Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: 2014 CVO Ultra problems  (Read 54503 times)

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 110th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2016 Road Glide Ultra 117 Kit
Re: 2014 CVO Ultra problems
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »

Great info!! Keep it coming...
So do I understand that you already replaced the rear shocks? Or are you thinking about it?
From what I see in the spec sheet the 13 has 3 more lb's tq.(But thats the "spec sheet"), but it felt pretty good, about the same as mine. I do agree the slip on's seem to have more bark than the stock 13's.

Looking forward to your update.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2013, 01:20:05 PM »

This is precisely what we want, real world unbiased rider feedback on the new model's improvements.  Thanks for the post and anticipating more reviews.   :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 07:52:51 PM »

Did the stock pipes sound good enough to keep or is aftermarket pipes still a must?

After a shakedown of approx 600+ miles on my new 2014 FLHTKSE, I have compiled a personal list of ‘Pros’,’ Jury Still Out’, ‘Cons’, and ‘Ugly’.  I am certain that there will be those new owners that will have different impressions and disagree with my assessment.  That’s OK, since we all have differing preferences and priorities.  My list is lengthy and will be posted in two parts.  It is a work in progress, but I wanted to get my impressions to you ASAP, and get feedback from those that may have better knowledge on these issues. 
Pros:
•   New 49mm front forks/front fork suspension/improved neck bearing - Ride quality and handling is a quantum leap, especially if you ditch the stock rear shocks in favor of the HD Premium Touring Shocks or equivalent.  This improvement alone is worth the price of admission. 
•   Boost in HP and Torque is definitely noticeable.   
•   Fairing/windshield vent - Really works!  Wind buffeting is reduced approx 30- 40% without any additional wind in the face.
•   Saddlebag/Tourpack latches.  Also, Saddlebag frame mounts much more robust and easier to remove saddlebags.
•   Tourpack capacity increased approx 5%.  Capacity would be much greater if the front and back weren’t nearly as tapered, but I’m OK with it since I like the new look.
•   Stock slip-ons have a better sound and more bark.
Jury Still Out:
Twin Cooling System – I initially had a big problem with this.  Basically, it wasn’t working, and the bike was prone to overheating and stalling. I would ride at highway speeds (55-80mph) well over an hour without stopping or slowing, then at the first stop, the engine would immediately go into EITMS mode.   After a second ECM reflash at the dealer, the system appears to be working, but the ambient temps have been cooler (low 70s) where I live since the last reflash.  I’ll have to see how it works in warmer climes.  One interesting problem that the Dealer Techs discovered was the inability to perform a ‘live’ diagnostic with the bike running.  The new diagnostic software breaks the connection when the bike is started.  This has been brought to the attention of the MoCo and they are supposedly addressing the issue.

I’ll post the ‘Cons’ and the ‘Ugly’, which, IMHO, primarily involves the significant lack of functionality with the GPS and Infotainment systems, in a subsequent message.

ual767plt

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 08:24:56 PM »

Impressions, Part Deux…..
Once again, these are my impressions of the new features.  Opinions of others may differ.
Cons:
Infotainment System.  What I consider the most serious issue with the system is that it is too convoluted to operate, especially on the fly.  Having accrued over 28,000 hrs flying   military and legacy airline jets, I have finally met my operator limits.  The addition of two five-position joysticks and the left handlebar trigger has been, at times, overwhelming and distracting, and must be used prudently and conservatively, especially when underway.  I will not be surprised if there are a few riders that depart the paved surface while playing with the system.  If this starts to become a trend, I fear the MoCo might update the firmware, effectively ‘locking out’ certain features this system when the bike is moving.  This would effectively transform the system into an $1800 fairing ‘brick’ when underway.  We need to be aware of this and use the system cautiously and safely.       
Bluetooth.  When initially starting up the bike, the Bluetooth is very slow to pair with my IPhone 5.  Takes 3-5 minutes on average.  I thought it might be the phone, so I tried it with the wife’s IPhone 4 and then a friend’s Droid.  Same result.
Inner Fairing Phone/USB Cubby Hole.  Not a good design.  Problematic when trying to stuff both the phone and phone cable in the cavity.  The door assembly to the cubby hole also seems cheap and flimsy.  Hopefully not prone to breaking.
Rider Backrest.  I’m 6’2” with a 32”inseam.  The new seat is extremely comfortable; more so than the previous hammock seat design.  The backrest is another story.  Despite my long torso, the lowest backrest setting positions places it at my mid-back, not lower back as desired.  The backache starts at 50-100 miles.  Shorter riders may find the backrest on their shoulder blades.  This wasn’t a problem on my previous CVOs.
Daymaker Lights.  These have been out for awhile, but they are my first set.   I am concerned about the reduction in brightness in the daytime, compared to the previous lamps.  I’m a big believer in the ‘being seen’ concept, and all of my close calls with cagers have been during daylight hours.  The light ‘throw’ at night is better, but I am not convinced they are worth the compromise during the day.  Currently looking for aftermarket alternatives.  Ideas and suggestions from you guys would be most welcome.     
Ugly
GPS.   My biggest disappointment. 
Short Story:
• The GPS capability is archaic, on a par with 20yr old technology.  I’ll be mounting my old Garmin Zumo on the bike.
Long Story :
• Unable to build/load custom routes with more than 9 total waypoints/via points.  Forget about installing custom routes from Basecamp and Mapsource with more than 9 waypints.  I haven’t tried loading a custom route from HD Ride Planner, since it’s a crappy program and a nightmare to build a custom route.  Basically all you can do is load in the final destination, then enable/disable the route calculation preferences (Twisty, Round Trip, Avoidances).  The existing system places you at the mercy of where the MoCo thinks you should go.       
• Lack of Active Route Information, such as Time, Distance, or ETA to next turn point.  Can only display Time, Distance, and ETA to final destination.  Turn point info is provided only via voice prompts, which is problematic if you wish to mute it so it doesn’t continually interrupt your tunes.
• Display – Screen brightness can be adjusted, but contrast cannot.  Problematic in the sunlight when the GPS display has a gray background with most roads colored yellow.
• Slow to boot up/ready to navigate.  Takes several minutes.
• Check out the price of map updates at:
        https://harley-davidson.naviextras.com/shop/portal/newCatalog?selectedTab=3
               Prices vary from $149.95 to $199.95 depending on region.  Ka-Ching!
• Another very pricey item is the replaceable peel and stick screen protector (P/N 91700034).  Priced at $56.37, the Owner’s Manual states that failure to replace it as needed will void the warranty.  Seriously MoCo?   
'20 FLHTKSE

ual767plt

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »

Did the stock pipes sound good enough to keep or is aftermarket pipes still a must?

The stock pipes sound good enough for me.  From the rider's seat during cruise, they sound just slightly less than the V&H Monster Ovals that I used to run.
'20 FLHTKSE

ual767plt

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »

Just left my dealer and a guy brought back his new cvo ultra  after 250 miles and it stayed in parade mode and the fans won't turn on First day for him.   Billy

That may have been me.  Was it the red model at Woodstock HD?
'20 FLHTKSE

ual767plt

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »

Great info!! Keep it coming...
So do I understand that you already replaced the rear shocks? Or are you thinking about it?
From what I see in the spec sheet the 13 has 3 more lb's tq.(But thats the "spec sheet"), but it felt pretty good, about the same as mine. I do agree the slip on's seem to have more bark than the stock 13's.

Looking forward to your update.

I had the dealer put the HD Premium Touring Shocks on from the previous bike.  I've been very happy with them, and now with the new front fork/neck bearings the ride is awesome!
'20 FLHTKSE

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2013, 09:34:45 PM »

That may have been me.  Was it the red model at Woodstock HD?
Yes I believe that we met there when Nick was trying to fix your bike. I hope all is well now. Sorry to read about the GPS  Very poor  product for a new  bike when GPS  have been out forever that work better  and easier.     Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 03:34:05 AM »

UAL767plt,

Harley should be paying you for your reviews. You are providing them the info they need to hopefully "get things right". From what you have written, the Infortainment/GPS system is very disappointing. And the way they milk you for more money via map updates and screen protectors is without conscience.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 07:52:35 AM »

Daymaker Lights.  These have been out for awhile, but they are my first set.   I am concerned about the reduction in brightness in the daytime, compared to the previous lamps.  I’m a big believer in the ‘being seen’ concept, and all of my close calls with cagers have been during daylight hours.  The light ‘throw’ at night is better, but I am not convinced they are worth the compromise during the day.  Currently looking for aftermarket alternatives.  Ideas and suggestions from you guys would be most welcome.   

first, thanks for posting your thoughts. This is the info that we all really need.  As for the lights, I opted for the Moto Lights down on the brake calipers and also put in the LED turn signals by CUstom Dynamcis.  They are white while riding and turn yellow when you use turn signal or flashers. They are bright and are "white light" that match the Daymaker and the LED Moto Lights.  I think that the combination of those are pretty good. 

ual767plt

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »

first, thanks for posting your thoughts. This is the info that we all really need.  As for the lights, I opted for the Moto Lights down on the brake calipers and also put in the LED turn signals by CUstom Dynamcis.  They are white while riding and turn yellow when you use turn signal or flashers. They are bright and are "white light" that match the Daymaker and the LED Moto Lights.  I think that the combination of those are pretty good. 

Tir, thanks so much for the suggestions on the lights.  I'll check them out  :2vrolijk_21:
'20 FLHTKSE

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 08:07:14 AM »

Here is a pic with the lights.  One is yellow as I put a blinker on to capture that.  Hope that helps.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 08:10:36 AM »

My new 2014 'Steaming Eagle' is back in the shop after 318 miles.  The Twin Cooling is not working as it should and the bike is overheating.  Furthermore, the Infotainment system is an epic fail IMHO.  Lipstick on a Pig.  Once I compile all of the details, I will post the pros and cons of the new bike and it's functionality.
I don't understand why it would overheat, if the cooling fails, shouldn't it simply be an air cooled Vtwin motor again????  :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »

Let me tell you that while riding to, riding at, and coming home from Sturgis, the HD Daymaker lights were the most visible daytime lamps we noticed. The Phase 7 has a spot when coming head on to it that blanks out and looks like there is no light coming out.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2013, 08:22:47 AM »

UAL767plt,
Harley should be paying you for your reviews. You are providing them the info they need to hopefully "get things right". From what you have written, the Infortainment/GPS system is very disappointing. And the way they milk you for more money via map updates and screen protectors is without conscience.
Mark

Agreed!  

UAL, thanks for the very informative review of your bike and the good/bad/ugly of it.  I'm a firm believer that if the MoCo (or any product manufacturer for that matter) used real world evaluations/testing of their products (and some do) using "real" people instead of paid engineers/evaluators (who's job could be on the line for a negative issue....) is the way to go.  Make your product, review it in-house and then get some actual potential users of your product to use it.  You will get all kinds of opinions (just like we do on the forum) but you also receive positive real-world feedback.  If you read our responses/reviews, there is good, real world information there.  While some of us may not have any of the problems or issues, some of us may have them all or more but it's all here for us to use as needed and we are aware of issues if something does come up.  MoCo, are you listening  :nixweiss:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 25 queries.