Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Modified my chrome Ventilator cover today  (Read 3907 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Modified my chrome Ventilator cover today
« on: October 18, 2016, 07:34:21 PM »

I know this is old news for a black cover, but I modified my chrome cover today. I wish I had taken better pictures along the way, but I'll do my best to show and describe what I did.  Here is the finished product.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Re: Modified my chrome Ventilator cover today
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 07:41:21 PM »

Really happy with the finished product, it was very easy to do. I clamped the air cleaner cover to my workbench  pinching the flange that I wanted to cut off between my workbench top and a piece of wood.  The top piece of wood was a very straight quality piece of trim board. I used that to guide my abrasive cut off wheel and cut off the flange. I made sure that the flange only stuck out enough so that the Cut off wheel would cut perfectly in line with the factory edge.  It took about 30 seconds to a minute to cut off each flange, I then used a 3M scotch pad on my buffer wheel to clean up the edge. The finished product is a very straight clean cut.  Yes I take the chance of the chrome peeling, but I really don't think it will. I have cut exhaust Shields the same way and ran them for years with no issues.

The next picture is not very good, but you can see the burn mark from where the abrasive cut off wheel was rubbing against the straight trim board. You can also still see the metal flange pinched between the two boards. Just make sure you have somebody there to catch the cover when you finish cutting.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:15:53 PM »

Very nice piece of work. You obviously gave it some thought prior to starting and it shows.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 09:44:39 PM »

Nice Work :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: Thanks for the "how to"!
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

ds33gt

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE Skunk (sold)
    • CVO2: 2006 VRSCSE2 Pearl Yellow
    • CVO3: 2024 Sharkskin FLTRX
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 09:26:08 PM »

Looks great, can't tell it was cut from the pics. Some clear nail polish on your cuts would seal the bare metal and help prevent chrome from peeling. 

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 10:58:14 AM »

Can't tell from photo, is that a stock thickness filter or one of the thicker special order ones? It does look good.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 11:01:26 AM »

It is the stock thickness for now, but my plan is to upgrade to the thicker K&N filter and a GMR113.

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 05:30:33 AM »

Looks great. Do you have the part number for the wider K&N filter?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »

Looks great. Do you have the part number for the wider K&N filter?

Just bought one at Bike Week don't have he box. Thinking it was an HD-0910 K&N. Just look on their website it is listed. believe it is $48.95. http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=HD-0910
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 07:33:10 AM »

Think that is the stock replacement K&n. Tilley HD has been selling wider versions special order.  http://www.tilleyhdofsalisbury.com/read-more-about-us--specials
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 05:57:54 PM »

One side note, just by cutting off the flange, it made a noticeable difference in TB noise.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 10:42:41 PM »

Think that is the stock replacement K&n. Tilley HD has been selling wider versions special order.  http://www.tilleyhdofsalisbury.com/read-more-about-us--specials

Interesting. Thanks , wasn't aware of that
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTC Vivid Black (soon to be for sale!)
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 11:56:50 AM »

FYI, When I talked to them the service guy told me they won't sell just the filter unless you have already purchased the "kit", and right now they have a backlog waiting list. He explained that these are one off, made one at a time. One of the service techs makes each standoff screw on a lathe piece by piece... Kit is priced at around $250 for the three standoffs and a filter.
Joe B

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTC Vivid Black (soon to be for sale!)
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »

I know this is old news for a black cover, but I modified my chrome cover today. I wish I had taken better pictures along the way, but I'll do my best to show and describe what I did.  Here is the finished product.

Curious what improvement in flow are you expecting? The K&N will help some, but gains from just the flange removal?
Joe B

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »

I am certainly no expert on the matter, and couldn't tell you if it helps or not, but it has to free up the air flow, and it looks good. The metal flange in on both the top and bottom, and sits very close to the filter, so it has to be restricting flow. I would be curious if any of the tuners have tried removing the chrome cover while dynoing a bike, and if it made any difference.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.