Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: HD Investigated for Brake Failure  (Read 9853 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: HD Investigated for Brake Failure
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 06:15:58 PM »

Question for the brake experts on here that seems related.  Recently after some fairly spirited mountain roads one of the CVO Ultras in our group experienced the rear brakes getting weak.  The bike eventually got better after slowing down and getting out of the mountains. Is this a case that would probably be advisable to flush the rear system?  I assume the pads or fluid in the rear caliper got hot.
Happened to me last year going up Sandia Crest Byway riding two-up and pulling a trailer.  I was going UP so was not using either of the brakes very much at all.  But when I did need to slow down for a sharp curve I found I had no rear brake, and oh yeah, I lost my clutch also.  This was due to both the rear brake line and the clutch line being extremely close to the cat portion of the exhaust causing the fluid to overheat and boil.  Has happened to several folks I know.  So yes he definitely should flush the old brake fluid.  I know that I'll be flushing all lines using brake fluid every two years from now on.  Losing rear brake and clutch in the mountains ain't nothing to take lightly.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »

When did HD document changing the brake fluid every two years? After the fact of the ABS brake failures?? I couldn't find it in my service manual, supplement or owners manual, of course I could have missed it. For some reason I've been flushing the hydraulic systems out on a yearly basis, I've looked to see what they recommend as far as quantity to use while flushing and again I've seen nothing. My recent flush I prolly used 20 ounces  doing the brakes. Starting on the rear then front right and front left last.  :nixweiss:
The clutch is much less in volume so not nearly as much used to flush but it's always cruddy looking, someone told me that graphite lube is used in the clutch closed system as to why it looks the way it does.

I've had my rear brake fade on occasion while riding like a wildman through the mountains but it returns to normal after a cool down period.

Just trying to learn

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 10:20:37 AM »

When did HD document changing the brake fluid every two years? After the fact of the ABS brake failures?? I couldn't find it in my service manual, supplement or owners manual, of course I could have missed it. For some reason I've been flushing the hydraulic systems out on a yearly basis, I've looked to see what they recommend as far as quantity to use while flushing and again I've seen nothing. My recent flush I prolly used 20 ounces  doing the brakes. Starting on the rear then front right and front left last.  :nixweiss:
The clutch is much less in volume so not nearly as much used to flush but it's always cruddy looking, someone told me that graphite lube is used in the clutch closed system as to why it looks the way it does.

I've had my rear brake fade on occasion while riding like a wildman through the mountains but it returns to normal after a cool down period.

Just trying to learn

TN
I've had read articles and had friends and techs tell me that after this happens you should flush the fluid as it will have been degraded and its boiling point will have been lowered.

Jerry

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 10:31:52 AM »

I know at least one member here that has replaced his dot 4 fluid with dot 5.1 because of the higher boiling temp it's rated for.

Ride Hard

TN

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 11:47:25 AM »

Just trying to learn

TN

This happens very frequently out here, and so much so that on Pikes Peak they will check your rotor temps with that laser thing at a check point and make you pull over if they are too hot.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »

Folks who ride a lot in the mountains probably should invest in the highest boiling point fluid they can find, but even that won't necessarily keep them from having brake fade if they don't let the brakes cool between applications.  As I mentioned before, even if the fluid doesn't boil the pads themselves also cause fade.  On a bike it also doesn't help that the rotor material doesn't have the best heat rejection properties.  Cast iron is used on cars for a reason, but bikers don't want to see all that unsightly surface rust so they get stainless instead.  Other materials are available of course, but the price tag puts those out of reach for all but the racing teams and the few regular folks with tons of money to burn.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2016, 07:04:11 AM »

2009 Owners manual does list to change the brake fluid every two years in the maintenance chart, brake fluid,  footnote 4.

TN

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2016, 08:05:45 AM »

The only brake failure I've ever experienced was back in 2012, (I think), on Ol' Maudie, in Maggie Valley.  That's one time Ol' Hub did use the Front Brake!  Scary.  My fault.  I had never changed the Brake Fluid, or flushed the system.  Didn't have a clue it was a PM procedure.  Again, my fault.  Won't happen again, if the fluid is the sole reason for failure.  And, if you've ever ridden behind me, and paid any attention to my riding style, you'll notice my brake lites don't lite up often, when running through twisties.  Hot brakes don't work!  Back in the day, when we had those sorry-assed mechanical drum brakes, I was taught by one of my heroes, to use the Tranny as the brakes.  I still ride that way today.  Sounds good, too, backin' off from about 5000 R's!!!  Our Transmissions are almost bullet-proof.  That's one component on a Harley that almost nobody bitches about.  I really abuse my Transmission, and, knock on wood, it keeps right on performing.  Slows me down safer than brakes, in that application, IMHO.  But what do I know?  We've all got different riding styles.  Ride to live--Live to ride!!!  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD       
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:11:45 AM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2016, 08:40:53 AM »

2009 Owners manual does list to change the brake fluid every two years in the maintenance chart, brake fluid,  footnote 4.

TN

I believe the only way to properly bleed the ABS is with the use of the Digital Technician to actuate the valves.  This is the area the ABS modules have been failing.  REcent clutch issues and thhis one seem to have to do with corrosion from the fluid.  Did something change with the fluid they are using or perhaps the metal /alloy/ aluminum?
Any day on the bike is a good day.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2016, 08:56:49 AM »

How many ounces of brake fluid does the ABS module hold? There are other devices that can do the same thing while bleeding the abs system, (technoresearch, twintec) only option for a DIY'er like me.

TN
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 22 queries.