Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has Anyone pulled the cams on their 07 yet?  (Read 1140 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Has Anyone pulled the cams on their 07 yet?
« on: July 09, 2007, 05:59:51 PM »

I saw the old cams from a cam upgrade on a 07 last weekend, man, the cam chain is half the thickness of the earlier models and isn't smooth on top like the earlier ones either. I know they changed the cam chain tensioner systen to a hydraulic too, but I'm betting that the thin bumpy chain is going to eat those tensions up!!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Has Anyone pulled the cams on their 07 yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 06:27:20 PM »

I saw the old cams from a cam upgrade on a 07 last weekend, man, the cam chain is half the thickness of the earlier models and isn't smooth on top like the earlier ones either. I know they changed the cam chain tensioner systen to a hydraulic too, but I'm betting that the thin bumpy chain is going to eat those tensions up!!

I pulled my gears off last week and noticed the difference in the chain too. The main difference is that the new tensioners do not put the same amount of constant pressure on the chain as the old set up did. Plus, the new tensioners have a totally different material composition. After 4,000 miles on my bike, there was hardly any wear at all, almost couldn't even feel it with my finger either. I'm comfortable the new tensioner set up will last at least as long as the last version, probably even longer.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 08:27:27 PM »

Chief, that good to hear, I thought they might wear faster. I guess the new tensioner are a combination spring and hydraulic.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 08:33:30 PM »

Chief, that good to hear, I thought they might wear faster. I guess the new tensioner are a combination spring and hydraulic.

Yes. It is pretty similar to a hydraulic lifter with a small coil spring inside. The nicest part, is there are no special tools needed to R&R it.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 08:24:48 AM »

That's good news .. I figure by the time warranty is up , we'll have a much better picture of durability.
I'll switch out the 255's then, probably will still go with gear drive , but we shall see.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 25 queries.