Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Best Tuner On The Market?  (Read 7860 times)

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
Best Tuner On The Market?
« on: February 21, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »

Hi All,
I am in the process of upgrading my 2012 FLSTSE3 CVO Convertible and am now looking for a Tuner before i get my Exhaust etc. fitted!
I come from a Superbike background so you will have to bare with me at times and excuse my ignorance!
I think with my little experience and lots of hours researching, narrowed it down to 3! (but i am open to futher suggestions)
The 3 are, The Thundermax, The TTS and the SEPST
I am looking for a one time purchase for this bike so not really that bothered about the price differences, just looking for good solid advise from you guys who know more than i do!
Thanks,
Charlie
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Frankcsal

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Street Glide
Re: Best Tuner On The Market?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 09:36:07 AM »

TTS
2016 CVO StreetGlide 1800 CC’S Color CRB CRY/PTM FLM

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »

TTS
Ant particular reason you go for the TTS?
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Frankcsal

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »

I do like the TTS for being able to save the stock configuration.
2016 CVO StreetGlide 1800 CC’S Color CRB CRY/PTM FLM

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:19:12 AM »

Are you asking about a tuning kit you'll use yourself or a kit that someone else will be hired to dial in for you?

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »

I do like the TTS for being able to save the stock configuration.
Thanks, good point,

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »

I've used TTS, SEPST, Thundermax and Rev Performance Auto Tuner.  I've read good things about the Power Vision Tuner but have not used one.  Here is the order that I would choose:

TTS  on my FLHTK tuned by Steve George runs great
Power Vision
Thundermax on my FLHXSE3 tuned with Frank Drago's map and runs really good

Rev Performance doesn't work on your bike.

SEPST, I had no luck and probably a tuner that didn't know what he was doing

I've heard that the Power Vision has some cool features and is probably one of the newest technology.  I've also heard that TTS is coming out with a new tuner in the near future, who knows if that is true.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »

Are you asking about a tuning kit you'll use yourself or a kit that someone else will be hired to dial in for you?
To be honest i will probably get everything done at my local HD dealer,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 10:48:07 AM »

To be honest i will probably get everything done at my local HD dealer,

If that's so then suggestions don't matter.  You're paying them to do as good a job as they can.  In that case get whichever device the tuner is best with.  Ask him which he prefers to use.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »

Research the dyno guy and make sure he is good, if not, I don't care where you bought the bike, take it somewhere that has a good dyno guy.  Then choose the product that the dyno guy is good with or prefers.  

Or, call Steve George, tell him your setup, he'll send you a tuner with the map installed that will probably be very close to perfect.  Then spend the money you save on more mods!

Cowboy

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »

Research the dyno guy and make sure he is good, if not, I don't care where you bought the bike, take it somewhere that has a good dyno guy.  Then choose the product that the dyno guy is good with or prefers.  

Or, call Steve George, tell him your setup, he'll send you a tuner with the map installed that will probably be very close to perfect.  Then spend the money you save on more mods!

Cowboy

That's actually a pretty good bet. He has had most combo's on his dyno and has a vast library of tunes.
Besides, like you, he is surrounded by sand!
 8)
HOGMIKE

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »

Research the dyno guy and make sure he is good, if not, I don't care where you bought the bike, take it somewhere that has a good dyno guy.

It's a nice place filled with many things both glittering and dusty.  But I doubt a multitude of dyno operators is something Dubai offers.....  :huepfenlol2:

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 08:06:45 PM »

Don,

Just like here, good tuners are very rare!

Cowboy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »

Don,

Just like here, good tuners are very rare!

Cowboy

Amen to that man; amen to that.  I still lament the local here retiring a few years ago.  That was decades of experience and art lost to us.  I keep thinking that someday sooner rather than later tech development somewhere will put a product on the market to make this more automatic.  The Harley stuff is still a bit behind the automotive aftermarket writ large.  Though even that market doesn't have really bullet proof close-to-automatic options yet.  As is we're still left with the systems needing base maps that may or may not be close, hours of software familiarity and tedious and perhaps even dangerous data collection tuning rides.

That's why I was hoping that Revolution Performance package would take off.  It was the most promising of anything we'd yet seen.  But the company chose not to keep it current with the new bikes each year.  So now the existing product will atrophy for lack of new R&D and wither as its user base of machines diminishes for age.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:01 PM »

That's actually a pretty good bet. He has had most combo's on his dyno and has a vast library of tunes.
Besides, like you, he is surrounded by sand!
 8)
How do i get hold of Steve?

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 09:36:50 PM »

Cowboy
thats one of the big problems out in Dubai! we don't have access to all the guys and toys as you do in the states!
The only place i know who has a dyno is HD and I'm not that confident!!
Every non Harley part you want has to be shipped from the States,

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 09:41:26 PM »

If that's so then suggestions don't matter.  You're paying them to do as good a job as they can.  In that case get whichever device the tuner is best with.  Ask him which he prefers to use.

X2, x3 and x4

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 09:42:04 PM »

Cowboy
Hi Cowboy,
How do i get a hold of Steve George?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »

Another similar option is a company called Fuel Moto and it's principal Jamie.  Also a library of maps available and will pre-load based on your specifications. 

www.fuelmotousa.com/

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 09:52:37 PM »

X2, x3 and x4
I think hes probably only used the SEPST! but will ask him when they open today, Thanks

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »

It's a nice place filled with many things both glittering and dusty.  But I doubt a multitude of dyno operators is something Dubai offers.....  :huepfenlol2:
You are exactly right, you probably have more Gold plated Ferrari's the you do Dyno guys! NOT JOKING.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »

You are exactly right, you probably have more Gold plated Ferrari's the you do Dyno guys! NOT JOKING.
You are exactly right, you probably have more Gold plated Ferrari's than you do Dyno guys! NOT JOKING. (Cant spell this morning)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »

Wouldn't doubt that at all.  Have only been two times.  Generally to meet someone and head on to places less hospitable.  But the limited time an extra couple of days allows had me loving it.  Will always remember blasting loop after loop up the Jameirah Road along the water and down the Sheikh Zayed Road to start it over again. 

Sheikh Zayed is the road the Harley shop is on isn't it?  Vaguely remember it being close to a metro stop.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 10:24:35 PM »

Email or phone call.
He usually can return calls the same day depending on his workload.

http://www.fullsac.com/

928-505-2912

Hope this helps.
 8)
HOGMIKE

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 10:29:48 PM »

Email or phone call.
He usually can return calls the same day depending on his workload.

http://www.fullsac.com/

928-505-2912

Hope this helps.
 8)
Thanks Hogmike, Ill get on to him later today,
Is it the TTS he uses? seems to be the preferred option by most guys!

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 10:34:31 PM »

Hi Cowboy,
How do i get a hold of Steve George?

Steve's number:  928-505-2912 or steve@fullsac.com

Cowboy

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 12:14:38 AM »

Thanks Hogmike, Ill get on to him later today,
Is it the TTS he uses? seems to be the preferred option by most guys!

Yes, TTS.
I USED to go there to put bikes on the dyno, now all I gotta do is give him the build and he emails me the tune.
VERY little tweaking to do when we get it in the bike.
NOW I just go there cause he has my favorite beer in the fridge!  :drink:

VERY easy to deal with.
 8)
HOGMIKE

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 12:46:04 AM »

Steve's number:  928-505-2912 or steve@fullsac.com

Cowboy
Thanks Cowboybagger,

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 07:17:47 AM »

Steve George is the owner of fulsac. contact him at www.fulsac.com

Steve Cole is the inventory of the original SERT., He designed that old unit and designed the TTS Mastertune turner. Check out the The Turbo Shop in California. 
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 07:20:29 AM »

Steve George is the owner of fulsac. contact him at www.fulsac.com

Steve Cole is the inventory of the original SERT., He designed that old unit and designed the TTS Mastertune turner. Check out the The Turbo Shop in California. 
Hi Yellowbird,
Thanks for the advise, will contact Steve and check out the turbo shop in Cali,
Cheers,
Charlie

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 07:58:42 AM »

Wouldn't doubt that at all.  Have only been two times.  Generally to meet someone and head on to places less hospitable.  But the limited time an extra couple of days allows had me loving it.  Will always remember blasting loop after loop up the Jameirah Road along the water and down the Sheikh Zayed Road to start it over again. 

Sheikh Zayed is the road the Harley shop is on isn't it?  Vaguely remember it being close to a metro stop.
[/quHi Twolanerider,
Bang on with the SZR, good thing is in about half an hour out you do hit some amazing mountain roads that go on forever, that with great weather and no taxes make it a pretty cool place to live!
Less hospitable places! am i right to assume you are in the forces! we get a lot of your lads out here on well deserved  R&R,
Cheers,
Charlie

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 08:02:18 AM »

Twolanerider,
Bang on with the SZR, good thing is in about half an hour out you do hit some amazing mountain roads that go on forever, that with great weather and no taxes make it a pretty cool place to live!
Less hospitable places! am i right to assume you are in the forces! we get a lot of your lads out here on well deserved  R&R,
Cheers,
Charlie
Dont know whats going on with my computer! its going crazy!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »

Twolanerider,
Cheers,
Charlie
Dont know whats going on with my computer! its going crazy!!

Not in uniform Charlie.  My work is on the civilian side.  But I remember what you mean about your home.  Most of here don't get to know more than the stereotype of your part of the world.  The images we see of Baghdad or Tehran or the troubled areas of Cairo; things like that.  So we misunderstand the gems like Dubai.  Too easy now to close eyes for a minute and enjoy again those sites you describe and the city within them.

Readily admit that I'm thoroughly American.  I like it here.  The size of the place.  Its varied geography.  The different "feeling" you can have with different people in different parts of the country.  There are very few places I've ever felt that I liked well enough I could live and enjoy long term.  Love Vienna, despite its problems St. Petersburg is a place I really like too.  But of any if I were told I had to live somewhere else it would be your city.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »

Not in uniform Charlie.  My work is on the civilian side.  But I remember what you mean about your home.  Most of here don't get to know more than the stereotype of your part of the world.  The images we see of Baghdad or Tehran or the troubled areas of Cairo; things like that.  So we misunderstand the gems like Dubai.  Too easy now to close eyes for a minute and enjoy again those sites you describe and the city within them.

Readily admit that I'm thoroughly American.  I like it here.  The size of the place.  Its varied geography.  The different "feeling" you can have with different people in different parts of the country.  There are very few places I've ever felt that I liked well enough I could live and enjoy long term.  Love Vienna, despite its problems St. Petersburg is a place I really like too.  But of any if I were told I had to live somewhere else it would be your city.
Hi Twolanerider,
I came over to Dubai from the UK nearly 10 years ago and never intended staying this long! but as you said, it is a great place to live and not what most would imagine when they think of the Middle East! I have been to most other parts of the Middle East on Business and they sure aren't Dubai!
One thing I have come to realize is that we are all individuals and some of my most memorable memories come from the least expected places!

With all that said, I do miss home and one day I'm sure I'll be back in the Uk, just like most Americans away from home will end up back in the USA,

Back on the Tuner! Looks like I'm going to go for the TTS, seems like that's most peoples tuner of choice!
Think my best option is to get Steve to get me the tuner and sort out the map for me! Struggle with dynos over here! Best to start close!

If your ever in Dubai again in the future, give me a buzz, I'll sort you out a ride and show you them mountains,

Cheers,
Charlie

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 12:35:53 PM »

Hi Twolanerider,
I came over to Dubai from the UK nearly 10 years ago and never intended staying this long! but as you said, it is a great place to live and not what most would imagine when they think of the Middle East! I have been to most other parts of the Middle East on Business and they sure aren't Dubai!
One thing I have come to realize is that we are all individuals and some of my most memorable memories come from the least expected places!

With all that said, I do miss home and one day I'm sure I'll be back in the Uk, just like most Americans away from home will end up back in the USA,

Back on the Tuner! Looks like I'm going to go for the TTS, seems like that's most peoples tuner of choice!
Think my best option is to get Steve to get me the tuner and sort out the map for me! Struggle with dynos over here! Best to start close!

If your ever in Dubai again in the future, give me a buzz, I'll sort you out a ride and show you them mountains,

Cheers,
Charlie

Good luck on a great running bike Charlie.  And I'll definitely take you up on the offer if I'm that way again.  Nothing like a local.  :2vrolijk_21:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »

Jaimie at Fuel Moto, the Power Commander V with AutoTune module, gets you out of the "dyno business"
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »

Jaimie at Fuel Moto, the Power Commander V with AutoTune module, gets you out of the "dyno business"
Hi FlaHeatWave,
Whats made you recommend the PC V? your the first to recommend it?
Thanks,
Charlie

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 10:46:01 PM »

Hi FlaHeatWave,
Thanks,
Charlie

I've used it and like it.  Think I'd mentioned the company name and Jamie earlier but not the actual product. 

If you plan on doing a lot of dialing in yourself the PC V is (at least to me) easier and quicker.  The TTS has more control and greater options in its software.  But many you'll never use and it's software has a significantly greater learning curve if you really intend to get familiar with it.  The control panel of the PC V product simplifies and speeds up the process greatly.

If you're hope is download whatever supplied map you receive and ride from there it doesn't matter.  You'll not be using the capabilities of either system toward actually dialing in that supplied base map.  Then it's just whomever gives the impression they can screw together a closer base map for you.

If you're planning on doing some fine tuning on your own after the base map install, however, it's worthwhile to do a bit of homework on how each system does that and what investment of your own time it will take to get that done.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 11:29:59 PM »

Hi Twolanerider,
I don't have the knowledge to do it myself yet, but do however plan on doing so in the future!
I have just called into the office for a couple of hours on route (waiting for the HD dealer to open)
I'm going to have a chat to the tuning guy they have and see what he seems familial and comfortable with! i understand hes going to try and push me to the SERST but i suppose thats his job!
Just ordered some toys for my bike last night! Rinehart Crossback Exhaust System, RSD Clarity Air Cleaner, RSD Clarity Derby Cover, RSD Clarity Cam Cover so need to get the Tuner sorted today (hopefully)
In your honest opinion (which i do value) what would you go for?
The most popular option seems to be the TTS and a map from Steve George!
Thanks Again,
Charlie

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:53 AM »

Hi Twolanerider,
I don't have the knowledge to do it myself yet, but do however plan on doing so in the future!
I have just called into the office for a couple of hours on route (waiting for the HD dealer to open)
I'm going to have a chat to the tuning guy they have and see what he seems familial and comfortable with! i understand hes going to try and push me to the SERST but i suppose thats his job!
Just ordered some toys for my bike last night! Rinehart Crossback Exhaust System, RSD Clarity Air Cleaner, RSD Clarity Derby Cover, RSD Clarity Cam Cover so need to get the Tuner sorted today (hopefully)
In your honest opinion (which i do value) what would you go for?
The most popular option seems to be the TTS and a map from Steve George!
Thanks Again,
Charlie

It's not a simple call Charlie.  Many shades of grey.  Can only suggest what I'd do personally.

First would be dependent on decision to use dyno operator or not.  If he impressed me, I could get references that supported that impression and decided to have him do it I go with whatever he likes to use.  I'm paying that guy to do the work so I'm going to go with whatever he'll do a better job with.

If not using a dyno operator there are three competitve options in the popular aftermarket.  Thundermax, TTS and the Power Commander products (Power Vision or Power Commander V).  Along with these is the is the Harley tuning package.

When deciding between these three you need to decide if you have a concern over potentially voiding the warranty on the power train.  If the dealer can see a change on intake, exhaust, engine or engine/emissions controls he can make issue with the warranty.  Doesn't mean he would but he (or the MoCo) could.  Much will depend on your perceived relationship with the dealer. 

If the warranty is paramount to you only one of these purports to leave no fingerprint of its use (if you jump through the appropriate hoops before taking the bike to the shop for any/every service).  That's the TTS product.

If warranty isn't a huge concern you have more options.  Personally I'd use the Power Vision product from Power Commander.  It's easier.   The TTS software is large and very fully featured.  Which is to say it has a steep learning curve if you really want to get familiar with it. 

Most of us are ever only going to get it "close" doing our own self tuning.  I can do that more quickly (and have more fun doing it) with the Power Vision than I can with any of the others.  Have used them all.  All can do a competent or better job.  But as a layman just wanting to get it "good" (knowing I'll never get it nuts on perfect) I can do that more easily, more quickly and more enjoyably with the Power Vision than I can with any of the others.

If you'd not seen that one yet below will be a product link offered by the Fuel Moto shop that had been discussed previously:

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/site/power-vision.html

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2013, 02:38:05 AM »

It's not a simple call Charlie.  Many shades of grey.  Can only suggest what I'd do personally.

First would be dependent on decision to use dyno operator or not.  If he impressed me, I could get references that supported that impression and decided to have him do it I go with whatever he likes to use.  I'm paying that guy to do the work so I'm going to go with whatever he'll do a better job with.

If not using a dyno operator there are three competitive options in the popular aftermarket.  Thundermax, TTS and the Power Commander products (Power Vision or Power Commander V).  Along with these is the is the Harley tuning package.

When deciding between these three you need to decide if you have a concern over potentially voiding the warranty on the power train.  If the dealer can see a change on intake, exhaust, engine or engine/emissions controls he can make issue with the warranty.  Doesn't mean he would but he (or the MoCo) could.  Much will depend on your perceived relationship with the dealer. 

If the warranty is paramount to you only one of these purports to leave no fingerprint of its use (if you jump through the appropriate hoops before taking the bike to the shop for any/every service).  That's the TTS product.

If warranty isn't a huge concern you have more options.  Personally I'd use the Power Vision product from Power Commander.  It's easier.   The TTS software is large and very fully featured.  Which is to say it has a steep learning curve if you really want to get familiar with it. 

Most of us are ever only going to get it "close" doing our own self tuning.  I can do that more quickly (and have more fun doing it) with the Power Vision than I can with any of the others.  Have used them all.  All can do a competent or better job.  But as a layman just wanting to get it "good" (knowing I'll never get it nuts on perfect) I can do that more easily, more quickly and more enjoyably with the Power Vision than I can with any of the others.

If you'd not seen that one yet below will be a product link offered by the Fuel Moto shop that had been discussed previously:

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/site/power-vision.html
Hi Twolanerider,
Just got back from the HD Dealer (only place in Dubai that have a Dyno with technitions specific to bikes)
Not good news! they as expected tried to push the SEPST! and the guy who is doing the work said all his experience has been with the SEPST!!
Looks like this is the way i will have to go as from what i learnt today, if they cant get it right with any other brand Tuner they just hand it back and tell you to sort it out! it had happened to a guy i was speaking to earlier with his PC V!! he ended up having to fit the SEPST after 3 weeks with a bike running like crap! at least he now says it runs perfect!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2013, 09:11:17 AM »

Hi Twolanerider,

Cheers,
Charlie
Dubai is my favorite place in the Middle east.  I had lot of fun there in the 90's.  The gold Souk is a must see.  I did some mountain biking there in the mountains, the city was great.  Bahrain is not bad but not near as nice.  Abu dabi is pretty good to.

I am sure a Harley would be a blast in Dubia and the UAE
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2013, 11:17:03 AM »

Hi Twolanerider,
Just got back from the HD Dealer (only place in Dubai that have a Dyno with technitions specific to bikes)
Not good news! they as expected tried to push the SEPST! and the guy who is doing the work said all his experience has been with the SEPST!!
Looks like this is the way i will have to go as from what i learnt today, if they cant get it right with any other brand Tuner they just hand it back and tell you to sort it out! it had happened to a guy i was speaking to earlier with his PC V!! he ended up having to fit the SEPST after 3 weeks with a bike running like crap! at least he now says it runs perfect!!

It sucks having to depend on a source that limits your options.  If it's a concern that we'll not manage the other products successfully on our own and might need their help it's still something we have to live though. 

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2013, 11:36:40 AM »

It sucks having to depend on a source that limits your options.  If it's a concern that we'll not manage the other products successfully on our own and might need their help it's still something we have to live though. 
It seems even with Harley not everywhere is as free as the USA and UK!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »

It seems even with Harley not everywhere is as free as the USA and UK!

There are more options in other places than there will be in one city far from the industrial bases that make the equipment.  That doesn't always mean we've got more good options though.  More operators unfortunately doesn't equate to more good operators.  If you're local shop has a rep for doing a good job that's a time to declare victory and go riding.  There may be some satisfaction (for some) in grabbing one of the aftermarket tools and doing it themselves.  But not for everyone. 

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2013, 01:38:15 AM »

There are more options in other places than there will be in one city far from the industrial bases that make the equipment.  That doesn't always mean we've got more good options though.  More operators unfortunately doesn't equate to more good operators.  If you're local shop has a rep for doing a good job that's a time to declare victory and go riding.  There may be some satisfaction (for some) in grabbing one of the aftermarket tools and doing it themselves.  But not for everyone. 
The worries will really start when i want to open up the engine and start on the real mods! maybe be easier when i get to that stage to just drop a 120r in her!!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2013, 01:43:39 AM »

Dubai is my favorite place in the Middle east.  I had lot of fun there in the 90's.  The gold Souk is a must see.  I did some mountain biking there in the mountains, the city was great.  Bahrain is not bad but not near as nice.  Abu dabi is pretty good to.

I am sure a Harley would be a blast in Dubia and the UAE
Dubai is also my favorite place in the Middle East, lets be honest there isnt much competition!!
Great for riding, and no Taxes! cant go wrong!!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11:48 AM »

Hi FlaHeatWave,
Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie,
The PC V with Auto Tune, "tunes in real time" to any changes in the motor or environment (closed loop).
When you order a PC V from FuelMoto, you tell FM what you have and they supply you with a baseline map,(the baseline map will be close~if not spot on) then you put it in "autotune" and it does the rest as you ride the bike. For example if you change cams~ you just ride the bike, it will tune in real time. More drastic changes and FM will email you a new baseline. 
You don't have to put it on a dyno everytime you make a change.

My dealer also pushes the SEPST and if I was in your situation / location, I would probably go with that.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/site/dynojet-power-commander-v.html
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2013, 01:19:12 AM »

Charlie,
The PC V with Auto Tune, "tunes in real time" to any changes in the motor or environment (closed loop).
When you order a PC V from FuelMoto, you tell FM what you have and they supply you with a baseline map,(the baseline map will be close~if not spot on) then you put it in "autotune" and it does the rest as you ride the bike. For example if you change cams~ you just ride the bike, it will tune in real time. More drastic changes and FM will email you a new baseline. 
You don't have to put it on a dyno everytime you make a change.

My dealer also pushes the SEPST and if I was in your situation / location, I would probably go with that.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/site/dynojet-power-commander-v.html
Hi Flaheatwave,
Thanks for your feedback, It looks like im going to have to go for the SEPST just in case i need any Tech back up!
Not that the SEPST is  a bad product because it isnt, i would just rather have options! you guys over in the US dont realise how lucky you are!!!!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2013, 01:55:01 AM »

Hi Flaheatwave,
Thanks for your feedback, It looks like im going to have to go for the SEPST just in case i need any Tech back up!
Not that the SEPST is  a bad product because it isnt, i would just rather have options! you guys over in the US dont realise how lucky you are!!!!

You're right, the SEPST is not a bad product at all~it is nice to have options.

Most of us do!

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2013, 07:47:49 AM »

Hi Flaheatwave,

Hi Charlie,

the SEPST is not such a bad pick in your situation  ;)

As MoCo - finally - started to offer SEPST lessons for their European dealers in 2009 there is quite a good chance you may get a fairly good tune for your bike with this tool - and still keep your dealers support. If it doesn't work for you you still may find an other tuner this side of the pond who will finetune your bike. Even if he may prefer using direct link, TTS or any other device: if a tuner knows his business he can handle the SEPST as well.

Using the smarttune ability is the easiest way to improve a (fairly close) tune even if you don't have access to a dyno nor want to use it yourself: get a schedule from your tuner which riding situations (RPMs, throttle position, time) he wants to get logged, ride according to schedule, mail the log to him and he can return the improved map to you via mail within a couple of minutes, download to ECM and ride on. If you have a reasonable fast mobile internet access you can easily do 5 or 6 smarttune runs in one afternoon ;)

But be carefull not to wander too far away from those builds the factory supplies maps for: porting heads and manifold for instance may well be too much for smarttune and regular dealer SEPST knowledge  ::)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »

Hi Charlie,

the SEPST is not such a bad pick in your situation  ;)

As MoCo - finally - started to offer SEPST lessons for their European dealers in 2009 there is quite a good chance you may get a fairly good tune for your bike with this tool - and still keep your dealers support. If it doesn't work for you you still may find an other tuner this side of the pond who will finetune your bike. Even if he may prefer using direct link, TTS or any other device: if a tuner knows his business he can handle the SEPST as well.

Using the smarttune ability is the easiest way to improve a (fairly close) tune even if you don't have access to a dyno nor want to use it yourself: get a schedule from your tuner which riding situations (RPMs, throttle position, time) he wants to get logged, ride according to schedule, mail the log to him and he can return the improved map to you via mail within a couple of minutes, download to ECM and ride on. If you have a reasonable fast mobile internet access you can easily do 5 or 6 smarttune runs in one afternoon ;)

But be carefull not to wander too far away from those builds the factory supplies maps for: porting heads and manifold for instance may well be too much for smarttune and regular dealer SEPST knowledge  ::)
Hi Kraut,
The tuners here in Dubai were supposedly trained by some guys that came over from the US, fingers crossed!
Great advice on the general set up, just want them to get it close then like you say, the smart tune should do most the rest!
Not messing around with the engine that much this year! going to fit the Heavy Breather and a Rinehart Crossback Pipes first, get the bike running as it should and then enjoy it!
Just about to start a project bike! planning on taking a 2012 Blackline, stick in a 120r motor, add a pro charger supercharger, a D & D Boarzilla pipe, Springer front end and just see where i end up! wanted to do it to a Breakout but i can pick a Blackline up for the right money and it seampt criminal to rip the new engine out of the Breakout!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 24 queries.