Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Rushmore better?  (Read 6427 times)

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
Rushmore better?
« on: June 16, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »

My CVO is the '13 CVO Ultra Anniversary model. I am thinking of upgrading to the '16 Limited. Any thoughts from anyone that has done this? Was it worth it? Are the features that much better? Difference for me here in Canada is about 20k including taxes. A fair amount of coin if there are only small differences.

ultraswede

Re: Rushmore better?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 01:36:39 PM »

I think Il answer in an indirect way.

Why on earth would anyone but a CVO over a limited in the first place?.....
In my case because I wanted one! :orange:

There is no way that a 2013 to 2016 upgrade is worth 20K from an objective point of view, but if you want one, go for it! :2vrolijk_21:
Its a great bike!

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 03:13:05 PM »

Dear Ultraswede:

Harley marketing hype aside, there are many improvements over the non Rushmore Models, IMO

The wider front forks and reflex-linked brakes made a noticeable difference to me in handling.  I like the style changes to the tour pack, along with the easier to manage lids on the saddle bags.

While some folks have had problems with the Twin-cooling, I have not.  There's no real performance improvement there either.  From what I have gathered, it was just a matter of higher compression in order to meet stricter emissions.

Regardless of the complaints you may have seen, the infotainment system is superior to pre-rushmore models. period. Remember, you are going to see a lot more posts from people with problems than the rank and file who are generally satisfied.

If you are happy with what you have, keep it.  But if you are in for a grade anyway - go for it.  The Rushmore features alone might not be a compelling reason for a trade for many here. but if you are in for an upgrade anyway, what other choices are there?

Full disclosure:  I did not own a pre-rushmore limited, but rode a couple.  One was for the weekend when mine was in for service.

Regards,

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 04:28:23 PM »

The Rushmore bikes have a smoother ride, The infotainment system, if upgraded seem to have issues.  The twin cooled, not sure if it helped anything but the EPA, most pull the cat out of the exhaust anyway.  The saddle bag changes are easier for a one handed person, but the tour pack is larger.  Would I trade mine for a Rushmore, NO.  Colors may have gotten worse, depends on your choice.

ultraswede

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 04:55:09 PM »

From what I have gathered, it was just a matter of higher compression in order to meet stricter emissions.

For the 110, no change in compression, that increase is for the 103 wet heads.

Compared to my 09 Ultra, I think i get less heat from the rear cyl head, witch is no small thing comaring the notoriously hot 110 to a tuned 107.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 07:29:44 PM »

If you really want to know if the RushedMore changes are worth another twenty grand, I'd suggest you rent, borrow, whatever a 2016 and spend some time with it to see for yourself.  The important stuff like the engine and trans are basically the same with one important exception; the water cooled heads, when the system works as designed, should make for a more reliable top end because the operating temperatures will be more stable compared to the air cooled heads on your 2013.  The front suspension was changed and most have reported the new version to be an improvement in ride and handling.  The rear suspension is still the same old mediocre air shock system.  The ABS is now a linked system, some prefer linked systems and some do not.  Totally up to you as to whether it is worth trading for or not.  Same for all the other changes to the bags, tour pak, and fairing.  As for the infotainment system and all the toys, you can read a ton of feedback on this site concerning that.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Kingspoke

• 2012 CVO Ultra FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust
  • Senior CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUSE - Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
    • CA

• CVO1: 12 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 01:29:56 AM »

I think Ultraswede & Jerry pretty much summed it up! :2vrolijk_21:

The Rushmore's came out with numerous improvements over previous models like my 2012 CVO.  I don't particularly care for water cooling, but applaud Moco for developing a compact & stylish system, and not just hanging a big radiator ifo the engine.  I think this foray into water cooled (with exception to the Vrod), will be ending in 2017 with the new platform.  So another bastard child by Moco, perhaps.

I love the style of the trunk and latches of the Rushmores (modern but classic).  The vent on the fairing, though apparently very effective, isn't particularly appealing, but the newer batwing itself is very stylish. 

Basically you have the same engine/displacement (but cooler running), same frame, and same transmission, but hundreds of improvements to the 09 platform.  Some of these improvements will undoubtedly carry over to the 2017 platform.

If I got a ridiculous trade in offer and a substantial clearance discount, I would seriously consider it, but I'm not motivated as I'm perfectly happy with the performance and appearance of my current CVO.  I have Ohlins front & back so I feel certain it will handle as well if not better than the Rushmore.  I like the flexibility of upgrading  the motor(S&S)/transmission(baker), suspension & exhaust systems available, should I ever become bored with what I have.  A lot cheaper than buying the latest & greatest.

I would be more inclined to see what 2017 touring bikes offer, if I get the itch.  The Rushmore have great improvements over my bike but not to the tune of 10-20k, for me.  The value of pre-Rushmores (like mine) I believe have dropped significantly, like the pre-09 framed bikes.
Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 06:38:18 AM »

I think Ultraswede & Jerry pretty much summed it up! :2vrolijk_21:

The Rushmore's came out with numerous improvements over previous models like my 2012 CVO.  I don't particularly care for water cooling, but applaud Moco for developing a compact & stylish system, and not just hanging a big radiator ifo the engine.  I think this foray into water cooled (with exception to the Vrod), will be ending in 2017 with the new platform.  So another bastard child by Moco, perhaps.

I love the style of the trunk and latches of the Rushmores (modern but classic).  The vent on the fairing, though apparently very effective, isn't particularly appealing, but the newer batwing itself is very stylish. 

Basically you have the same engine/displacement (but cooler running), same frame, and same transmission, but hundreds of improvements to the 09 platform.  Some of these improvements will undoubtedly carry over to the 2017 platform.

If I got a ridiculous trade in offer and a substantial clearance discount, I would seriously consider it, but I'm not motivated as I'm perfectly happy with the performance and appearance of my current CVO.  I have Ohlins front & back so I feel certain it will handle as well if not better than the Rushmore.  I like the flexibility of upgrading  the motor(S&S)/transmission(baker), suspension & exhaust systems available, should I ever become bored with what I have.  A lot cheaper than buying the latest & greatest.

I would be more inclined to see what 2017 touring bikes offer, if I get the itch.  The Rushmore have great improvements over my bike but not to the tune of 10-20k, for me.  The value of pre-Rushmores (like mine) I believe have dropped significantly, like the pre-09 framed bikes.

Have not heard anything about this, would you care to explain or point me to a a reference? Thanks

Kingspoke

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 11:46:30 AM »

Have not heard anything about this, would you care to explain or point me to a a reference? Thanks

I should have clarified that it is speculation at this point, but subtantial indicators imo.  There are links to Tech Talk that discuss this in detail. 

Normally Moco is very tight lipped about any information leaking, but this seems deliberate, perhaps to generate interest in light of lagging sales.  The twin cam is now 17 years old.  Time for change!
Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

ultraswede

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »

The new water cooled triple cam 107 for 2017 was one reason I choose to buy (the last?) "propper" Harley engines, a CVO 2016.
look it up on Techtalk

Kingspoke

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 12:59:17 PM »

The new water cooled triple cam 107 for 2017 was one reason I choose to buy (the last?) "propper" Harley engines, a CVO 2016.
look it up on Techtalk

I believe the indicators are that it will be "oil cooled" motor not water cooled.

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »

Thanks for the information. How does everyone feel about the NAV compared to Road Tech NAV unit on the older models?

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 10:48:13 AM »

Thanks for the information. How does everyone feel about the NAV compared to Road Tech NAV unit on the older models?

I prefer the Garmin NAV over the Harmon-Kardon NAV

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 06:47:18 AM »

I had a 2012 SE Ultra and looked at the 14 SE Limited. I wasn't sure about the twin cooled motors but bought anyway. First year of production and yes it had warranty problems. I am very happy with the 14 an just sold the 12 back in the winter. Last year I rode the 14 out west through 103 plus temps. I was hot as hell but the motor seemed to run a little cooler then bikes in the past. The new electronics are also a plus. Yea I would trade up again if I had the chance.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

FLHTKSE16MAN

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 09:02:39 PM »

my 16 limited runs cooler than both of my buddie's 2011s and that can't be a bad thing . . . . . Boom is the real deal, amazing quality sound . . . . . touch screen nav is the balls so yeah, I think it's worth it!
It's better to burn out . . . . . . . than to fade away . . . . .

18 CVO Street Glide
16 CVO Limited (sold)
14 Ultra Limited (sold)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 22 queries.