Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Detroit to Gatlinburg and back. My first long ride...ever.  (Read 2637 times)

Dejad

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic CVO
Detroit to Gatlinburg and back. My first long ride...ever.
« on: July 13, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »

So, this was my first long ride ever and I really had no idea what to expect. I had done my homework and gone over the bike as well as I know how to, planned my daily wardrobe and my budget, packed all my equipment carefully, I talked to many friends who have done this numerous times and I still felt ill-prepared. But off I went, down the highway to meet up with the rest of the pack. Their were 5 of us for the ride down and a 6th would join us in Gatlinburg. After topping off the tanks we got on the road and somewhere in Ohio the 3 back riders pulled off into a rest area and removed their rain gear since it wasn't raining, me and the lead rider stopped at the end of the entrance ramp to the highway. Seeing the other 3 coming out to the the road, I started my bike. But when I rolled on the throttle, I had nothing.... It would only go fast enough to allow me top pick my feet up. I shut it off, a prayer was said and miraculously, it was back at full song. After arriving in Gatlinburg, I called a friend who said he had heard of something called "limp mode" and it sounds like I may have unknowingly caused this myself in some weird combination of ignition twisting and button pushing frenzy I had gotten myself into on the side of the highway.

After a few more gas stops we got to Lexington and stopped for some chow. Back on the road, we were trying to outrun a fairly scary looking rain storm and we made it to Mount Vernon, Ky before we needed a top off and to slip into the rain gear. We rode for what seemed like a very long time in a steady but not heavy rain, another first for me. I've been caught in a rain shower or two around town but never experienced a 1000 lb motorcycle on the highway, in the rain, for a few hours straight. I did get some good information from the other riders and it was a total non-event. After the rains came the humidity. I have to say, my Nelson Rigg rain gear performed perfectly and is as good as keeping warmth (heat, sweat) in, as it is at keeping the rain out. For $53 I consider it a fantastic investment. As we rolled into Pigeon Forge the humidity really started to kick my butt.

Arriving in Gatlinburg was a big deal for me. A personal goal had been met, I had ridden like I never had before. New bike, long distance, on the highway, in the rain. A day of firsts to be sure...  I had been told by everyone I talked to that I should be ready to feel like I got hit by a bus after a ride that long but I tell you, I felt great considering I had just spent the better part of 12 hours on a bike. Hot and sweaty was a small price to pay for the kind of day I'd just had.

We spent the next four days cruising through the mountains and having a great time. We went to Maggie Valley for the Thunder in the Smokies rally and had a blast there as well. We decided the trip home would be split into 2 rides, Gatlinburg to Dayton and Dayton to Detroit. It's a good thing we did that by the time we got to Dayton, we were all beat to death. We were bucking a 30+ mph crosswind all the way. The ride to Detroit was no smoother, same wind but a little warmer. I actually felt worse getting home than I did when I got to Tennessee.

Can't wait to go on another trip like that one. A great time.   

Dejad

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

Re: Detroit to Gatlinburg and back. My first long ride...ever.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 01:07:05 PM »

Some pics...

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 01:35:52 PM »

Congratulations. I can feel you sense of accomplishment in your post. Lot's of fun i am sure as i remember when I started heading out on these longer trips many years ago. Remember it's less about the destination and more about the ride . You will have many stories to tell over time and they will bring you and your buddies closer together as you enjoy many of these experiences  together. From time to time "stuff" will happen to you or others . Try and remember while everyone is laughing it could be you next time so go easy on them.
Ride safe and keep the rubber side down.

Dejad

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 01:57:51 PM »

Thanks for the input, LMH. I was trying to convey my enthusiasm without sounding like a giddy school girl. Here's another pic.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:00:22 PM by Dejad »

Dejad

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 02:01:32 PM »

Another...

Dejad

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 02:03:25 PM »

Cade's Cove...

Dejad

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 02:03:51 PM »

Cade's Cove...

Dejad

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 02:04:55 PM »

Thunder in the Smokies...

Dejad

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 02:05:54 PM »

Thunder in the Smokies...

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »

congrats on a nice accomplishment! :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 08:54:14 PM »

Congrats on your day.  Glad you got a kick out of kicking the travel Gods' collective butts.  Heat, rain, wind and all in one 600 mile or so day.  Well done and it's great to read you enjoyed it.  The real tell tale of a long day, however, is your ass the next morning.  So how many miles was the behind you ready to knock down in front of you that day  ::) :drink: ?

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 09:46:48 AM »

I used to have issues on my 2011 Ultra Limited with limp mode.  After a couple of trip to dealer looking for connector corrosion or galling I started not cranking the bike till the initial check light goes out on the speedo and it never happened again.  Its thought the vibration of the engine causes galling of the connection pins of the throttle body electrical connection.  Guess anything that causes the ECU to sense electrical problems in the throttle by wire could cause the computer to shut the bike down to limp mode.  I found mine would reset itself in about 15 minutes just letting it sit without starting.  Mine always did it at startup after a quick stop but I've read reports of peoples bike doing it on the interstate which could be a serious safety issue.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 12:36:42 PM »

Great post!  These kinds of trips are the ones you'll remember for the rest of your life.  And if you're with you're favorite lady, it will draw the two of you closer together, and it will certainly draw you closer to your bike!
Thanks for posting!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »

Congrats on your first long trip.  We learn by experience. Next time you'll do some things the same and some things different. It's all fun.  Enjoy
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 09:44:21 AM »

The long rides are addicting.  You'll want to go again, soon and longer this time.  ;)
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.