Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38

Author Topic: "FXR CHATTER"  (Read 118569 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: "FXR CHATTER"
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »

Black Diamond 110....Cool Scoot and welcome to the site and FXR Board...Chemical Munitions usually sounds like things have the tendacy to blow up and get out of control if not carefull; but I respect your request...I won't ask  :2vrolijk_21:  ;D   

I guess I should welcome you here too BD! But we're old buddies on the SERK Board! He's done a magnificent job on his '08 SERK. Complete motor like me! Glad to have ya join us on the FXR Board too BD!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »

Black Diamond 110--welcome to the FXR page.
Black Diamond 110....Cool Scoot and welcome to the site and FXR Board...Chemical Munitions usually sounds like things have the tendacy to blow up and get out of control if not carefull; but I respect your request...I won't ask  :2vrolijk_21:  ;D   

I guess I should welcome you here too BD! But we're old buddies on the SERK Board! He's done a magnificent job on his '08 SERK. Complete motor like me! Glad to have ya join us on the FXR Board too BD!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Thanks for the welcome.  The problem with any type of munitions is when some butt munch that should not be touching them decides he knows more than the instructor. Oh well bad things happen to stupid people sometimes!

Thanks for the compliment Howie!

JW

Black Diamond 110...Hey Man...I just realized ya been around a while (Of course Howie noted that; can't get chit past him  ;D) Well...Good to see ya down here with us FXR folks...Welcome  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks bro

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »

I thought I'd put up a couple of pictures of my leaking FXR .... that is IF I can remember how to do it.

IF I get a couple of them in here, you'll easily see why I'm going to do the build .... well, I could 'just' fix the leaks, but I already have the new parts in hand   :pepper:

These pictures where taken after I washed and waxed the bike ..... went out and rode about 160 miles ...... and this is the mess that I came home with  :(

2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2008, 05:51:08 PM »

another one
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2008, 05:52:46 PM »

it's getting everywhere

The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2008, 06:09:38 PM »

Hey Mikey....Hey Man, have you had any leaks from heads or rocker box in the past?
Nope

How many miles ya got on that good looking ride?
25K+

I don't have any advice to give; just curious about the history of this portion of your bike  :2vrolijk_21:

It started leaking on the front cylinder in August. It was 'bad' but that's when I first noticed some oil around the rocker covers.
I then took a 4K+ mile trip up into Michigan and did the Circle Lake Michigan Tour  .......... a really kewl trip and fun time !!  I posted up some pics somewhere  :D

Then after I got home and was doing some local riding it has gotten to this point   :'(

But since I'm so close to my build time (in December) I wasn't too upset about it cause I knew that it was all coming apart anyway, so no biggie.

My biggest concerns now are, getting it apart without having to remove the engine, getting it back together CORRECTLY, and NO LEAKS for 10's of thousands of miles after it goes back together

The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2008, 06:11:04 PM »

No biggie. Classic Evo RB gasket leak!  Look here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1049.msg8917#msg8917

If you're doing engine work anyway, you'll be fixing it then. Otherwise just change the RB gaskets per that thread! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2008, 06:12:11 PM »

Hey Mikey....Hey Man, have you had any leaks from heads or rocker box in the past?

I'm sure the leaks are from the rocker boxes, if you look closely at the pictures you can see that the pooled oil is on the fins ABOVE where the heads set on the cylinders.
but heck, I'm no mechanic, yet, but I might be one day
    :D :D :D
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2008, 06:16:18 PM »

No biggie. Classic Evo RB gasket leak!  Look here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1049.msg8917#msg8917

If you're doing engine work anyway, you'll be fixing it then. Otherwise just change the RB gaskets per that thread! ;)

Hoist! 8)

That reminds about the first time I knew I was at a "new" dealership with all the fancy boutique part of the store and new building and (unfortunately) the new staff.  Rolled in with an Evo drooling oil from a rocker box gasket.  Service writer in his nice white shirt leaning over the nice faux marble counter leans over, looks down at me, pauses for effect and says "that's too bad sir, hope we have parts, we've never seen one of those leak before."  I'm sure he thought the sudden onset of laughter was a seizure of some kind.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »

That reminds about the first time I knew I was at a "new" dealership with all the fancy boutique part of the store and new building and (unfortunately) the new staff.  Rolled in with an Evo drooling oil from a rocker box gasket.  Service writer in his nice white shirt leaning over the nice faux marble counter leans over, looks down at me, pauses for effect and says "that's too bad sir, hope we have parts, we've never seen one of those leak before."  I'm sure he thought the sudden onset of laughter was a seizure of some kind.

:D :D :D
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

zn14

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »

FXR4MIKEY,
I put SE heads on my '97 road king, which I bought new from a dealer, and within 10,000 miles had a vavle seal leak.  I don't know if it was from the heads sitting around for years or just poor seals in the beginning.  I do know that I would put new valve seals on those heads before installing them.
I would search for the best seals made, I think there were some made by viton or something like that.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2008, 07:02:12 PM »

FXR4MIKEY,
I put SE heads on my '97 road king, which I bought new from a dealer, and within 10,000 miles had a vavle seal leak.  I don't know if it was from the heads sitting around for years or just poor seals in the beginning.  I do know that I would put new valve seals on those heads before installing them.
I would search for the best seals made, I think there were some made by viton or something like that.

Paul - You mention that you did this on your '97 RK

what year did you do this ?

Just wondering how old the heads might have been when you bought them .......

Thanks for the input !!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

zn14

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2008, 07:08:24 PM »

I bought the heads off ebay from a dealer for a good price.  It was around 2003 or 2004.  But I have no way of knowing how long those heads sat on his shelf before I got them.  All I know is it would be real cheap to do it now before installing them.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2008, 10:28:04 AM »

As promised....1984 FXRS w/original paint before the accident!

fdrdr1

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2008, 03:04:16 PM »

91 FXR Lowrider. I have owned it for about 10 years. It needed help when I got it - some bolt on parts, cam (EV27), pipes (cycle shack) and some cosmetic stuff along with some good old elbow grease. It has been a solid bike and has never let me down. I am chasing down a primary knock that I haven't quite figured out yet. Tried the comp nut, chain adjustment and clutch basket. I will now have to investigate further by pulling the comp sprocket assembly and taking a harder look - kinda of waiting for winter though - still great ridin out here in CA.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.