Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Lifters Again.  (Read 7438 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Lifters Again.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 09:18:42 PM »

How about the Woods directional Lifters?  Thats whats in my King now.  When I do the build next month, I will be putting the new Woods Alpha lifters in it.

As hare brained as this sounds the few bikes around me that occasionally make use of my beer fridge and lift all hear me say don't spend the money on the high dollar lifters.  Have seen them fail too.  Instead doing something like the standard S&S or the Feuling HP+ lifters.  Just good standard product.  Then replace them with regularity. 

It just amazes me that we so blithely or even nonchalantly accept engine internals that fail so regularly and catastrophically as a norm.  Modern manufacturing, design, repeatable tolerances and materials sciences suggest otherwise for seemingly everyone but Harley.  Yet here we are with consumable lifters.  Even as bad as Harley screws up its early releases of everything I am so tired of the Twin Cam bullchit I wish they do whatever comes next and put this bastard step-child to bed.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 03:57:11 AM »

Made by Morel, decent.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 08:54:35 AM »

Which brand failed was my question. I have only had SE fail on me but on a .650 lift cam and HTCC CNC heads
Will

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 09:26:32 AM »

For a lifter I would recommend the Topline Hylift Johnson B-2313SE.
They have a tighter I.D Grind which makes for a very slow leak down.
Direct shot oil system, sends oil directly to the axle and roller needle bearings.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »

As hare brained as this sounds the few bikes around me that occasionally make use of my beer fridge and lift all hear me say don't spend the money on the high dollar lifters.  Have seen them fail too.  Instead doing something like the standard S&S or the Feuling HP+ lifters.  Just good standard product.  Then replace them with regularity. 

It just amazes me that we so blithely or even nonchalantly accept engine internals that fail so regularly and catastrophically as a norm.  Modern manufacturing, design, repeatable tolerances and materials sciences suggest otherwise for seemingly everyone but Harley.  Yet here we are with consumable lifters.  Even as bad as Harley screws up its early releases of everything I am so tired of the Twin Cam bullchit I wish they do whatever comes next and put this bastard step-child to bed.

Me too! I'd like to buy a new bike, but I'll never buy another Harley with a Twin Cam motor...  With allowing for a few years beta testing for whatever comes next, it's not looking like I will have the opportunity for a purchase for quite some time....   :nixweiss:

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

HarleyJeffOregon

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl/Jet Black electra glide.
    • CVO2: 2010 Ultra Classsic Scarlet red pearl/Dark Slate
    • CVO3: 2017 Ultra Limited Black Garnet/ Electric Red Pearl
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 10:41:35 AM »

I know! Why Cant we make a good Lifter!!!

HarleyJeffOregon

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl/Jet Black electra glide.
    • CVO2: 2010 Ultra Classsic Scarlet red pearl/Dark Slate
    • CVO3: 2017 Ultra Limited Black Garnet/ Electric Red Pearl
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »

Which brand failed was my question. I have only had SE fail on me but on a .650 lift cam and HTCC CNC heads
When they were replaced the last time it was with the last version stock Lifter that comes from the MOCO in new bikes. My original 2010 set lasted 70,000 miles. the new set only 27,000. My goal was to make it to the 100,000 mile mark and then rebuild it. Oh well.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 11:23:26 AM »

I know! Why Cant we make a good Lifter!!!

It's the system and not just the part. 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »

It's the system and not just the part.

Absolutely correct...  The very same design lifters work just fine in other applications.  Lifters work just fine in an EVO!  As Don said, it's the overall system - the lubrication, forces, angles, pressures, temperatures and so on...  The Twin Cam package is plain not conducive long lifter life.  No one factor, probably no two or three factors.  The entire package.  If I were one thing, it would have been solved by someone a long time ago...

Just like the compensator.  There is no magic compensator design for this package.  Compensators work just fine in lots of applications, but not in this overall system.

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »

Absolutely correct...  The very same design lifters work just fine in other applications.  Lifters work just fine in an EVO!  As Don said, it's the overall system - the lubrication, forces, angles, pressures, temperatures and so on...  The Twin Cam package is plain not conducive long lifter life.  No one factor, probably no two or three factors.  The entire package.  If I were one thing, it would have been solved by someone a long time ago...

Just like the compensator.  There is no magic compensator design for this package.  Compensators work just fine in lots of applications, but not in this overall system.

I wouldn't say it's the design. My '01 twin cam had 85k on it and I had no lifter issues or any issues with that motor whatsoever. People whined about wanting bigger motors and the moco delivered. Bigger motors = bigger problems.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »

Which, looking at it from a design perspective rather than a pissed off owner's perspective, is actually interesting as to the product and informative as to the company.

Lifters didn't fail like this in earlier Twin Cams.  Sure, cam bearings did (early on) and chain tensioners did.  But not lifters.  The cam bearings especially were a component rather than a system issue too.

Then Harley took an engine designed to be (with some basic adequacy) a low horsepower 88 inch engine and thought they were smart enough to make it both larger and weaker at the same time.  Timken bearings and reinforcements went away, crankshafts became less robustly manufactured, geometries and pressures became more challenging and displacements and outputs went up.

The only band-aids were compression releases to help with starting (and nothing else), a grossly ineffective compensator system (to minimize crank issues that would otherwise likely be even worse) and a little water running through the heads.  The system was adequate (not great, just adequate) enough for what it was.  It is still, basically, a decades old design that they are now trying to limp in to the 21st century and compete with companies producing more power.  It's no wonder the damn things die like ants in a playground full of boys with magnifying glasses. 

There is simply no way Harley didn't know this was a questionable recipe with weak ingredients.  MoCo is in the enviable position of selling vehicles that don't get many miles though.  So they can get away with a LOT that other manufacturers would not.  As much as we hear now; think what the tumult would be if this was discussed over an actually large fleet that regularly got 100,000 miles in 6 years?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »

I wouldn't say it's the design. My '01 twin cam had 85k on it and I had no lifter issues or any issues with that motor whatsoever. People whined about wanting bigger motors and the moco delivered. Bigger motors = bigger problems.

It definitely is the overall design.  We can't compare the 01 valve train and top end to what's going on in a 110 now.  MoCo has made changes over the years to what was a system that was ok, marginally so, but ok; for a lower displacement lower horsepower but still decades old basic design.  They now try to make it compete in a market it was never originally designed for nor envisaged.  So, they die.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »

Your wish is my command!!!!!! Keep your eyes open and just wait to see what happens in August. I just wish we could ask the pool boy to confirm the release of a NEW Big Twin!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 02:05:16 PM »

Your wish is my command!!!!!! Keep your eyes open and just wait to see what happens in August. I just wish we could ask the pool boy to confirm the release of a NEW Big Twin!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Have heard a few rumors also Mike.  One in particular from a source I'd almost trust.  But you know me.  Without provenance or citation or something I still don't trust chit.  So I'm just waiting to see; like everyone else.  Interesting mixed product line may be ahead of us.  Maybe  :huepfenlol2: .

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »

:vrolijk_11:I will be watching this time instead of participating. :drink:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 22 queries.