Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: -Best helmet head set?  (Read 4261 times)

Steventammy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

-Best helmet head set?
« on: June 26, 2016, 11:11:59 AM »

Hi all,
So we recently picked up a 2011 CVO RG and we love it...!!!
However, the dealer that we got it from took it in without a few items (hence our seriously good deal on it)
The two main items we're looking to get are:
1-The Zumo 660 (It has everything else there; the mount, the antenna, the GPS backing plate...just missing the actual GPS unit...we posted in another thread we're looking to buy one!)
2-The helmet headsets

So, I've done a bit of research and while this is our 3rd HD, we've not had any experience with non-harley headsets. 

Please share your opinions; what's the best value?  Should we stay with HD or not?

Thanks!
Steve & Tammy
Steve & Tammy
2011 CVO RGU

67sprint

Re: -Best helmet head set?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 11:30:30 AM »

If you don't mind having to use a wired headset, EdSets (www.edsets.com) are the best I've tried. My wife and I use them on my Gold Wing.  The BMW guys are complementary of Sena, if you must have Bluetooth connectivity. 

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 12:15:54 PM »

I use the wired HD on my Ultra ('14) and I use Sena wireless for my RG '(13). I just read that, Sena has a new one that connects with the Infotainment but is wired. Not sure how that works as I thought Bluetooth was all about being wireless. If you get a
Sena system, you can also get an adapter so rider and passenger can listen to 2 different music sources, if that's necessary. What I find with both systems, if you have louder pipes, it will set off the VOX and the intercom will remain open, so you hear wind and also drains the battery faster. So I choose to use the push button when needing to talk. Also if your not using a full face helmet, the intercom doesn't work after a certain speed, sorry - you cant hear it clearly.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:50:44 AM »

I used the "stock" headsets for my cvo, which I believe are actually the boom audio sets. I say this because I have compared them to the ones I got with my 2010 Limited and they are better. I also bought a boom set once. Problem I have is they gradually find their way to max volume by the end of a 600 mile day. The pipes I have are loud, so I turn volume up, then bump it again, and again, and by end of day I am deaf from both pipes and headsets, and wind noise through the modular helmet. My own fault, but thinking of ear plugs to an ipod for trips by myself to cut the noise. As for the intercom, they are great, cb has no range and therefore sucks to listen to, but I think that's the antenna fault. Sound quality is ok for such little speakers, cant really compare to ones in fairing for sound or volume.
Will

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »

I use the HD units that were supplied with the bike, work excellent. Guy gave me a new set of J&M and I tried them, they really sucked compared to the HD units.
Been using intercom of one sort or another since '01, first wired Chatterbox then various Bluetooth wireless units but I think the current units that came with my 15 RG are definitely the best thing we have ever tried. Work exceptional and have good, to my ears, sound. Learned long time ago, the closer they are to your ears the better to the point of a l m o s t touching your ear, we do wear full face modular helmets.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG (Hard Candy Mercury)
    • CVO2: 2002 Road Glide (Silver)
    • CVO3: 2005 Chrysler 300C (Custom)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 10:48:26 PM »

I have a new condition Zumo 660 GPS unit (used once).   It's in perfect condition with cables and all... I just do not have a need for it.  PM me if your interested, otherwise I'll post it in the classified section.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:45:05 PM by TRS300 »

DaioRider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 RGU
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »

If you don't mind having to use a wired headset, EdSets (www.edsets.com) are the best I've tried. My wife and I use them on my Gold Wing.  The BMW guys are complementary of Sena, if you must have Bluetooth connectivity.

I really like EdSets as well and you only have to buy the parts you need. There are setups for boom mic and fixed mic inside a full face helmet. You can choose to have permanent earphones in the helmet or use your favorite pair of earbuds or even custom molded ones.

Ed's customer service is great and shipping is quick.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 06:58:10 PM »

I just bought a few items. One being a Bose noise cancelling set of ear buds and a cord adapter to plug into bike

No intercom or answering phone but sound is beyond description. No bike noise unless I hammer it or am shifting up from a stop. All sound is canceled out. It's freaky. Loud noises like horn or truck are still there but at low level. Almost too low. I won't use these except on interstate.
As for music I set bike at about 3 or 4 bars. Like so low you never play it there. The Harley headsets are 7-10 usually and still hard to hear after hour. These are like sitting in quiet living room with head set on.

Bike had Vance and Hines power duals and high output slip ons. It's loud. Still nothing with Bose system

This is how bike should come.

Used with no helmet and do rag, half helmet and full face with Harley headset already mounted. All fit fine.
Give a better review after 3000 mile Sturgis trip
Will

Seaweedman

• CVO1: 2014 Limited (jupiter blue)
    • CVO2: 1971 Police Special with sidecar
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »

I have been using the Cardo Scala wireless headsets. The wired ones always seemed a little inconvenient. They are voice activated and have adjustable volumes. (I can also talk to the Misses when she is in a store with her helmet on.) Although you can run a phone and the music through the bluetooth - that does not seem like a particularly prudent thing to do. Clive

DelawareHOG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • DE

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »

I have been using the IMC head sets, they are modular.  Each piece can be replaced, and cheap compared to other head sets.

http://ww1.cycleaccessorystore.com/

bfd7165

• Air Wolf
    • IL

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Siver/Palladium Blue
    • S
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »

EdSets is what I use and have been very happy so far. Still trying to dial them in with VOX settings.
2016 CVO Limited
117 Kit
Reinharts

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 10:49:13 PM »

Sena work great with zumo 660.  Load a micro disk with your music.  Pair your phone and headset  to GPS and you are good to go.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 06:35:32 PM »

I just bought a few items. One being a Bose noise cancelling set of ear buds and a cord adapter to plug into bike

No intercom or answering phone but sound is beyond description. No bike noise unless I hammer it or am shifting up from a stop. All sound is canceled out. It's freaky. Loud noises like horn or truck are still there but at low level. Almost too low. I won't use these except on interstate.
As for music I set bike at about 3 or 4 bars. Like so low you never play it there. The Harley headsets are 7-10 usually and still hard to hear after hour. These are like sitting in quiet living room with head set on.

Bike had Vance and Hines power duals and high output slip ons. It's loud. Still nothing with Bose system

This is how bike should come.

Used with no helmet and do rag, half helmet and full face with Harley headset already mounted. All fit fine.
Give a better review after 3000 mile Sturgis trip

What are your thoughts after the Sturgis trip?

AskCVO

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 10:16:34 AM »

Steve and Tammy,

If you are interested, I have two complete sets. One is the stock Harley headset and the other is a J&M. PM me if you are interested, I am in Paris right now heading to Africa but will be checking the site regularly and will be back in the states next week.

Gary

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 10:28:53 AM »

I would highly recommend the Bose noise cancelling for music and highway use. They stay in place just fine even when removing helmet or putting on. 3/4 or full helmet is best.  1/2 helmet is still noisy as it picks up too much road noise. Battery last most of the 500-1000 mile day. Charges fast enough in tour pack to use again after a gas tank run.  I wish Harley
Could figure these out and add communication
Will
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.