and went +8 on everything.  I also installed a new lower brake line.  Reason being, as you pointed out, I wanted it to match.  The lowers are only stainless from the manifold to the calipers, IIRC.  So, at the neck of the bike, you'd have three cables crossing paths....1.  MC to ABS Module; 2.  ABS Module to tree/capiliers; 3.  Hydraulic Clutch Cable.

I think its worth upgrading all the lines.  The details like that are what ties everything together.

With your 12s, I think you will be fine doing +6 on all lines.

Magnum, who I used as well, will be able to work with you to make sure you get what you need.

harleylimited

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »

I installed 12s on my 2012 SESG last May .......ooh bad memories for sure !!!! .....anyway here are my tips :

1-Use 6+ on lines
2-Cover all the bars with blue tape to save from scratches (i learned that the hard way on my previous limited !! )
3-No need to extend wires (just relocate the OEM plug locations) ..although i extended mine ...but was not needed and took lots of time with lots of mistakes
4-Only needed upper brake lines
5-Cover all painted parts with nylon and tape to protect from DOT brake fluid
6-Tank will have to come off for the brake line - no way around it ! (its much easier that it seems , again beware of scratches )
7-Take it easy with the molex connectors -they can break easily
8-Test every thing before you button everything up
9-use lots of lube (i used soap )
10-throttle side is much more difficult , i did left side in 15 mins , right side in 3 hours !!!

get lots of beer , take lots of breaks and enjoy ....lol !

if taking it easy ...12-14 hours and i have been wrenching for 10 years - did everything but engine builds  :oops:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:52:09 PM by harleylimited »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »

Okay, big drum roll please!!

My cables came in today. I ended up buying them from Yaffe because when I asked Magnum Shield about cable lengths and such the lady told me to just get the set from Yaffe. Go figure.

I'm a little concerned about the bleeding of the ABS system. I have not talked to the guy who is going to install the bars and cables but when my brother talked to him about doing his he said that I'll need to take it to a dealer to "pump" the system.

Question!! Will it be safe to ride it to the dealer?

I am stoked to get these bars on!!!!!

harleylimited

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »

i didn't go to the dealer , some people are lucky and air didn't get into system ,no ABS light for me or stealer trip .

nbomar

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2012, 01:38:35 PM »

Got my bars on this week 10" MBB. Attached are pics. I did the install myself after talking to some friends about the difficulty.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »

Okay, big drum roll please!!

My cables came in today. I ended up buying them from Yaffe because when I asked Magnum Shield about cable lengths and such the lady told me to just get the set from Yaffe. Go figure.

I'm a little concerned about the bleeding of the ABS system. I have not talked to the guy who is going to install the bars and cables but when my brother talked to him about doing his he said that I'll need to take it to a dealer to "pump" the system.

Question!! Will it be safe to ride it to the dealer?

I am stoked to get these bars on!!!!!

From my earlier posting:

The ABS lines run from the brake lever on the bars, down the spine to the ABS module on the right side of the bike. From the module, they run back up the spine, and mount to the bottom of the triple tree, then down to the calipers. You could get away with replacing only the piece from the lever to the ABS module. I am replacing all of them as to keep all the lines matching. First, you’ll need to drain the brake fluid. Then, and I haven’t gotten this far yet, but basically, you can use a vacuum bleeder to pull fluid through the first cable before you hook it to the ABS module. When the fluid is through, attach the cable to the ABS block. Then, you can attach the lines from the ABS block to the calipers, and bleed those lines as well. In theory, this should keep air from getting into the ABS module. For what it’s worth, I value my life too much to not spend $90 on an hour's labor to have my front brakes bled by the dealer. They have the digital technician that bleeds air from the ABS module. Honestly, I’ll probably have them done at the same time I have them replace the rear brake switch. Might be able to save a few bucks while it’s in there for the recall anyway.

If you do manage to get air in the lines, the brakes will work, but they may feel a little squishy.  A trip to the dealer will fix that.  Just make sure once you get the line from the MC to the ABS block, you keep the MC topped off with fluid.  If it runs dry, then you'll get air into the lines, and potentially the ABS module.

If you take your time, and work methodically, you should be ok.  Good luck!

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »

Thanks Fisheye!!!!

I forgot to go back a page to re-read your post.

Your info makes me feel pretty comfortable tackling this myself.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2012, 09:41:22 PM »

Got my bars on this week 10" MBB. Attached are pics. I did the install myself after talking to some friends about the difficulty.
Nice!!

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 10:36:29 PM »

Okay. End of day one on the install.

Things were going great. Not hard just a lot of things to disassemble and keep track of. I took my time and really didn't worry about how much time it was taking. My brother gave me some "Super Fantastic" connectors that he swears are the best.

I installed the clutch side first. Not too bad. While re-adjusting the bars in the vice I knicked one of the wires. Sooooo, I pulled them out to fix the minor knick just to be safe.

Yep, you guessed it, everyone of those great connectors came loose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, tomorrow is a new day.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »

DONE!!!!!

This took way more time than I expected. I did the bars and all of the brake and clutch lines. Took me about 2 1/2 days, including parts runs etc..

Let me be very clear,, I will never do this again. A HUGE pain in the ole behind.

Here are a few pictures for the forum. The first ipicture is the easy part.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 09:16:50 PM »

Done!

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2012, 09:20:22 PM »

Lookin Good   :2vrolijk_21:

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2012, 09:22:48 PM »

Oh the horror!

When you see you bike in this condition you have two choices.  WAKE UP it's only a dream or take another drink of coffee and get back to it.

All I can say is WOW!

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2012, 10:43:57 PM »

I tried to tell you :D

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: "DONE" ust ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice?
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »

If I hadn't seen and heard of people putting these bars on I would have never thought it was possible when I was doing it.

HUGE, HUGE pain in the A#@!!!

I took it for a ride and the bars are perfect. Makes for a whole different ride.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:54:58 AM by willyB »

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2012, 12:02:39 PM »

welcome to the monkey bar club Willie .. I absolutely love my 12" .. dont ya think they come with attitude ?? LOL

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »

welcome to the monkey bar club Willie .. I absolutely love my 12" .. dont ya think they come with attitude ?? LOL
Love the bars! They do give you that chest out feeling when running down the road. Ha Ha.

By the way, nice paint scheme!!!

citruscvo

• citruscvo

• CVO1: 2012 citrus orange - gunstock FHLXSE3
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2013, 10:44:39 PM »

I know this is an old thread but im trying to make the best educated decision here  10s or 12s mbb   im 10.5 165 with a short torso..34 inseam.. you guys that have 10s wish you would have went 12s?  and you guys or gals..with the 12s any setbacks or greives that you didn't stick behind the fairing ?.. thanks JB :nixweiss:
Usually what you are looking for is right in front of you...

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »

I know this is an old thread but im trying to make the best educated decision here  10s or 12s mbb   im 10.5 165 with a short torso..34 inseam.. you guys that have 10s wish you would have went 12s?  and you guys or gals..with the 12s any setbacks or greives that you didn't stick behind the fairing ?.. thanks JB :nixweiss:

My 12's seem just right and I'm 5'10.5", 34" sleeve.  Mine are very comfortable.  I need to adjust them back closer about an inch.  I like to lean back against the backrest, kick my feet up and have the bars be right where you want them with a slight bend at the elbow.  Currently my arms are completely extended when I lean back in the "Lazy Boy" position.  I've got to take my bike in to have the TBW sensor replaced, so I'll adjust the position at that time.

I hope that helps, but I don't think you will be wrong with either size.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »

Go 12. You will not regret it.
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

lowriderlou

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »

As my fiance would say, "Go big or stay home".  The twelves are the way to go and depending on how you adjust them you can still use the fairing-mounted mirrors.  Either way anything is better than the POS stock bars.

Good Luck, Lou

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »

Do yourself a favor and add heated grips if you are gonna go over the fairing or you will regret it!!! I didn't and already regret it!!! That my only regret with my tens and I just spent 6 days doing 13 states and 3100 miles.
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

lowriderlou

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »

Do yourself a favor and add heated grips if you are gonna go over the fairing or you will regret it!!! I didn't and already regret it!!! That my only regret with my tens and I just spent 6 days doing 13 states and 3100 miles.

x2

citruscvo

• citruscvo

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2013, 12:55:53 AM »

ok dokey 12s it is.. and the heated grips , just sent a message to the installer urbancustomcycles of tacoma...thats where he was pushing me anyway thanks everyone...if it was winter i would brave the install but in washington warm days are precious moments and i am jonesin to get some bars....then lower the bike some..ideas ?? ride safe !!
  :2vrolijk_21:

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2013, 01:50:04 PM »

I use the Pringel 1" lower kit. It is by far the best one I have ever seen and used. It pushes the shock back and down as opposed to just back or just down. I run the standard air shock and Im 230lbs and wife is 5'9 130. I keep it set at 30psi without tour pack and 35 with and have never had any issues. Keep in Mind, I live in South Florida where all the roads are perfectly strait and smooth. No hills, no mountains and very few curves. What is good for me may not be good where you live. As far as the front, Progressive mono tube will lower you an inch and improve the brake dive considerable if your a heavy front braker. I am 80% rear braker so I used the Harley lower springs with heavy weight oil to lower and stiffen me up front.
If I lived up North , I agree with the rest of the guys and would have made suspension a top priority. But truth is I ride North once a year in Sturgis and to drop 2-3K on Suspension is not gonna happen for me.
Your gonna love those bars, I did. While the bars are off you may want to consider plugging the fairing mount worthless mirrors and going with some of the mirrors I have on my bikes they match the Yaffe bars perfect and still very visable.
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
TP Removal System
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

citruscvo

• citruscvo

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2013, 11:37:20 PM »

thanks for the advice brian...I was going to do some research "quick" and find out what else I should do with the fairing off..I just removed my lower leg fairings and I like it !! It cleans it up so you see more engine and fairing but I lose a little "punch" from my stereo..I thought wouldn't it be cool if the had another couple speaks that would go in place of the"worthless" fairing mirrors !! Or I need to upgrade the speaks..I miss the base punch allready.I dont listen to music at home..or in my car... but on my bike hell theres no damn phone to be a slave to..I like the montube idea for sure and yeah we got our share of potholes..My sis is in Naples down there somewhere got any biker friendly guys we could hook her up with in that area  ::)  never mind this forum is about bikes Id like to see a pic of yours if you get a chance...jb

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »

You're going to love the 12's. I'm 5'-8" with a 32/33 sleeve and they fit me perfect.

This was the best upgrade I've ever made on a motorcycle!

Last October I rode from St. Louis to Pensacola, FL. Round trip around 1800 miles. Way better than the stock feel that I rode to Yellowstone. That upper shoulder/neck stiffness you get. Gone!

citruscvo

• citruscvo

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »

Great I'm sure I'm getting excited Mike I can't find any bars I just found a sitter brand-new on eBay and the guy says he's not sure if it's the CVo models or not. He's never had anybody asks that question. When I talk to Brady about two weeks ago he said the CVo models had a ground down spot or something for the master cylinder. Does anybody know anything about this I don't want to miss out on the bars If they are right Thanks guys

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2013, 11:41:25 PM »

I use the Pringel 1" lower kit. It is by far the best one I have ever seen and used. It pushes the shock back and down as opposed to just back or just down. I run the standard air shock and Im 230lbs and wife is 5'9 130. I keep it set at 30psi without tour pack and 35 with and have never had any issues. Keep in Mind, I live in South Florida where all the roads are perfectly strait and smooth. No hills, no mountains and very few curves. What is good for me may not be good where you live. As far as the front, Progressive mono tube will lower you an inch and improve the brake dive considerable if your a heavy front braker. I am 80% rear braker so I used the Harley lower springs with heavy weight oil to lower and stiffen me up front.
If I lived up North , I agree with the rest of the guys and would have made suspension a top priority. But truth is I ride North once a year in Sturgis and to drop 2-3K on Suspension is not gonna happen for me.
Your gonna love those bars, I did. While the bars are off you may want to consider plugging the fairing mount worthless mirrors and going with some of the mirrors I have on my bikes they match the Yaffe bars perfect and still very visable.

"Wife 5'-9" 130 Lbs"

I think you're just trying to rub it in!  ;D ;D

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2013, 10:39:21 PM »

Willy,

I would be rubbing it in if I posted a pic.  :2vrolijk_21:
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
TP Removal System
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »

Willy,

I would be rubbing it in if I posted a pic.  :2vrolijk_21:
:D :D

citruscvo

• citruscvo

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »

willie what mirrors did you end up with...fairing or ?? my bars should be here this week and after the sun n surf at the ocean she goes in for the install.. pictures ? and you won't be rubbing anything in.. I like inspration !! :worthless:

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »

With the 12's I am using the stock mirror withouts any visibility issues. I'm 5'-8" tall.

citruscvo

• citruscvo

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2013, 12:32:11 AM »

allrighty then bike in the shop getting the 12inch MBB's going to try a set OF PM teardrop fairing mirrors first...really thinking about having it dropped an inch with the progressive/monotube setup..hmmm..will post a pic of the citrus-cvo soon !! im excited and so is my back for this upgrade and attidude !

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2013, 08:08:15 AM »

:worthless: Can't wait to see the results!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:07:18 AM by willyB »

citruscvo

• citruscvo

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »

SHOWSTOPPER !   Ok I just got a call from the installer and they said the 12 inch MBBs I got off ebay "new in box" wont fit...the left side bar needs to be ground down to accept fitment of the hydraulic master for the clutch. They called Brady at yaffee and he said 3 month backorder for this bar needs to be exact for the cvo model !!..I had contacted some of you guys that had bought bars even off ebay and had no problems..I dont git it ??  did they make a diffferent clutch master in 12?   any thoughts guys !!   :oops:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:14 AM »

SHOWSTOPPER !   Ok I just got a call from the installer and they said the 12 inch MBBs I got off ebay "new in box" wont fit...the left side bar needs to be ground down to accept fitment of the hydraulic master for the clutch. They called Brady at yaffee and he said 3 month backorder for this bar needs to be exact for the cvo model !!..I had contacted some of you guys that had bought bars even off ebay and had no problems..I dont git it ??  did they make a diffferent clutch master in 12?   any thoughts guys !!   :oops:
Yaffee makes a cool looking bar but he is an a**hole and I have seen to many quality issues from ppl that have them mounted. Good luck...

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

lowriderlou

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »

Try Eastern Performance, http://www.easternperformance.com/.  I ordered my 12 inch MBBs from them back in Feb.  Great price and service.

Good luck, Lou

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »

To those who have 10 or 12s.... I have some handling questions. How is it at slow speeds around the parking lot say? Any top heavy feeling? Ive heard cruising is far more comfy... True???

I love the look of the 10s... Just think the 12s stick up a little much for my taste but they are very cool none the less. Cool factor aside, am i improving the experience on my ride or is all appearances. Not that im against appearances... I mean it nots like we all need a cvo  ;D ... I just want to know there is another upside other than looks.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2013, 10:47:31 PM »

If you like to ride leaning back against the back rest, get the 12's and tilt them back toward you until there comfortable.  They won't be too high that they are way above the fairing.

If you ride straight up or leaned forward, get the 10's.  You can shove them all the way forward to the fairing if you like, whatever is comfortable to you.

They are a great improvement in comfort over the stock bars and a lot better fit for me than the WO 575's that I took off.

Cowboy

lowriderlou

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »

To those who have 10 or 12s.... I have some handling questions. How is it at slow speeds around the parking lot say? Any top heavy feeling? Ive heard cruising is far more comfy... True???

I love the look of the 10s... Just think the 12s stick up a little much for my taste but they are very cool none the less. Cool factor aside, am i improving the experience on my ride or is all appearances. Not that im against appearances... I mean it nots like we all need a cvo  ;D ... I just want to know there is another upside other than looks.

I have the 12s on my scoot and believe they look better than the 10s, just my opinion.  As far as the slow speed handling,there is a small learning curve.  It took me about a month to get used to them but the slow speed maneuverability is no different than the stock bars, just different.  If I were to go back to stock, there would be another learning curve.  I wouldn't worry about it one bit.  The 12s (and probably the 10s) are way better as far as comfort goes and they look a hell of a lot better than the POS stock bars.  Go for it.

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2013, 09:10:41 AM »

my advice would be.. make dam sure you drill and tap top clamp for set screws OR get the one Yaffe offers and use it .. avoid the problems later that come when the bars slip and the ya do it .. jus sayin .. you will love the bars BTW.. I run the 12inch version

citruscvo

• citruscvo

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »

They're on !

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »

Did you put Heat Demons on also?  If so, could I see a pic of how the handle bar control fit on the bars?

Cowboy

citruscvo

• citruscvo

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »

They told me they tried and Werner,t gonna work :-\

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »

They told me they tried and Werner,t gonna work :-\

Was the problem mounting the handle bar control or reaming out the right handle bar?

Cowboy

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2013, 07:02:23 PM »

I looked into dealer doing them up here. 12 hours labour, new abs brake lines, tbw switch, wire extensions and hydraulic clutch line. By the time they remove my 2 amps and everyhting under the faring I'm looking at about $2000 cdn.

Seems steep to me.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2013, 08:00:34 PM »

I installed them myself.  First bike: 6 hr, Second bike: 4 hr and Third bike: 3 hr.  Not hard to install, just time consuming.

Bars: $340
New Lines:  $220
Beer: $20

Total:  $580

Cowboy

citruscvo

• citruscvo

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »

they said it was something to do with the mounting..if they would have told me I would have probably held them up trying to find another way to make them work or another brand...the fact that these bars I gave them were a non cvo bar and did not have the machined relief on the left side of the bar for the clutch master held us up two weeks trying to find another wayt ot make them work ..the fix was a different clutch master from hills country that did not require a relief...so they new better to call me and just put em on..gloved up so far so good the wind is cruising right over my knuckles but i'm trying to find the sweet spot on the adjustment..what's the trick to getting that stereo back in without messing up the rubber sleeve ? i've been in twice now and think Im going to pull em back a wee bit more...wee bit..  jb :oops: :oops:

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »

Ordered the 10". Quite a wait for theses. According to yaffe they are behind because of a replacement issue they are dealing with... Something about diameter of bar where hydraulic clutch for cvo mounts.
Got a quote from 2 dealers.... Way too much $$$. Having a local custom motorcycle shop do them for 1/3 less. Parts are expensive here, but the dealer wants too much markup and labour At 109 per hour.... So just not doable there.

Will post once they are done... Which is quite a few weeks away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

2whls4ever

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2014, 01:00:48 PM »

This winter, I installed a set of RB Customs 10" Sweeping Beaters. I considered the Monkey bars but liked the fatter 1 1/2 dia over the 1 1/4. I also and liked the gusset option they offer. 13 week leadtime, but I knew that going in and is why I ordered them last Nov. I was able to use my standard wiring and cableing w/o extentions which was nice cause I did not have to break open my brake line, neccessating a trip to the dealer to finish bleed the system while pumping the ABS valve. I like em!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:04:50 PM by 2whls4ever »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2014, 07:30:33 PM »

I did not have to break open my brake line, necessitating a trip to the dealer to finish bleed the system while pumping the ABS valve. I like em!

I opened my brake line, they bled just fine when I extended my cables and the brakes work excellent with no ABS light on. Don't believe the hype!  ;D

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2014, 03:25:43 AM »

Finally my 10" yaffe MBB's arrived. They look and feel awesome. For me the right height. Arms straight out slight bend at elbow. Nice!

Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2014, 04:05:34 AM »

I have the wo 577 12".  I'm gonna roll them back a little today.     Little more comfort I'm hoping.  I have then all the way forward now.    I'm sure I'll like the adjustment.  :)

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2014, 07:28:24 PM »

In as much as I liked the yaffe look alike mirrors from Demon Cycle (for only 39 bucks) I found them too small. I replaced them with HD Tribals then re-installed  the iPod Nano using a Ridersclaw bracket.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:31:36 PM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2014, 06:09:43 AM »

I'm using the same mirrors.   I like em.  :) they kind of go with the pin striping on the fairing on my sg3. 

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »

I think I'll switch to those also.  Do you have a front view of the mirrors?

Cowboy

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »

Ryan.  The tribals are nice. They aren't too tall   Another   reason I like them.   

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »

Thanks Stu.  I've got those cheap ass tiny Yaffee knock offs that are very small.

Cowboy

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »

Hey Ryan. You will love these.  Best choice I think for our bikes.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:41:15 PM by cvostu »

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2014, 02:52:23 PM »

Hey Ryan. You will love these.  Best choice I think for our bikes.

Thanks Stu!

Cowboy

citruscvo

• citruscvo

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2014, 01:13:50 AM »

The cvo taking some shape with a custom seat that seats me back almost 2 inches , had to roll the bars back a little but so much more comfortable !

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2014, 06:35:02 AM »

The cvo taking some shape with a custom seat that seats me back almost 2 inches , had to roll the bars back a little but so much more comfortable !

Looks real nice

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2014, 07:11:35 AM »

Looking good boys! Happy to say my bike has never been more comfortable to ride. With the addition of the 10" MBB's and Corbin Solo Classic, which BTW is seat number 4 for this ride, I have finally found the right combo.

Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »

Looking good boys! Happy to say my bike has never been more comfortable to ride. With the addition of the 10" MBB's and Corbin Solo Classic, which BTW is seat number 4 for this ride, I have finally found the right combo.

Very Nice...are those the 10" yaffe bars?

citruscvo

• citruscvo

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2014, 01:26:13 AM »

I'm running the 12s 0n mine , btw do u like that hd crash bar ? , do u ride with your feet on the rubbers ?

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2014, 07:46:36 AM »

I'm running the 12s 0n mine , btw do u like that hd crash bar ? , do u ride with your feet on the rubbers ?

No never have. They are way too high. I have been considering pegs to extend my foot forward, but never have done it. I suppose if I could find the part numbers for passenger footboards I'd move those pegs forward. But I can't seen to find the rumble numbers anywhere.

Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 21 queries.