Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 2014 CVO Limited Oil Leak  (Read 9456 times)

garretn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
Re: 2014 CVO Limited Oil Leak
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2016, 05:28:40 PM »

We made it to Arkansas problem free. Bike ran great. :orange:

I replaced the battery last night before we left to make sure it was fresh.  I wouldn't pay the dealer $120 labor and $170 for a battery.  What I found interesting is the ECM that sits on top of the battery had a dead bug stuck on it and was quite dirty.  You wonder why I bring this up, the ECM is supposed to be new because it went out during the shop visit.  The part # matches the work order is there more than one ECM on the bike? It would appear they not only don't take care of the customer but they rip off the ESP company.

If the above statement is wrong and there is two ECM's then i'm sorry for accusing the dealer of theft.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2016, 05:36:02 PM »

The ECM mounts on the top of the battery tray (snaps in), has 3 plugs I believe, and has fins on it for cooling.  If that had the bug on it, it probably wasn't replaced.

garretn

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2016, 05:41:03 PM »

You tell me does look like a brand new 5 mile old ECM. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:45:36 PM by garretn »

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2016, 11:20:49 PM »

You tell me does look like a brand new 5 mile old ECM.
It appears if that part was replaced it was given to a courier and he secured the part to the grill of his vehicle in Mexico and drove to your Dealer with the part, thus, all the grime on the part, or they took an ECM out of another bike that isn't new, or they never changed the ECM. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »

Figure out how to read the date code on the part (I believe it's the four digit number on that label) and you might get a better idea of where that ECM came from, or if it's still the stock part.  If Delphi uses a system similar to the one I'm used to at FoMoCo, that code probably translates to 2013, day number 282.  In other words, early in the 2014 model year.

When you call the ESP folks to talk about piston rings, you might also want to talk to them about the ECM they are paying for that you don't believe you received.  This dealership sounds like a real winner.  How much does anyone want to bet that the only reason for the bogus claim of a defective ECM was that someone in that shop needed a new ECM for his bike or that of a friend?

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 02:03:52 PM »

Figure out how to read the date code on the part (I believe it's the four digit number on that label) and you might get a better idea of where that ECM came from, or if it's still the stock part.  If Delphi uses a system similar to the one I'm used to at FoMoCo, that code probably translates to 2013, day number 282.  In other words, early in the 2014 model year.

When you call the ESP folks to talk about piston rings, you might also want to talk to them about the ECM they are paying for that you don't believe you received.  This dealership sounds like a real winner.  How much does anyone want to bet that the only reason for the bogus claim of a defective ECM was that someone in that shop needed a new ECM for his bike or that of a friend?

JMHO - Jerry

Any hint on the OE date codes applications from the old regulator recall.  It actually specified date codes usage if I recall correctly.

chrisgriffin

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »

2015 CVO Road Glide, 6200 miles, Base gasket failed, leaked oil. Pulled the cylinders and found crack in the front cylinder, replacing both cylinders and rings and engine oil. Why can't Harley get this stuff to last!!!

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 10:31:48 PM »

2015 CVO Road Glide, 6200 miles, Base gasket failed, leaked oil. Pulled the cylinders and found crack in the front cylinder, replacing both cylinders and rings and engine oil. Why can't Harley get this stuff to last!!!
It sounds like another casting issue; composition of materials wasn't consistent, or was the heat so intense it created the cylinder to crack; I'm guessing casting issue unless they tell you something different, but you should inquire why did it crack?

garretn

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2016, 11:34:13 AM »

UPDATE:  2600 mile vacation completed no issues and very little if any oil consumption.

Harley sent me a survey about service repair.  Very poor scores prompted a call from the service director at Ft Worth Harley. What I was told was that the ECM was ordered because the bike would not run after cylinder was replaced and after replacing the ECM the problem still exist.  They found antifreeze had got into a connector causing the bike not to run. The new ECM was taken back off the bike and not charged to the ESP.  The fact that I was not told any of this was discussed and agreed I should have been told.  My paperwork showed the ECM charged out but it turns out the invoice they gave me wasn't the final invoice and they assure me ESP was not charged for the ECM.

As far as the rings go the director agreed with me I should have had the option to install new rings at my expense since ESP would not pay for them.  He offered to tear it back down and replace the rings and charge me for the rings only.  I declined that offer I really don't won't it torn back apart.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »

UPDATE:  2600 mile vacation completed no issues and very little if any oil consumption.

Harley sent me a survey about service repair.  Very poor scores prompted a call from the service director at Ft Worth Harley. What I was told was that the ECM was ordered because the bike would not run after cylinder was replaced and after replacing the ECM the problem still exist.  They found antifreeze had got into a connector causing the bike not to run. The new ECM was taken back off the bike and not charged to the ESP.  The fact that I was not told any of this was discussed and agreed I should have been told.  My paperwork showed the ECM charged out but it turns out the invoice they gave me wasn't the final invoice and they assure me ESP was not charged for the ECM.

As far as the rings go the director agreed with me I should have had the option to install new rings at my expense since ESP would not pay for them.  He offered to tear it back down and replace the rings and charge me for the rings only.  I declined that offer I really don't won't it torn back apart.
Bottom line you can't trust this dealership as far as you can spit. With regard to offering to break down the engine and install new rings and you having to pay only for the rings ($32.) it should have been done the first time if he was acting in your behalf; ESP does cover rings, how would they rebuild motors under the ESP without replacing rings; my rings were replaced at 83,000 plus miles due to a lifter. Also, you still have no idea what this dealership actually charged ESP to your contract for the repair if I'm understanding you correctly. THIS DEALERSHIP DID YOU NO FAVORS WHATSOEVER AND SHOULD RECEIVE THE RUSTY SHIELD AWARD FROM HARLEY DAVIDSON.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:51:30 PM by FLTRCVO »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2016, 06:54:36 PM »

None of this would give me the warm-fuzzies about this shop.  They would now have the last dollar I'd ever spend there.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 04:06:46 PM »

Rust Sheild Award. Now that's funny :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 22 queries.