Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When does an engine issue become a full blown recall?  (Read 2494 times)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
When does an engine issue become a full blown recall?
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:55:10 AM »

OK guys, you are scaring the chit out of me with all of the bad head gaskets, clearancing issues (I don't even know what this is ;D) and other assorted issues with our 110's.  It appears most of these beasts are having problems with the rear cylinder head leaking oil due to an improper or defective head gasket. 

With all of the incidents that the members here have reported, when do you think the MoCo will fess up and issue some type of recall or Serivce Bulletin to authorize a fix and get these corrected before all hell breaks loose?  I guess it would be either a lack of desire to do so, due to cost, bad PR, or they just do not have a fix for these bikes yet!

I have my 1,000 mile service coming up soon, and I will definitely let them know about these issues. 

If our little online world  here is any indication of what the general population is going through, they have a potential major issue brewing and we may have a bike that may not be worth what we paid for them.

I may have to pony up some extra bucks to get the extended service contract just to cover my ass :-\

I have a deposit on a 2008 model just in case ;D

2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
Re: When does an engine issue become a full blown recall?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 08:02:29 AM »

If our little online world  here is any indication of what the general population is going through, they have a potential major issue brewing and we may have a bike that may not be worth what we paid for them.

You mean there are others besides us???

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 08:40:54 AM »

I just did my 5K no leaks no problems no nothing but lots of fun. Like anything sometimes you get a bad one. 3 times and their out.
Ride and enjoy what will be will be.
Dave

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »

OK guys, you are scaring the chit out of me with all of the bad head gaskets, clearancing issues (I don't even know what this is ;D) and other assorted issues with our 110's.  It appears most of these beasts are having problems with the rear cylinder head leaking oil due to an improper or defective head gasket. 

With all of the incidents that the members here have reported, when do you think the MoCo will fess up and issue some type of recall or Serivce Bulletin to authorize a fix and get these corrected before all hell breaks loose?  I guess it would be either a lack of desire to do so, due to cost, bad PR, or they just do not have a fix for these bikes yet!

I have my 1,000 mile service coming up soon, and I will definitely let them know about these issues. 

I may have to pony up some extra bucks to get the extended service contract just to cover my ass :-\

I have a deposit on a 2008 model just in case ;D

CB,
Those that have had the "problem" have seen it around 7K miles.  It's not so much of an out-and-out leak, but more of a seepage.  In most cases you have to get down on your knees and look at the gasket area by the rear header with a flashlight to see anything.  So far, no one has had a catastrophic failure because of the head gasket seepage.  HD may come out with a service bulletin to tell the dealerships that when they do a service on a bike to check the head gaskets for seepage and if they see it, replace it.  This would be a lot easier (read cheaper) for the MoCo to do then a general recall becaise everyone is entitled to have the head gaskets replaced whether they have a problem or not if they do a recall.  Ride the bike like you normally would ride it, and if the gasket starts seeping, have them replaced.  I haven't noticed (knock on wood) anything with mine yet.  I would venture to guess that all new 110's coming from the Wisconsin plant, probably have the new gaskets installed already and won't pose a problem.  As far as the clearance issue, if you hear excessive noise coming out of the rocker boxes have them checked by the dealership.  Or if you have to have the gasket replaced have them check your rocker boxes for proper clearance.  Again, it's an issue that, so far, has not caused any catastrophic failures.  You have a warranty that will cover the repairs...the seeping gasket is more of an inconvenience, due to down-time of your ride, than anything else.  Hopefully, it's not happening to every 110 motor...if/when it does happen to mine, I'll simply take it in, have them replace the gaskets and then check to make sure I have proper clearance in the rocker boxes too...
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 03:03:22 PM »

Redevil thank you for having a clear head and concise answer. When we hear dealers say 'not to believe what you hear on the internet' it is because of some of the ramblings between members. However, most of the knowledge that is exchanged is valuable. That being said I think when you get a person who has the wherewithal to buy one of the machines, they have the knowledge to do a vast amount of research. In that research we find common problems. I am not a 'wrench', far from it. I do like my motorcycle and I do  like to ride it. I think that we all just want a properly working machine that will last us for years of enjoyable riding.

AJ

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »

Redevil thank you for having a clear head and concise answer. When we hear dealers say 'not to believe what you hear on the internet' it is because of some of the ramblings between members. However, most of the knowledge that is exchanged is valuable. That being said I think when you get a person who has the wherewithal to buy one of the machines, they have the knowledge to do a vast amount of research. In that research we find common problems. I am not a 'wrench', far from it. I do like my motorcycle and I do  like to ride it. I think that we all just want a properly working machine that will last us for years of enjoyable riding.
AJ

Red and AJ,

Thanks for the replies.  As I have highlighted above, that is all I really want.  I don't ride like Hoist (or post like him ;D), but I love the time spent in the saddle and have little patience for poor quality.  I know stuff goes wrong, but I really trust some of the opinions on this board from some of the members, and it appears that this is a very consistent issue.

I'll take your advice Red and just enjoy the he** out of it.

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 05:28:59 PM »

AJ
AJ,
I agree with you 100%.  My dealer does the same thing and says you can't believe everything you read online...and then I tell him to check with the MoCo to see if they've heard of some of the issues and the Service Manager will 3 times out of 4 come back to me and tell me, you're right, they have heard of the issue, it just hasn't filtered down to us yet.  So, I kind of use the same logic with the dealers, you can't believe everything you hear from them, either. ::)  Like you, I do a lot of post readings to see the experiences my fellow bros have been having.  It's hard to not believe real-life/real-time issues.  That's one of things I love about this forum...there are guys that are light years ahead of me when it comes to wrenching.  (I have nothing but left thumbs when it comes to doing that stuff :P ).  So I take a lot of the advice they give onboard, because they speak from experience.  I too love my Jester and I just got done having a great ride on it today, and I want the same as you, as I think everyone one does, a properly working machine that will give us the least amount of headaches and years of enjoyment.  I bought the '07 knowing that I was buying a "first-year" model.  I don't normally do that, but I wanted a SEUC, and I thought, that if history repeats itself, 07 would be the last year of the SEUC for about another 4 years, and I didn't want to wait.  So far, with a little knowledgeable prodding from us owners, the MoCo has been good about fixing the problems, and with the exception of Dynosaur and his unfortunate accident with the engine locking up, none of the issues have been catastophic. So I'm hoping, with time, and no serious failure, that I can put up with any "first-year bugs" that will show up, and just tackle each one as they happen.   ;)

2012 FLHXSE3

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 11:22:06 AM »

AJ,
I agree with you 100%.  My dealer does the same thing and says you can't believe everything you read online...and then I tell him to check with the MoCo to see if they've heard of some of the issues and the Service Manager will 3 times out of 4 come back to me and tell me, you're right, they have heard of the issue, it just hasn't filtered down to us yet.  So, I kind of use the same logic with the dealers, you can't believe everything you hear from them, either. ::)  Like you, I do a lot of post readings to see the experiences my fellow bros have been having.  It's hard to not believe real-life/real-time issues.  That's one of things I love about this forum...there are guys that are light years ahead of me when it comes to wrenching.  (I have nothing but left thumbs when it comes to doing that stuff :P ).  So I take a lot of the advice they give onboard, because they speak from experience.  I too love my Jester and I just got done having a great ride on it today, and I want the same as you, as I think everyone one does, a properly working machine that will give us the least amount of headaches and years of enjoyment.  I bought the '07 knowing that I was buying a "first-year" model.  I don't normally do that, but I wanted a SEUC, and I thought, that if history repeats itself, 07 would be the last year of the SEUC for about another 4 years, and I didn't want to wait.  So far, with a little knowledgeable prodding from us owners, the MoCo has been good about fixing the problems, and with the exception of Dynosaur and his unfortunate accident with the engine locking up, none of the issues have been catastophic. So I'm hoping, with time, and no serious failure, that I can put up with any "first-year bugs" that will show up, and just tackle each one as they happen.   ;)

Yes, Yes, Yes

Red I have read this over a dozen times and waited a day for it to sink in more before I replied.

I could not agree more. I wanted an Ultra. I wanted a Screamin Eagle. I knew if I didn't act now I may not have the opportunity to own a new one for several years or even ever again. This is why I am so persnickety when it comes to my bike. I don't like it when someone else touches it for fear of scratching it or doing some damage. If I do it and I make a mistake, so be it. All I want is to know that when I turn that key it will run well every single time.

I think we have bought an excellent motorcycle. I think there are some inherent problems. I am hopeful that they will be resolved. I think that by our discussing those problems in an open forum without financial pressure (advertising dollars spent here) we can find out what those and other problems are. By talking and riding with others, we are able to share our common problems and find a solution. If we leave it up to the dealers to inform us, we may never know there is a problem. Case in point is the leaking head gasket.

I value my dealer and am willing to spend additional dollars at their store for quality products. It makes for a win win situation. I just need to feel comfortable that they are as on top of their game as much or more than we are.

AJ

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 02:15:36 PM »

We have some of the brightest and astute people residing on this site regarding these CVO's! Period!!! You can rely on our Guru's word when determining issues you may have. When you take that info back with you to your dealer for repair, don't let anyone BS you that they don't have those issues. You will be perceived as a well-informed owner that is up to date and expects nothing less than perfection. As BLM tried warning me of HD monitoring this site, don't for a minute believe that they don't know how good we are either. Do not be afraid or intimidated by the fact that they monitor us. We should be applauded by HD for them using us as a testing program. Ride within the parameters of the design and maintain it by the book or better. You will be covered eventually. The more knowledgable you are, the better you'll be treated. We were treated like Gold when we went to the York Factory. We buy their Flagships and know our chit! We deserve nothing less than the best! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 07:51:31 PM »

We have some of the brightest and astute people residing on this site regarding these CVO's! Period!!! You can rely on our Guru's word when determining issues you may have. When you take that info back with you to your dealer for repair, don't let anyone BS you that they don't have those issues. You will be perceived as a well-informed owner that is up to date and expects nothing less than perfection. As BLM tried warning me of HD monitoring this site, don't for a minute believe that they don't know how good we are either. Do not be afraid or intimidated by the fact that they monitor us. We should be applauded by HD for them using us as a testing program. Ride within the parameters of the design and maintain it by the book or better. You will be covered eventually. The more knowledgable you are, the better you'll be treated. We were treated like Gold when we went to the York Factory. We buy their Flagships and know our chit! We deserve nothing less than the best! Hoist! 8)

Right on!  I hope they would treat ALL their customers like Gold!  I know some dealers do, just need them all to follow the rules of engagement!!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 07:57:33 PM »

Right on!  I hope they would treat ALL their customers like Gold!  I know some dealers do, just need them all to follow the rules of engagement!!

My dealer treats me very well, almost special...I like to think it's because they treat everyone that way, but hoping it's because I have a CVO.

2012 FLHXSE3

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 12:44:09 AM »

CB,
Those that have had the "problem" have seen it around 7K miles.  It's not so much of an out-and-out leak, but more of a seepage.  In most cases you have to get down on your knees and look at the gasket area by the rear header with a flashlight to see anything.  So far, no one has had a catastrophic failure because of the head gasket seepage.  HD may come out with a service bulletin to tell the dealerships that when they do a service on a bike to check the head gaskets for seepage and if they see it, replace it.  This would be a lot easier (read cheaper) for the MoCo to do then a general recall becaise everyone is entitled to have the head gaskets replaced whether they have a problem or not if they do a recall.  Ride the bike like you normally would ride it, and if the gasket starts seeping, have them replaced.  I haven't noticed (knock on wood) anything with mine yet.  I would venture to guess that all new 110's coming from the Wisconsin plant, probably have the new gaskets installed already and won't pose a problem.  As far as the clearance issue, if you hear excessive noise coming out of the rocker boxes have them checked by the dealership.  Or if you have to have the gasket replaced have them check your rocker boxes for proper clearance.  Again, it's an issue that, so far, has not caused any catastrophic failures.  You have a warranty that will cover the repairs...the seeping gasket is more of an inconvenience, due to down-time of your ride, than anything else.  Hopefully, it's not happening to every 110 motor...if/when it does happen to mine, I'll simply take it in, have them replace the gaskets and then check to make sure I have proper clearance in the rocker boxes too...

Please take note of the date of this post. My, how the time seems to fly by. Charlie, how are those rocker boxes?

ox666

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE4
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 05:25:42 AM »

I, like some others on this site, have two left thumbs and I am extremely grateful for the raft of information from those that are more than technically/mechanically proficient.  It has put me streets ahead when talking to my dealer about 110 issues.  In fact, thanks to this site, the service manager at my dealer got his first heads up about potential problems from me because of the discussion here.  That discussion by the way also scared the crap out of me and the potential lemon I may have bought.  This thread has now given me some comfort and I thank you.

Anyway, in other threads there have been questions about the MoCo letter of 11 August to owners regarding the 0906 campaign.  Those questions have largely come from forum members residing outside the US who haven't had such a letter yet.  Harley-Davidson Australia wrote to its dealers on 25th August re campaigns 0135, 0905 and 0906 and stated, among other things, the following:

[u]0905 Update[/u]  we have a limited number of kits for this program.  Please send your orders for vehicles either "Off Road" of "known to the dealer" as problem vehicles.  Once we have over come the known problem vehicles we can send kits to dealers for booked vehicles only.

0906 Update  the kits for this program are still in "Transit".  We have a limited number of kits available for this program.  Send orders for either off road.......'as above'.

Harley-Davidson Australia does "NOT" notify the public in regards to Product Programs, It is in the best interest that the dealer identifies these vehicles..........there should be no reason to fill your workshops with these programs, we are suggesting these programs be spread across a period of time.
Without this board I would not have known about campaign 0906 and would not have known how to check my VIN no. on the MoCo site for any problems.

I'd be interested to know whether that communication was unique to Australia/NZ or whether the same applies to UK Europe and RSA as well.

I'd also be grateful for any feedback from this board.

BTW - I hope I posted in the right thread.

p.s.  If the MoCo are reading this, I live in Upper Kumbuctah West via Korweingeeboora   

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 08:40:25 AM »

(...)
p.s.  If the MoCo are reading this, I live in Upper Kumbuctah West via Korweingeeboora  
So right outside of Melbourne?

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

ox666

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE4
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 08:46:09 AM »

Not quite, but it'll do.

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 25 queries.