Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiring headlight so both high and low beams stay on?  (Read 4987 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Wiring headlight so both high and low beams stay on?
« on: October 16, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »

Has anybody done it? I think I read that CD sold an adapter, but figured I would see if anybody figured out how to do it for free... I like free :)

Thanks

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Wiring headlight so both high and low beams stay on?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 09:47:14 PM »

I found this......  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=61365.30

Instead of getting power from the lower beam wiring, you are wiring to the acc circuit.......it was a 2010 so not 100% sure if it applies to your bike.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »

Older bikes could use a simple wiring change to separate the aux light switch power feed from the headlight circuit.  Later models changed to a different type of switch that made that simple wiring change ineffective.  I never messed with the idea again since Harley put out a simple $30 harness that will do what you want without having to do any cutting and splicing.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/independent-control-auxiliary-lamp-wire-harness-kit

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »

Older bikes could use a simple wiring change to separate the aux light switch power feed from the headlight circuit.  Later models changed to a different type of switch that made that simple wiring change ineffective.  I never messed with the idea again since Harley put out a simple $30 harness that will do what you want without having to do any cutting and splicing.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/independent-control-auxiliary-lamp-wire-harness-kit

Jerry

OP was asking about keeping high and low beam in the headlight on simultaneously rather than aux lights and high beam.  The harness won't help with that.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 01:58:26 PM »

Actually I think I'm a dummy, I looked this morning and the low beam does stay on with the high beam. The good new is I'm adding driving lights too, so this thread already answered those questions :)

Thanks, and sorry for being a dummy.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 02:01:01 PM »

Actually I think I'm a dummy, I looked this morning and the low beam does stay on with the high beam. The good new is I'm adding driving lights too, so this thread already answered those questions :)

Thanks, and sorry for being a dummy.

Figuring stuff out is never a dummy; that's "progressive learning."   :drink: :2vrolijk_21:

If adding the driving lights that one actually is a commonly done change to keep them on with high beam.  Well worth doing too.  Moreso for some headlight reflectors than others.  It's a cheap and easy thing to do that it's worthwhile just to have the option when you want it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 03:49:30 PM »

OP was asking about keeping high and low beam in the headlight on simultaneously rather than aux lights and high beam.  The harness won't help with that.

Oops, missed that Don.  For some reason my mind interpreted the question as high beams and aux lights, probably because that's the most common question.  I can't remember anyone asking about high and low beams before. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 04:36:53 PM »

Oops, missed that Don.  For some reason my mind interpreted the question as high beams and aux lights, probably because that's the most common question.  I can't remember anyone asking about high and low beams before. 

Jerry

I'm thinking that's how I read it also.

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 08:06:46 PM »

Better to go with Motolights or other-brand spots. Running high and low beams simultaneously pulls a lot of amps and puts out lots of heat.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »

Better to go with Motolights or other-brand spots. Running high and low beams simultaneously pulls a lot of amps and puts out lots of heat.

..unless you put in an LED headlight.......combined hi/lo will be less than just the halogen low beam.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 07:50:47 AM »

Another caution if you have fog lights wired with the HD harness to allow them to run with high beam is they can be on any time switch is turned to aux. I sometimes turn radio on when cleaning bike or doing fluid changes and have to remember to turn fog lights off or chance running battery down.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 10:41:16 PM »

Has anyone here added the Harley driving lights to a late model 14+.  I am thinking of adding them.  Miss the driving lights from my Ultra on this RGU.
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 01:57:36 PM »

Put the HD lights on my lower guards.  Pretty pricey after picking up the lights, mounts, dash switch and some harness between the left side cover and light connector.  Like the lights and have had lots of comments that they are very visible in front but I think something like the moto lights is cheaper and more light.  Had a Harley coupon at the time and wanted to stay HD.  I ran the light wiring across the guard to front frame and up to front of tank to connect to harness coming from side cover.  Some have run the wires through guards or through fairing lowers.  HD also make a mount up by turn signals but I wanted lights lower and spread out.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.