Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: They all have flaws!  (Read 5249 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: They all have flaws!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »

When I started the search for my Road King, I couldn't believe how many owners had their bikes for a few years and were hardly ready for their 5K service. I bought my 2013 RK a year ago with 6000 miles. Now it has 20000 miles. I agree, ride ride ride!

When I bought my 13 SERK on a Friday afternoon.  I walked back to service and schedule my 1K service for Monday.  Two of the service writers laughed, the Service manger said see you then, doubt you will only Have 1K on it.

Monday morning I brought it in with 1445 miles on it.  Bike only has just over 17K on it as its my hot rod, I built the motor with 2K on the bike. 

Had a 12 SERG when I bought the King, and traded the 12 on my 15 SERGU, which has just over 35K on it now.

They are made to be ridden.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:08:34 PM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 11:23:51 PM »

You can have both, I have ridden at times as much as anyone but I was still able to keep bike clean. We pack and use clean-up stuff in travel size bottles stored inside a mit inside a zip-lock. One large drying micro-fiber or a old time chamois in a bag with a folding bucket (great new invention from Amazon). Stop at .25 car wash, do not spray direct on bike but still do a good wash job. Being clean is important to me, maybe not to you. But I take the time to keep mine clean and always will, car/bike/boat or whatever, if I have time to use it, I have time to clean it.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 02:12:36 AM »

The best way to acquire a flaw (scratch, nick, dent, etc.) is to try to make the bike perfect.   :nervous:   :huepfenlol2:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 07:55:36 AM »

Stone chips, aholes parking to close and dragging a boot across your bag when they dismount, and a dozen other scenarios will happen if you ride them.   
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 11:18:39 AM »

My bike doesn't have flaws or blemishes, it does have character lines and age spots in her finish. When they reach 17 the imperfections in their finish become badges of honor! And mine has been honored a lot! ;D
Mike
 :drink:

My bike wife doesn't have flaws or blemishes, it she does have character lines and age spots in her finish. When they reach 17 51 the imperfections in their finish become badges of honor! And mine has been honored a lot.

Happy birthday to my one an only love who turned 51 this weekend!

And thanks for your words MIKEYTEE! 

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 01:23:03 PM »

My bike wife doesn't have flaws or blemishes, it she does have character lines and age spots in her finish. When they reach 17 51 the imperfections in their finish become badges of honor! And mine has been honored a lot.

Happy birthday to my one an only love who turned 51 this weekend!

And thanks for your words MIKEYTEE!

You are very brave or your wife is a  saint.

Mike

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »

You can have both, I have ridden at times as much as anyone but I was still able to keep bike clean. We pack and use clean-up stuff in travel size bottles stored inside a mit inside a zip-lock. One large drying micro-fiber or a old time chamois in a bag with a folding bucket (great new invention from Amazon). Stop at .25 car wash, do not spray direct on bike but still do a good wash job. Being clean is important to me, maybe not to you. But I take the time to keep mine clean and always will, car/bike/boat or whatever, if I have time to use it, I have time to clean it.

I agree. I am OCD about keeping my rides clean. I was the same way with my Shadow and Vulcan. I have some friends who tease me because it's always shiny.  They make comments about how if I rode as much as I cleaned, I'd be on the road all the time. The thing is I just do both. Cleaning it is enjoyable and therapeutic.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 07:58:28 PM »

I agree with you guys, that a clean bike looks good and I can see that you like to keep them clean. However we were talking about the flaws that all of us get from time to time. Such as scratches, pits from stones flying up, or someone opening a car door ding. So unless you have a painter on retainer all bikes get these. I'll put my Badge of honor bike up against anyone's as far as when she is cleaned. I'll bet you don't clean under the fenders or wax the underside of your bikes. I do when I CLEAN her, otherwise just wash what shows. I just finished CLEANING her last week and she is CLEAN all over even though she has badges.
Mike

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 08:22:08 PM »

I'll put my Badge of honor...

You're not talking about that big brown spot you left in the seat are ya Unk?  :nixweiss:

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 09:41:32 PM »

You're not talking about that big brown spot you left in the seat are ya Unk?  :nixweiss:

No but I did clean the underside of the seat and removed cleaned the battery and the battery area. Also behind the fuse blocks. When I say clean, I mean cleaned and waxed. ( Dick W clean!)

Mike

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 11:49:06 PM »

No but I did clean the underside of the seat and removed cleaned the battery and the battery area. Also behind the fuse blocks. When I say clean, I mean cleaned and waxed. ( Dick W clean!)

Mike

Makes a guy feel all warm and fuzzy when you do all that.  I'll take a winter weekend and do "the clean" to each bike.  Lift the tank and everything in the side covers.  Really go over the whole machine.  The button it all back up and hope those areas don't see light of day again until next winter.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 12:10:28 AM »

I might do it again next winter. It's in the shop getting tuned, fluid changed, motor mount installed, new crankcase vent hoses, and fork oil.
The hoses are discontinued, but they found them in Ohio. Should have her back next week. They couldn't believe how clean she is and I let then know that I expect to get her back just as clean. This is a really good indy shop. They assured me she would be pristine.
Mike

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 12:37:45 AM »

I might do it again next winter. It's in the shop getting tuned, fluid changed, motor mount installed, new crankcase vent hoses, and fork oil.
The hoses are discontinued, but they found them in Ohio. Should have her back next week. They couldn't believe how clean she is and I let then know that I expect to get her back just as clean. This is a really good indy shop. They assured me she would be pristine.
Mike

Which hoses are obsolete?

Smellymo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE White Amethyst/Black Licorice Flames
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 02:04:16 AM »

Mine is clean but not pristine.  :coolblue:
Screw it, let's ride.

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 07:56:07 AM »

I agree. I am OCD about keeping my rides clean. I was the same way with my Shadow and Vulcan. I have some friends who tease me because it's always shiny.  They make comments about how if I rode as much as I cleaned, I'd be on the road all the time. The thing is I just do both. Cleaning it is enjoyable and therapeutic.

X2. Bet those guys who tease are the first in line when they hear your selling a car or bike.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 25 queries.