Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does your SG seat sewing match up with the console?  (Read 2159 times)

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
Does your SG seat sewing match up with the console?
« on: October 03, 2016, 09:48:41 AM »

I have tried two 2015-2016 CVO SG seats now on my 2014 CVO RK, and both of them have had issues where the way that the "carbon fiber" section sewn down the center of the seat does not line up evenly on each side versus the fuel tank console.  Both seats had the same issue where it looks like the left side is further out by say 1/4".

I know this is something many people would not notice or fret about, but it drives me nuts!

Thanks for any feedback, Ron

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Does your SG seat sewing match up with the console?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 10:55:11 AM »

Not to be critical, but when you are flying down the highway it really doesn't matter.  Kind of like my 15 CVO flames were not exact mirror duplicates on each side of the fender.  Just the way it was.  My advice is either get a custom made seat or just enjoy the rest of the bike. Ride safe.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 04:11:58 PM »

The entire nose of the seat, not just the sew pattern, is shifted to the left relative to the console.  Take a look at the console to make sure it is centered on the tank, then look at the seat mounting tab and socket to see if there is any side to side play or adjustment.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIMike

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 10:22:14 PM »

Noticed the same problem on mine and hate it. Thinking about removing the staples, centering and then re-staple. Sure, when sitting on it I don't notice, but unfortunately that's not always the case. One would think that they would get it right for what it cost to own the bike. Guess not!!! Went to the dealer and looked at a couple on the showroom, they looked the same. 

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:23:52 PM by SPIMike »

kalikali

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 12:56:07 AM »

Not acceptable, return it and get a new one!
Harley can afford to make up for this sloppy workmanship at 35k for a bike, we should not have to.
Tell you dealer about it.  The CVO bike should be flawless.

I picked mine up with quite a few flaws, dealer and manufacture fault. Looking back I would call out 100% of everything.

Its not being picky, its bring right.  This is not a 10k Honda cruiser, it should be the Lamborghini of all bikes, no exception.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 08:46:50 AM »

I'm surprised that it fits since the RK's console is wider than the SG. Which could be causing the plastic seat pan to distort or shift when installing.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 09:00:11 AM »

The photo obviously shows the seat, and not just the sew pattern, is angled toward the left relative to the tank console.  While it's always possible the seats were all built with the covers pulled toward the left side, I think the more likely situation is that there is an issue with the front mounting tab and socket of the seat.  Once again, don't guess, measure the parts involved and make sure first that the console is centered on the tank and the tank is centered on the frame.  Once that is confirmed (or fixed if necessary), then look at the seat mounting tab and the socket.  Just having the seat cover unstapled and shifted won't be the answer if the real problem lies elsewhere.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GILLY

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 10:20:36 AM »

That would drive me nuts...although it wouldn't be a long trip.

The definition of quality seems to be what you can get away with.

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 08:20:13 AM »

I appreciate all of the feedback, and thought I would follow up as perhaps it will help someone else.  I think my problem was both that the tank console was off (at least vs the seat) and the stitching is a bit off too, as that is evident even when the seat is off the bike.

So, I removed the one screw at the very front of the console and was able to shift the rear of the console over 1/2".  This really helped and here is a new pic.  Maybe not perfect, but a whole lot closer and makes me happy. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:22:32 AM by bad00serg »

StreetGlidin

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 08:36:26 AM »

I had the same issue on my '16 SG. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced my seat. The seat is still not 100% lined up but it's 100% better than it was.

Steve

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 10:39:09 AM »

Glad it worked out for you without major issues.  Enjoy your bike and ride safe!

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 10:53:02 PM »

I appreciate all of the feedback, and thought I would follow up as perhaps it will help someone else.  I think my problem was both that the tank console was off (at least vs the seat) and the stitching is a bit off too, as that is evident even when the seat is off the bike.

So, I removed the one screw at the very front of the console and was able to shift the rear of the console over 1/2".  This really helped and here is a new pic.  Maybe not perfect, but a whole lot closer and makes me happy.
That would be my suggestion too. I had a very similar issue on my 99 FXR3 that had a chrome console. I loosened it on both ends and adjusted it. I'm sure it will vibrate off-center again and you will adjust again....
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

Magnut1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 04:18:24 PM »

My bike has same issue, i am going to try your fix.

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 24 queries.