Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 SERK - Flush mounted fuel cap problems  (Read 2115 times)

mirak63

2007 SERK - Flush mounted fuel cap problems
« on: May 18, 2016, 12:16:28 PM »

Some time ago my flush mounted fuel cap began sticking.  I was far from home and needed fuel so I used my pocket knife to get it to pop up. Since then, it sticks off and on and I've had to do the same thing.   

I recently contacted HD and asked for the fuel cap and the trim ring.   They informed me that I needed to purchase the fuel indicator & cap kit (left and right side) for $200 or so.  Is there any recourse?  All in need is the cap and trim ring.   What about part number 63139-10A.   It looks identical.

I've already lubricated the cap springs and its no use.  The cap itself is in contact with the trim ring.

hubbz

• Junior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5 Anniversary #645

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2007 SERK - Flush mounted fuel cap problems
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 02:24:41 PM »

The original cap part number was superceded and is now 63135-10A.  The trim ring is still 63039-07.  See the attached screen print for current pricing from a 20% discount dealership (Surdyke).  I have no idea why the dealership you contacted fed you that line of stuff about having to buy that $200 kit.  Incompetence perhaps, or  :nixweiss:.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 - CVO Screaming Eagle Road King.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »

Some time ago my flush mounted fuel cap began sticking.  I was far from home and needed fuel so I used my pocket knife to get it to pop up. Since then, it sticks off and on and I've had to do the same thing.   

I recently contacted HD and asked for the fuel cap and the trim ring.   They informed me that I needed to purchase the fuel indicator & cap kit (left and right side) for $200 or so.  Is there any recourse?  All in need is the cap and trim ring.   What about part number 63139-10A.   It looks identical.

I've already lubricated the cap springs and its no use.  The cap itself is in contact with the trim ring.
My sticking issues on mine, turned out to be the tiny thin O-ring on the outer edge of the cap.  It seals the cap itself from spillage.  I found it was kind of beat up and pealing.  I replaced the O-ring, and my cap works fine now..
Just a thought...
good luck
Glen

Jcarl08

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • SPIARTSgraphics
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »

It has been a number of years that I created a post on flush mounted gas caps. Not able to surface the post I will keep it simple. I began lubricating that rubber o-ring with chassis grease quarterly. Using only my fingers and a light application of grease, this has been my practice sense 2007. I am still using the same cap.
Jcarl
• I picked up my pal October 12, 2007
This is my slogan coined years ago, "I love to ride and ride what I love" I am an artist and photographer down in Houston, Texas that loves the two wheel experience.

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 21 queries.